Re: WINTER SOCK KNIT ALONG
« Reply #390 on: January 12, 2022, 22:15:00 PM »
Ooh, you gotta love a gusset  ;)
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

b15erk

« Reply #391 on: January 13, 2022, 09:36:13 AM »
Seeing all your lovely socks, I feel like a slacker... :embarrassed:

I did start my second pair, but the project stalled when I had a (minor) problem that I couldn't figure out.

Time to start again I think, as my hat will be done soon and my fingers will start twitching!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Flobear

« Reply #392 on: January 13, 2022, 17:10:27 PM »
Finally!!!

That was quite a tour-de-force, and a challenge even though I'm a pretty experienced knitter. They are a little too large, pity I didn't stick with Med. the size I started with. They're OK if I wear other knitted socks inside them though I still feel there's too much space in the heel. If they weren't so complicated I would unpick and re-knit - but that ain't going to happen  :D

Mr Bear calls them my woolly wellies!

Acorn

« Reply #393 on: January 13, 2022, 17:20:47 PM »
They are lovely, and woolly wellies describes them perfectly!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Starryfish

« Reply #394 on: January 13, 2022, 18:05:00 PM »
Lovely woolly wellies @Flobear !

I'm on a sock knitting roll. Here's a pair for me from West Yorkshire Spinners british wool.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I bought a small knitpro circular needle for this pair as I am having a lot of trouble with stitches falling off the DPNs when I turn the heel. It is a bit fiddly to use but I turned the heel at the first attempt so it's worth it!
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Turquoise

« Reply #395 on: January 14, 2022, 06:38:37 AM »
Love the socks @Starryfish .  I bought some West Yorkshire Spinners wool - seeing your pair is giving me the push to get a move on with it.  I think I got as far as the ribbing but then put it down somewhere…but where?  I’ve been on a tidying/reorganising crusade in my sewing room so keep temporarily losing things  :D

Celia

« Reply #396 on: January 14, 2022, 09:27:09 AM »
@Flobear they are lovely they are still own my list but maybe not yet.

@Starryfish i like wuss wool it is lovely to knit with and seems to wash well too.

I am now sockless again, I took my current stash of socks to my NDN yesterday, her two daughters where there, they are great dog walkers and loved them so I ended up giving them all away.  So now I can start knitting again, all of the collection I had where knitted while I was trying different techniques so I am happy they have found new homes.

I love to keep a pair of socks on the needles even when I am knitting other things as I can knit away with having to think about it too much.

Starryfish

« Reply #397 on: January 14, 2022, 12:40:10 PM »
@Celia ,

I may have got the sock bug as well. Can you recommend sock yarn for spring/ summer socks? I would like to try some lighter yarn cotton or bamboo.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Celia

« Reply #398 on: January 14, 2022, 13:40:13 PM »
I haven’t really tried any one these, the wool from Marriner.  https://www.marrineryarns.com/knitting-yarns/marriner-cosy-toes-4-ply-sock-yarn-100g-91.asp  is lovely and does seem to be a bit finer to wear but it is still of course wool. 

If anyone else has tried the cotton/ bamboo types please let us know.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #399 on: January 14, 2022, 13:53:39 PM »
I have used bamboo, not warm like wool and stretches out of shape - but tightens up in the wash.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

realale

« Reply #400 on: January 24, 2022, 16:24:53 PM »
Second sock thankfully finished  :thumb: I did not enjoy knitting with this yarn. I didn't like the feel of it, the colour of it nor the way it knitted up - other than that it was fine!!!  :laughing:
I thought I'd matched the 'stripes' but it turns out I hadn't. Oh well, they're finished which is the main thing. I'm going to do a pair for me now.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 16:26:42 PM by realale »
So many beers, so little time.

Ouryve

« Reply #401 on: January 24, 2022, 23:48:33 PM »
Looking at the sequence, I'm not sure you could have matched the stripes if you tried! What yarn was it?
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Acorn

« Reply #402 on: January 25, 2022, 09:12:57 AM »
I think they're lovely, and personally I prefer it when socks don't quite match...  ;)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Flobear

« Reply #403 on: January 25, 2022, 10:05:24 AM »
Me too, about the matching thing. It's much more interesting to me to see where the colour changes match up. You can really do your head in by starting the other sock from the other end of the yarn so the 'pattern' goes in the opposite direction  :D

I have started a pair of straightforward socks because I needed something to do when Mr Bear invited me into his den to watch a film on his ridiculously large telly on Saturday night  ;) Just about to turn the heel on the first one.

realale

« Reply #404 on: January 25, 2022, 12:42:42 PM »
Looking at the sequence, I'm not sure you could have matched the stripes if you tried! What yarn was it?
It was Katia Olé Duetto, bought extremely many years ago!
I've started my next pair, this time for me, and after 4 rows I'm already liking the yarn much more.  :)
So many beers, so little time.