The Sewing Place

Quilt Labels?

Lilian

Quilt Labels?
« on: June 05, 2017, 16:04:37 PM »
I have just found out I have to put a label on my quilt  :[ I have an idea what to do but am  -<

How and what do you all use to label your quilts?

:vintage:
  • Kad likes this
Willing but not always able :)

Kad

Re: Quilt Labels?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 16:51:46 PM »
Hi, I usually use a piece of the quilt backing fabric and either fabric pens or embroidery ( hand or machine),  to note who the quilt was created for, when, why - if for instance a new baby,  and who made it.
I then place it in a corner of the quilt so two sides are enclosed by the binding and I only have to slip- stitch the other two sides.

You could always use specially designed fabric quilt labels and just write on the details.

Hope that gives you some ideas  :)
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 17:14:38 PM »
I've only done 3 quilted things but all are unlabelled.
Life's too short for ironing.

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 17:22:21 PM »
I have never labelled any of mine. It's not as if they'll ever become heirlooms  :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 17:36:01 PM »
I tend, now, to embroider labels using my font stitch on a double sided tab (think Levis)

But have embroidered straight onto the border (especially if its a wall hanging and the back would never be seen)

Sometimes a simply embroidered label can be appliqued on the back....

Or embroidered on the prototype block, appliqued to the back ....

And early on, before I had The Splurge with the embroidered font option, have printed the labels through my printer ....

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 17:37:03 PM »
I have never labelled any of mine. It's not as if they'll ever become heirlooms

How can you say that Low???!!!! ><
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Acorn

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 17:40:47 PM »
Iminei, the backs of your quilts are so beautiful! 
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Sakar

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 18:09:15 PM »
I take a piece of fabric, write on, what I think is useful (depending on which purpose the quilt was made for), suround it with a nice border (usually some left-over fabrics from the front) and then I hand-sew it to the backside.

Generally I notice...

Quilt name
person, who will get it (if it's a present)
Sewed and quilted by Sakar (or whoever has done the quilting)
finished in 2017

Lilian

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 18:13:22 PM »
Great ideas, thank you all.  Imi, yours are lovely!  I don't have fonts on my machine and can't hand sew much now my fingers are dodgy.

I read about always labeling your quilts as they will become heirlooms, this first one I made needs a label with the baby's name and d.o.b. etc.,

I have ordered some laundry pens in different colours and plan to write or stencil the info onto a piece of backing fabric and then hopefully I can applique it to the back.  :)  :vintage:

EDIT:  Can I think of a name for this quilt...   no :(
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 18:16:16 PM by Lilian »

Lowena

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 19:16:56 PM »
My quilts don't have names ( why would they? my cushions don't have names either  :D)
I know they won't become heirlooms because...
 a) they're piled up in the workshop and no one ever asks to see them, let alone want them.
b) they're not well made enough to withstand time  :|

Lilian

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 19:37:01 PM »
My quilts don't have names ( why would they? my cushions don't have names either  :D)
 a) they're piled up in the workshop and no one ever asks to see them, let alone want them.

That's a shame Lowena, they will need airing, I don't think I would keep them in a corner.  I intend to make everything I make, something to use or wear.  I won't name this one as it has the Holly Hobbie writing on it and it is a gift.

Can you not sell them or donate?

I wouldn't have room to store them, my stash takes up most of the space.  :fabric:  :vintage:

Deafoldbat

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 19:43:53 PM »
I know they won't become heirlooms

But when your quilts end up in the charity shop (as you insist they will), someone will come along and see a label and wonder who you were. Just because (you think) no one in your family values your work, it doesn't mean that no one else will.

they're not well made enough to withstand time

Quilts are made to be used. They will wear out eventually (some of mine went via the dog beds) but they should give someone pleasure first. Give them to Project Linus, if you like. And don't say they aren't good enough, or I'll think you've been wearing a hat again! ;)

shadykittykat

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2017, 20:25:31 PM »
I made a quilt each for my 3dd's they are not well made as I didn't know what I was doing! (still don't  0_0 ) they have survived being dragged about including outside, on sleepovers and on picnics. They have been weed on  :o sicked on and been through the wash 100's of times. So I'm sure Low your quilts would more than withstand some use  :)
Kate
Running, sewing, eating

Vegegrow

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2017, 20:44:45 PM »

Oh Low... right... label them and write one of your granddaughters names on each one  store them well and I can guarantee that they will love that you put time effort and love into each one and though they may not appreciate them now they will in the future.  oh and cut up and burn that hat on your garden bonfire
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Lowena

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2017, 10:24:45 AM »
I think my hat has been pinched by Imi  for her Japanese project  :P Vege and DOB, so no need to oil your broomsticks just yet  :D
However... Lilian, I do shake them out occasionally and refold them  :angel:
DOB , they're really not perfect enough for Linus, but I do intend to make some specially to send  :angel:
Vege.... I doubt my GDs will ever want a quilt of mine ( they are "Primark kids" and have Primark fleecy throws ) The ones I made them have disappeared without trace, except for the eldest's and that's over the back of a bedroom chair  -< Still....who knows, when / if I ever have greatgrandbabies  :D
Still, I make them for the pleasure of making them and don't care if after a quick photo for here and FB and a quick perusal from OH ( always with the comment  " I like that" ) and one evening on the sofa around my knees ( just to say it's been used ) it ends up in the pile in the workshop..........without a label  :ninja: