The Sewing Place

AUTUMN SOCK KNIT ALONG. 2023 New

toileandtrouble

Re: SEPTEMBER SOCK KNIT ALONG
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2021, 23:38:58 PM »
@classical retro  do as Flobear says and wind off half the wool.
 If you have the self patterning sort of yarn, then you must rewind the second   ball so that the pattern is turned back the right way and will match. Start the second sock at the same colour as the first.
 You can calculate from the number of rows in the decrease, how long the toe part is. (2" on my pattern)
 Then you can stop knitting the straight bit of the foot and start the toe at the right place to make the sock fit you. You will find them really comfortable.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

BrendaP

« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2021, 00:19:53 AM »

The kit has 5 pins, 3mm by the looks of things, which I didn't use last time. I'm wondering whether that was because I needed 3.25 to get the correct gauge.  Is knitting with 5 like knitting on 3 but with fewer stitches per pins?  (52 to cast on.)

@classical retro
If your yarn is 4ply weight (fingering/sock) then unless you knit very tightly 3.25mm needles are much too big for socks.  They would be fine for knitting a 4 ply jumper or hat or whatever, but socks need to be at a much firmer tension/guage - unless you want them to wear through very quickly.

I am using 2.25 needles, 4 ply yarns and have cast on 64 stitches (cuff down) which I nearly always do.  I knit to a farly average tension and I know that they will fit my 5 - 5.5 UK size feet.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Celia

« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2021, 09:34:17 AM »
I nearly always use 2.5 needles for my socks I am quite a tight knitter so I have with some wools gone to 2.75.

I usually use a 60 stitch pattern for myself but interestingly the last pair were a bit snug, i knitted them from the toe up, shouldn’t make a difference but  :thinking:  I also knitted them two at a time but on 2 sets of needles so I knitted the toe of one and then the other then moved on to the foot etc I loved this as it meant two finished socks.  I use magic loop most of the time so can in theory do two at a time but really didn’t like this method last time I tried it but might try again sometime.

Starryfish

« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2021, 10:27:56 AM »
I've finished one sock, and tried it on for size before cutting the yarn. It fits so will go ahead with it's mate.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Ann

« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2021, 10:39:23 AM »
I'm going to upset the apple cart. When I knit DGS's socks, I use 3.25 mm needles and sock yarn. I do a K2, P2 rib to the toes. Why you ask? He is diabetic and likes the socks knit to this gauge. He has never worn out a pair and the boys across the street are wearing them now. Maybe they will wear them out.

The socks I am knitting right now are on 2.5mm needles for DD. I've only knit her heavier socks so wonder how these will wear for her. I will be knitting her heavier socks when I get these socks and another pair knit. I have the yarn for them in the stash and am looking forward to making them.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Ellabella

« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2021, 13:20:17 PM »
Well a root through the stash resulted in this
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Last nights trawl through Ravelry resulted in me choosing https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/sockmaticians-toe-ups

I’ve abandoned plans to knit two at once as I will be doing a bit of maths along the way.

Tonight’s job is to wind the balls and knit my swatch.

@classical retro please don’t try and knit from both ends of the ball, believe me it would only end in tears, I tried it once and it was a disaster.

fajita

« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2021, 16:26:39 PM »
I’m still not committed, but, just in case, I’ve trawled the cupboards and found the makings for a pair. I’ll just go and view a couple of your links.
But I’m definitely not committed yet.

Celia

« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2021, 17:04:59 PM »
Come on @fajita the more the merrier  :loveit:

Here are the socks I finished yesterday, they are knitted toe up with an afterthought heel, they don’t match as they were using up oddments left over. They aren’t washes yet

fajita

« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2021, 17:08:49 PM »
They are lovely @Celia

I’m just starting a test gauge, I’ll see if my fingers still know how to hold a needle. 

Ellabella

« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2021, 17:26:17 PM »
I’m still not committed, but, just in case, I’ve trawled the cupboards and found the makings for a pair. I’ll just go and view a couple of your links.
But I’m definitely not committed yet.

Oh yes you are!

Flobear

« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2021, 19:47:53 PM »
@fajita Go on, go on, go on, go on, go on!
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

BrendaP

« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2021, 20:01:36 PM »

Tonight’s job is to wind the balls and knit my swatch.

A swatch that's big enough to measure properly is about half the size of a single sock - and needs to be knitted in the round if the sock pattern is in the round.  So why not just get stuck in and work a decent portion of the sock, measure it for guage and if it's OK then you have half a sock already completed.  0_0
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ellabella

« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2021, 20:54:11 PM »
Because @BrendaP the pattern I am using needs you to know how many stitches  you are getting to the inch as you choose the type of yarn and the needle size
https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/sockmaticians-toe-ups

I only need to knit an inch or so of a 4" width and its now done.  Just need to measure the width of my foot.

I like to kit a sample before I start to get a feel for the yarn. This has got silk in so a little indulgent for socks but they will feel beautiful

classical retro

« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2021, 21:13:24 PM »
Thank you so much for all your comments, support and stories. I have done a bit more research.
The kit comes with 2.75 needles,which is a bit confusing as the booklet says the mid calf socks can be knitted with from the yarn and needles in the kit. The tension square asks for 3mm needles though and Brenda, indeed has a firmer knit than the 3.25 needles, however it is smaller than the required tension according to the pattern. How can I remedy this? 

The yarn I think is sports weight (is that aran?), or double knitting, certainly not 4ply, and the finished size should be women's medium. With size 4 shoe, I consider myself to have small feet. Do I?

Even more confusing it's written in k2p2 rib, but the gauge is in stocking stitch, which I intend to use. I shall definitely divide the wool into two, but as I only have one set of 5 pins will have to do one at a time. However I have found another set of 2.75 4 pins. so could have one roaming needle and knit the two simultaneouly. 

And the learning from this exercise, thus far, never throw the ball band away until the garment is completed!

CR :angel:

toileandtrouble

« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2021, 21:42:11 PM »
@Ellabella  My husband has been wearing a pair with silk in the mix.  They have pilled slightly after quite a few washes, but still beautifully comfortable.  ( I really ought to have hand washed them  :|).
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 21:43:54 PM by toileandtrouble »
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m