The Sewing Place

AUTUMN SOCK KNIT ALONG. 2023 New

Celia

Re: WINTER SOCK KNIT ALONG
« Reply #285 on: November 23, 2021, 09:50:13 AM »
@Ann
They look like an interesting heel construction.  I am at the moment knitting some fingerless gloves and some socks , I do often have two projects on the go as sometimes I need something a bit mindless.

Is anyone else still knitting socks?  If so let us know what.

Flobear

« Reply #286 on: November 23, 2021, 11:56:42 AM »
I haven't properly started my Hearthside slippers yet. What with the delay getting the third colour then three goes at doing the tension square then my Dorset sister asking if I had had a chance to work out the pattern for the 'apple cosy' I've got a bit behind. Oh, and curtain-making.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Ploshkin

« Reply #287 on: November 23, 2021, 14:04:04 PM »
I've just finished a second pair, they're currently wet but will be photographed when dry.
Life's too short for ironing.

Starryfish

« Reply #288 on: November 23, 2021, 17:12:33 PM »
I'm currently wearing my socks I knitted back in October, they are very comfortable. DSIL wants some more for his C*******s present so I've ordered some more wool. Will start them when it arrives.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Turquoise

« Reply #289 on: November 23, 2021, 21:00:47 PM »
I am still knitting my first socks - I haven’t had much time lately but they are coming on well and I’ve got the bug and have bought yarn for 2 more pairs.  Will put photo up when they are finished .  I’m knitting the pebble socks by Mina Philipp.

Ann

« Reply #290 on: November 23, 2021, 21:24:39 PM »
@Celia, I now do the heel down to the end of the gusset as it is suppose to give more padding where they could wear out. I wait and see if it works or not.

I have 1.25" left to knit on the first sock's foot and then will be doing the 2nd sock. After that the toes and I'm done. Then on to DDIL's socks. Then knitting will be done for Xmas. I do have some sewing to do and I need to get some gifts bought. We have had a good rain storm hit yesterday and we are still under a rain warning. It has turned cool and I'm sure we will have flurries tonight.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Pearl

« Reply #291 on: November 26, 2021, 15:02:12 PM »
Please could someone recommend some self-patterning sock yarn with a co-ordinating plain yarn?  I like WYS Peacock but can’t find it in stock anywhere.

Turquoise

« Reply #292 on: November 26, 2021, 16:06:43 PM »
@Pearl - at the time of writing this there are 5 balls of peacock available here https://thefoundryworks.co.uk/shop/yarn/west-yorkshire-spinners-signature-4ply

Hopefully they will still have some when you look.  I have bought some of the Robin colourway

Pearl

« Reply #293 on: November 26, 2021, 16:25:42 PM »
Thanks, @Turquiose .  Have ordered Peacock and Blue raspberry for the cuffs, heels and toes.

Turquoise

« Reply #294 on: November 26, 2021, 16:30:58 PM »
That’s great you got some @Pearl - I was worried it might be gone if you didn’t see this message for a while.

I like the idea of plain cuffs, heels etc, do you have a specific pattern or will you just change a pattern (asking as I’m a sock novice and tempted by the idea) :)

Pearl

« Reply #295 on: November 26, 2021, 16:32:47 PM »
I’ll just use my usual basic sock pattern and change it up.

Ploshkin

« Reply #296 on: November 27, 2021, 14:07:02 PM »
I've finished my second pair of socks.  I had been intending to do a lacy pattern but thought they were looking too much like bedsocks so went for a simple K6 P2 (on alternate rows) rib.  Just because I'd never done it before I did Eye of Partridge stitch for the heel flap, which is just an offset slip stitch rib.  I think it makes a slightly denser flap but I think that the usual slip stitch rib would have looked better with the rib pattern of the sock.
So, here they are and I think that's me socked out for this year. Thank you @Celia for starting this off and giving me a nudge.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Life's too short for ironing.

Celia

« Reply #297 on: November 27, 2021, 14:16:20 PM »
No problem @Ploshkin i am really glad people have joined in and enjoyed it.  I am knitting some fingerless gloves in slip-stitch at the moment I do also have some socks on the needles.

I have really enjoyed seeing everyone’s socks do keep posting  :loveit: everyone has done so well

Pearl

« Reply #298 on: November 27, 2021, 16:28:31 PM »
Love your socks, @Ploshkin !

I’m never going to stop knitting socks!

Lowena

« Reply #299 on: November 27, 2021, 16:29:40 PM »
I wish I could knit  :embarrassed: you're all so clever :grouphug:
Triumph of hope over experience :D