The Sewing Place

Am I the first to give in?

wrenkins

Am I the first to give in?
« on: June 05, 2017, 13:19:10 PM »
Yesterday I ordered some Christmas fabric to make up for gifts.  :'(  :'(  :'(
Is anyone else gonna 'fess up or am I the only eejit?
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Vegegrow

Re: Am I the first to give in?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 13:34:23 PM »
got some in the stash  ;)
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

wrenkins

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 13:44:03 PM »
Oh good vege. Not just me then.
I too have some in the stash but my sis-in-law doesn't like trad. Have you any idea how far away purple is from Christmas?  :x
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 14:17:23 PM »
Surely there's a law about not mentioning the C word in the first 6 months of the year.
Life's too short for ironing.

wrenkins

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 14:44:53 PM »
I wasn't sure if that law applied to ingredients.
I had to start early because of her dubious taste in colours.  :|
Sorry purple lovers.  :(

Efemera

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 15:26:47 PM »
I've just bought this to make gifts...already have the fabrics...

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 17:26:46 PM »
There should be a law about not mentioning X*** before 12th December ..... a fortnight is long enough  :devil:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

wrenkins

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 18:25:22 PM »
My tree goes up on Christmas Eve and comes down twelve days later. If my pals knew I was even thinking about it I'd be locked up. They'd think I'd lost my marlies.  :|
I had to start early. Purple! I'll put off making it because I can't bear looking at it. I've had a helluva job picking it.  :x

maliw

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 21:08:53 PM »
I got an e-mail from Fabric Guild today and part of that was about Christmas fabrics. I didn't succumb as I have a box full of Christmas fabric but one or two were very tempting.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Lantana

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 15:56:12 PM »
My tree goes up on Christmas Eve and comes down twelve days later. If my pals knew I was even thinking about it I'd be locked up. They'd think I'd lost my marlies.  :|
I had to start early. Purple! I'll put off making it because I can't bear looking at it. I've had a helluva job picking it.  :x

You sound like my mum  0_0. She couldn't stand purples mauves those sort of colours. I love them together with jades and made myself this a while back. A cover for a file containing my lists of 'projects' to do sometime or other, ideas for same, UFO's and completed stuff. I love my lists great worry reducers.  :)

It looks much better in real life than on the photo (usually it's the other way round) I was supposed to cut away some of the chiffon/gauze type fabric but couldn't bring myself to do it as it looked alright anyway.

L :vintage:

PS I don't do C*******s until the very last minute and always try to get out of it altogether!

Lowena

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 17:23:42 PM »
That's lovely Lanty  <3
Triumph of hope over experience :D

wrenkins

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2017, 18:16:17 PM »
That is very nice Lantana. I have a few friends whose favourite colour is purple. When I was looking at fabric it kept veering towards pink. I'm not even that big a fan of pink.  :D
I realised many years ago that Christmas is going to happen whether I like it or not so I just go with it. It has made life much easier. Like medicine!  :S

Mama likes to make

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2017, 12:51:59 PM »
I have started a few small bits. My nana is in a nursing home and they have a Christmas fair every year that I try and make some bits to donate for. This year I'm trying to fill a jar with hair bows which is great for using up scraps and I will probably make some bunting and some nativity scene wall hangings.
2018 fabric used 12m.
2018 wardrobe items completed 6.

maliw

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2017, 15:12:42 PM »
Oooh I like that Lantana, I like purple, mauves etc, I had a purple dress for my 21st birthday. A couple or years ago I saw a Christmas tree decked with black and purple, it looked wonderful.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Francesca

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2017, 15:16:17 PM »
I've been planning "Christmas in August" for a while now. Although I'm planning to sew my New Year's Eve dress in August now actually (friend's wedding) and then gifts in the late part of October. Never too early!

I love Christmas. I have a lot of people to buy for so I start in October. Tree goes up 1st December  :D