The Sewing Place

AUTUMN SOCK KNIT ALONG. 2023 New

classical retro

Re: SEPTEMBER SOCK KNIT ALONG
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2021, 23:24:39 PM »
I’ve knitted socks from a kit before so have no idea about yarn or pattern. Any help including stockists gratefully received.
I only buy as much wool as possible socks for winter these days and find the heel gets worn out fairly quickly. Is there anything I need to consider when making hand knitted ones? Is it ok to use 100% wool to knit them?

Thank you
CR :angel:

Ann

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2021, 00:50:44 AM »
@classical retro, look at my post and watch the videos on Knit Socks.

When I knit socks I use wool and nylon. These socks are 75% wool, 25% nylon.  I’m hoping the padded heel on these ones are continued on down until you finish the gusset. I did them on the previous socks to see if they will last longer on DD this winter.

For this pair I’m doing a more difficult pattern and following along. I’m enjoying it so far and am learning lots.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Ploshkin

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2021, 07:57:16 AM »
@classical retro socks are mostly knitted using wool with a small percentage of  nylon.  It is generally called sock yarn and is widely available at any knitting shop or internet supplier. 
A good place for beginners is the Knitting Squirrel website.  She has a very detailed sock knitting tutorial for  first time sock knitters.  That's what I used for my first pair.  I now use a basic free pattern that I had with Opal sock yarn  because it's a good fit for me.
Life's too short for ironing.

classical retro

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2021, 08:49:58 AM »
Thank you Ann and Ploshkin. Research in progress, will need to check what needles I have. Great reason to go charity shopping with crossed fingers that the right ones are there. All being well should be able to join in.

CR :angel:

Celia

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2021, 10:15:26 AM »
If you are looking for a reasonable priced sock yarn I find this one really good, I am just finishing a pair and will post more detail after the weekend when I can photograph them.

https://www.woolwarehouse.co.uk/yarn/drops-fabel-all-colours

Drops do do another sock yarn called delight but I have not found that so good.  I have also used

https://www.woolwarehouse.co.uk/yarn/drops-nord-all-colours

Which is lovely but I can’t say how well it lasts as I made mittens.

https://www.marrineryarns.com/knitting-yarns/marriner-cosy-toes-4-ply-sock-yarn-100g-91.asp

This is another nice and reasonable priced yarn it is however a little thinner but I have knitted it to my usual size and it is fine, very soft yarn though.

Hope these links might help

Starryfish

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2021, 11:09:01 AM »
I'm joining in, I bought a ball of Regia stripe yarn yesterday. I'm abandoning the cardigan I was knitting in black with a lace border as I simply can't see what I am trying to do. It will be unwound and made into something simpler.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2021, 11:35:47 AM »
The Regia wools are brilliant.  I made GS a pair of toddler socks from the leftovers after a grown up pair.  He loved them. They were handed down to another set of GS's and they were as good as new.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Ann

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2021, 13:03:11 PM »
@Ploshkin, I had a look at the Knitting Squirrel and that is a good website to learn how to knit socks. I will be using some of her ideas to knit DDIL and DGS's socks.

The socks are coming along. One sock now has 2 pattern repeats done on it and I will probably do 4-5 repeats in total before I decide if I want to do more than that. DD loves the yarn so she will be happy to have 2 pairs of socks to wear this winter when feeding her horses.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Ploshkin

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2021, 09:43:01 AM »
I dug out a ball of sock yarn and started on a sock last night - thank you @Celia for the nudge.
about 3 years back I bought half a dozen sock yarns with different fibre content to try out.  This one is 50:25:25 wool / polyamide / viscose.  I am not a fan of self patterning yarns and avoid them now but I bought this before I decided that I didn't like them.  It's a 3 ply and looks as if it is coming up a bit small but it is nice and stretchy and I think it will be fine - I like well fitting socks not loose, floppy ones.  In the flesh it's actually more red than orange.  I'm using a free pattern that I got with a ball of sock wool.  It's cuff down.  I had several tries at toe up and just didn't like doing it that way so I stick with cuff down now.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 09:45:24 AM by Ploshkin »
Life's too short for ironing.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2021, 12:03:45 PM »
@Flobear  if you want to make slipper socks, what you need is this:
        Rico Sock Stop - Non-Slip Latex Based Paint  - available from Woolwarehouse but probably lots of places.
You paint  a pattern on the sole of the sock and there you go.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Celia

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2021, 12:19:33 PM »
@Flobear  if you want to make slipper socks, what you need is this:
        Rico Sock Stop - Non-Slip Latex Based Paint  - available from Woolwarehouse but probably lots of places.
You paint  a pattern on the sole of the sock and there you go.

Yes I have used this in the past but not for me so not sure how well it washes etc, anyone else used it?

Flobear

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2021, 18:59:32 PM »
Brilliant @toileandtrouble ! I was wondering what to do about slippery bottoms  ;)
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Celia

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2021, 10:02:02 AM »
Glad to see a few of you have already started your socks, Hee are a few suggestions for patterns

https://www.lovecrafts.com/en-gb/l/knitting/knitting-patterns/free-knitting-patterns/free-sock-knitting-patterns

There are a lot to choose from on this site and mostly free.   

https://www.wyspinners.com/Free%20Patterns/Signature%204ply%20Candy%20Cane%20Christmas%20socks  This is another good pattern for beginners.

If anyone needs help in choosing a pattern or would rather have a pattern to knit too please ask.

This is the knit a long I have just completed https://www.acknitwear.co.uk/blog/tag/Use+Every+Scrap+Knitalong
It is a bit different as it is a toe up sock with an afterthought heel,  I enjoyed it and if anyone else wants to do something different then it is fun. I will post photos later and more details of how I kitted these socks.

Please post a photo of your wool and also tell us a bit about the sort of socks you are going to knit. There is no time limit on when they need to be done but it would be good to have interim photos too.

b15erk

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2021, 10:05:22 AM »
OK.  Tentatively testing the water with my big toe...  I think I'm in!  I thought I had some suitable yarn in the stash, but I can't lay my hands on it, so, OH is going to collect some after work for me from a lady on FB.

It's advertised as Sock Yarn and the name is Rainbow Ioro, although I have no clue as to the brand.

I was going to use the same pattern I used for the last Christmas socks, but wondering now, if I might go for something a little fancier... I will check the links.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Celia

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2021, 10:20:04 AM »
That yarn looks lovely @b15erk

Here is another link for a different sort of heel https://youtu.be/GLdaxC6nzPk I might knit this next I do actually have this book but you could use this heel on any pattern, Jen is very good at her explanations.