The Sewing Place

Socks - Top Down or Toe Up

Ann

Socks - Top Down or Toe Up
« on: September 07, 2021, 17:21:34 PM »
I've knit socks but gave up 2 years ago struggling with picking up stitches for the gusset and joining to the front stitches without a hole showing up that needed darning. I also got into doing a lot of other knitting that took over life and I've been clawing back so I can knit what I want to knit.

Over a year ago I found the Sloth Series when looking for information on how to knit the Hermoine's Every Day socks. This is one lady's take on knitting socks using her tried and true techniques and the pattern from Hermoine's Every Day socks. I didn't have time to knit the socks until mid August of this year.

As this is an old knit along, I followed along on my own. I listened to her video, stopped and knit along, and then listened some more. A lot of questions I had were answered. I had asked these questions at a group where some advanced knitters were helping people. They couldn't answer my questions.

These socks were a total success for me. I felt so good when I finished them. From casting on to finishing the toe, I learned so much.

I am now knitting another pair of socks so we can give DD 2 pairs of hand knit socks for Christmas.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Cazlyn

Re: Socks - Top Down or Toe Up
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2021, 17:25:13 PM »
Thanks for that.  I love knitting socks and have completed Hermione’s but like you tend to end up with a hole when picking up - I’ll have a look at the link.
Crafting is my happy place

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2021, 17:29:17 PM »
Hermoine's Every Day socks is a pretty standard top down, flap and gusset sock and for me those are the ones that fit best. 

The trick to not getting a hole is to pick up a stitch right in the corner - even if it means picking up an extra stitch.  Just do an extra decrease to get back to the required number of stitches.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Deafoldbat

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2021, 19:16:48 PM »
@Ann I got this book (Custom Socks) a couple of years ago. Useful info on sizing, knitting down or up, etc and selection of patterns. My socks fit me now...

https://kateatherley.com/custom-socks/

Ann

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2021, 21:06:27 PM »
@Deafoldbat, I'm going to see if I can get that book from the library.

I've started a 2nd pair of socks - top down following along with Knit A Sock. I did the cast on and have 5 rows of ribbing knit now. I'm looking forward to seeing how this pair of socks turns out.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

realale

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2021, 11:40:32 AM »
@Ann Have you seen Celia's sock knit along thread?
So many beers, so little time.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2021, 21:36:29 PM »
@Ann If you want your socks to match, notice where you started the cast-on in the wool (e.g. 20cm before the dark blue )  The wool is dyed in a repeating pattern, so when you do the second sock, wind off some of the wool until you get to the same place in the repeat. (save this, in case you run out at the toe end, but I usually don't.  If it is spare, you can use it for the dolls later) if you cast on at the same place, your socks will match (if you do an equal number of rows, of course)
  • Ann likes this
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m