The Sewing Place

AUTUMN SOCK KNIT ALONG. 2023 New

b15erk

Re: SEPTEMBER SOCK KNIT ALONG
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2021, 10:27:57 AM »
Ok, well, I've has a look, and they all look very complicated.  :facepalm:

So, I think I will go with the pattern I used before, which is from VeryPink.com, and is the Toe-Up Socks, Using German Short Rows.  The sizes fit Men, Women and children, and her explanation of the process is excellent.  Very plain, but as I'm using Rainbow yarn, that's OK.

One day I'll progress to a fancy cable... :rolleyes:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ellabella

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2021, 10:55:19 AM »
I’m in a little late.

I haven’t finished my cardigan but love socks and need a change so don’t tell @Lowena but I’m putting it away for a while.

I’ll sort out yarn later but intend to do two at once on long cables as I have severe second sock syndrome.

Will look for yarn and choose a pattern later, there must be something in the stash. 

Celia

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2021, 11:41:18 AM »
@b15erk thats the other one I was thinking of doing next, now I don’t know which one to start?
https://youtu.be/if6V-gNT-Ng
A link for anyone else that’s interested

Flobear

« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2021, 11:48:14 AM »
Woo hoo! I did a tension square for some leftover wool and, wonder of wonders, it came out exactly right for the pattern. That NEVER happens! Only problem is that I haven't got enough for the whole job.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Starryfish

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2021, 11:55:10 AM »
I don't knit socks very often so I forget how to turn the heel every time! I've done it now using a very helpful tutorial on german short rows.
https://nimble-needles.com/tutorials/german-short-row-heel-tutorial/

For some reason I couldn't get it right with the Regia leaflet I have used in the past, my brain just wouldn't work with it. Of course the bottle of red wine I was sharing at the time didn't help.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Ploshkin

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2021, 12:50:57 PM »
@Flobear what is your wool that you haven't got enough of?  I've got loads of sock wool, I may have something that will fit in with what you have.
Life's too short for ironing.

Flobear

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2021, 15:34:00 PM »
Thank you @Ploshkin a kind offer. It's not sock wool, I'm knitting slipper socks and am using Drops Nepal left over from my cardi and hat. I may have something to go with it or I could order an odd ball in.

Ploshkin

« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2021, 17:03:14 PM »
@Flobear  I have some leftover Drops Nepal in light grey and (I think) a red / orange colour.  Any good for a stripe or two?

Flobear

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2021, 17:16:07 PM »
Ooh. Grey would work as the colour I have is a slightly bluish pink. Red/orange prob. clashy with that.

Ploshkin

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2021, 19:23:52 PM »
Now I have to find it.  I think I know where it is.

b15erk

« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2021, 19:42:14 PM »
My yarn has arrived!!  Now what do I do with it?  I haven't had anything like this since the olden days!!  :scream: :thinking:

Do I wash it? Or use it as it is?  The most effort I usually put in is finding the end bit in the middle of the ball...

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

BrendaP

« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2021, 21:51:52 PM »
My yarn has arrived!!  Now what do I do with it?  I haven't had anything like this since the olden days!!  :scream: :thinking:

Do I wash it? Or use it as it is?  The most effort I usually put in is finding the end bit in the middle of the ball...

Jessie

It's not usual to wash yarn unless it is obviously soiled.  Better wait and then wash the finished item; that will help smooth out any irregularities.

As for finding the end bit in the middle of the ball ...   :scream:
It's a hot topic, some people like to pull from the middle, others of us much refer to work from the outside.  The reasons why I don't like pulling from the middle is that it always gets to a point where the whole lot collapses and then I have to try and sort it whilst it's connected to the knitting, and more often than not fishing around for that end  results in a tangled birdsnest coming out rather than a single end. 

The only time I pull from the middle is if I'm rewinding using a winder, the ball jumps around less and pulling it all in one go means it gets further in before it collapses.  I usually only rewind if I'm trying to divide a large ball into two  so that I can work both socks at the same time.  If it's a patterned yarn I might rewind several times in order to find the colour repeat.  I do like my socks to be identical twins, not fraternal siblings.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

BrendaP

« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2021, 21:54:56 PM »
I've made a start.  The plan is to use turquoise (which is rather lighter and brighter than in the photo) in every  alternate stripe with different colours between.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

classical retro

« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2021, 22:34:44 PM »
Embarrassingly, I didn't finish the sock kit socks so now's my chance. I am doing the Unisex Socks. I don't have the ball band and there is only one ball, but the wool is soft so that's a bonus.

The kit has 5 pins, 3mm by the looks of things, which I didn't use last time. I'm wondering whether that was because I needed 3.25 to get the correct gauge.  Is knitting with 5 like knitting on 3 but with fewer stitches per pins?  (52 to cast on.)

I also like the idea of doing two at once so at least there is some chance of them being the same size. Do I knit one from the outer ball and the other from inside the ball or divide the one ball in half as best I can?

Thank you Celia for starting this. You've got me motivated to start knitting again. Only 1 other UFO!

CR :angel:

Flobear

« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2021, 22:50:02 PM »
Well, @classical retro , knitting on 5 means exactly what you say, though strictly speaking the knitting is on 4 needles because the 5th travels round, as it were.

I have tried knitting one item from the outside of the ball and one from the inside but the yarn has to be untangled fairly often which would be more nightmarish with that number of needles as well.  If the yarn is a 100g ball, you could wind off 50g of yarn using kitchen scales to get the right amount.