The Sewing Place

AUTUMN SOCK KNIT ALONG. 2023 New

Celia

Re: WINTER SOCK KNIT ALONG
« Reply #330 on: December 07, 2021, 14:42:52 PM »
For anyone thinking about the strips here is a very good you tube https://youtu.be/IXsItKHmmNk to get you started, I have done 1 and 1/2 so will finish soon if I can get back to them, doing a Christmas snowman at the moment

I love different techniques

realale

« Reply #331 on: December 07, 2021, 14:54:08 PM »
For anyone thinking about the strips here is a very good you tube https://youtu.be/IXsItKHmmNk

That's the one I watched  :loveit:
So many beers, so little time.

Flobear

« Reply #332 on: December 07, 2021, 20:14:52 PM »
Latest in Hearthside slipper saga.

Started the upper, it takes a bit of following and I'm having to read it off the laptop screen as it wouldn't print out properly. Looks a bit crooked to me and I don't seem to have the right number of stitches down one side of the foot  ><  Decided to try it on and I think I really need the next size up <sigh>
In consequence, I have 'parked' the right foot and made a start on the left, one size larger.

Next winter, anyone?  ;)
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

toileandtrouble

« Reply #333 on: December 07, 2021, 22:28:36 PM »
@Turquoise  I like your socks - is that a patterned leg, or is it the wool making a plain rib look different?
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Turquoise

« Reply #334 on: December 08, 2021, 07:17:09 AM »
@toileandtrouble - the wool changes colour throughout and there is a pattern on the front side of the sock.  It’s great because it’s very easy (every 4th row the front side is knitted as a 1:1 rib ) and gives a lovely textured effect. 

The pattern is Mina Philips’s Pebble socks.  The pattern uses The German short heel method and I found that a better method for me than the one I used on my practise version using Aran wool, where I picked up stitches.

Pearl

« Reply #335 on: December 09, 2021, 09:34:48 AM »
Next pair finished  :)

Celia

« Reply #336 on: December 09, 2021, 09:45:40 AM »
They look lovely @Pearl. I really want to try that pattern @Flobear so am watching your progress with interest. 

My socks are on hold at the moment as I am knitting some gloves for my son and also some snowmen but here is the progress so far on the helical striped socks, k am knitting them toe up as I am not sure how much wool I have and they are knitted in in Drops Nord.  The colour in the photo is not quite right

Flobear

« Reply #337 on: December 09, 2021, 10:00:15 AM »
I really want to do it too, @Celia  :laughing:

As I said upthread, next winter for the completion?  :S

Celia

« Reply #338 on: December 09, 2021, 13:58:59 PM »
Ok When we changed the  title I didn’t say which winter  :laughing: @Flobear

toileandtrouble

« Reply #339 on: December 09, 2021, 16:53:00 PM »
Second sock finished, delivered them to my friend - forgot to take a picture.   :facepalm:  And I had matched up the stripes too.  Might have another go at mine now.  Or the plain ones.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

realale

« Reply #340 on: December 09, 2021, 18:24:43 PM »
I'm still plodding on with these socks. As I said I'm not a speedy knitter but these seem to be going on for ever. I'll be glad to finish one sock before the daunting task of starting the second.

He can have one sock for Christmas and the second one for his birthday in February. (Still don't like the yarn I'm using.)
So many beers, so little time.

Ouryve

« Reply #341 on: December 10, 2021, 20:29:57 PM »
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

About to cast on. My phone cannot capture how Christmassy a green this yarn is. No way will even the first sock be complete for Christmas, though!
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Celia

« Reply #342 on: December 11, 2021, 10:06:04 AM »
Looks Christmassy to me :loveit:

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #343 on: December 11, 2021, 10:46:56 AM »
Looks Christmassy to me too.
Why does anything green or red look Christmassy this time of year? :laughing:
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Flobear

« Reply #344 on: December 12, 2021, 11:17:30 AM »
Just to prove that I really am attempting to knit Hearthside slippers, here's one that, so far, seems to be working out. But I definitely can't do German short rows in the middle of a long round and watch the telly at the same time  :S  Trouble is, I have to look at the abbreviations Every Time I Knit a Row  :faints: because there are several similar manoeuvres and I daren't get one wrong.

Colours are not that exciting. I chose them from sale stock online. The sole was going to be a shade of British racing green but it was much too turquoisey and looked ghastly with the denim blue.
Pic is a bit fuzzy up close but I think it shows well enough.