The Sewing Place

AUTUMN SOCK KNIT ALONG. 2023 New

Ploshkin

Re: SEPTEMBER SOCK KNIT ALONG
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2021, 22:33:44 PM »
.however it is smaller than the required tension according to the pattern. How can I remedy this?   
@classical retro I've knitted most of my socks from the same basic pattern.  The pattern is for 4 ply on 3mm needles.  When I have had 3 ply yarn I use smaller needles but to compensate I knit the next size up.  There's quite a bit of leeway in sock fitting and the most important measurement, the length of the foot, you have complete control over regardless of your yarn, needles or tension because you start shaping when the foot length is correct for your foot.
Life's too short for ironing.

realale

« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2021, 22:53:25 PM »
Not promising anything but I've found out the wool and pins and circular needles. I've also found the swatch I did - pity I can't remember which needles I did it on.
All I have to do now is find where I put all my patterns, they're in a folder and I knew exactly where they were before we moved  ><
Until I decide on the pattern I can't do much else.
I'm not a speedy knitter so this could take some time if I do decide to have a go.

Quick question - Do I unravel my swatch and start the socks by using the wool from that (it's still attached to the ball!!) or do I just knit away and hope I have enough? - looking at the swatch it knits up as a pattern.
So many beers, so little time.

classical retro

« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2021, 00:12:12 AM »
Yet more research reveals that the wool in the kit isn't enough to make the socks, so I've gone for this and will use the pattern. Looks like I'll have a busy weekend if I'm to catch up. Hope there are a few good matinees on.

Thank you all again.
CR :angel:

Iminei

« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2021, 07:16:18 AM »
But wont the socks/garment be itchy????? Or am I being dense? And how will they stay up?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ploshkin

« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2021, 09:01:08 AM »
@Iminei I can't wear anything itchy next to my skin but I do wear hand knitted socks which are usually wool with 25% nylon or may have silk in the mix.  I think sock yarn is generally designed to be soft.  I do often wear thin cotton socks under as it's mostly a cold time of year when I'm wearing them.  They're not grippy and elasticated but  knit is stretchy so they don't fall down, might wrinkle a bit but I only knit shortish ones anyway and am happy with a rucked up bit above the top of my boots.

Celia

« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2021, 09:15:21 AM »
@classical retro please don’t worry about catching up, this isn’t a race it is just lovely to see what other people are doing, I am only as far as the rib on one foot and since I am in a sock making mood I will probably continue with more socks.
The yarn you have chosen is lovely I have used it before but only to make mittens, there that’s a good idea I feel a knit a mitten along coming on sometime in the future : :loveit:

As far as size is concerned I have just decided to go up a size as the last ones came out a bit smaller, the important thing is to go up by 4 stitches if you are wanting to do a classic type heel, there are loads of different ones, now I am worrying they may be too big …… I usually use 60 stitches but this time am trying 64

@Iminei i am the same I can’t wear real  wool jumpers, my excuse for wearing cashmere, I have no problems with wool socks not sure why.

@realale I hope you find your pattern soon if not shout out and I am sure we can find a similar one for you, please do join in if you can.

Ploshkin

« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2021, 09:26:16 AM »
@Celia I suppose we don't have the same sensitivity in the skin on our feet.  I too can't wear woollen jumpers next to my skin but I can wear one over a short  sleeved cotton T shirt provided the wool is soft and there is no wool touching my neck so I have to be very choosy about styles.  I would like to be able to wear more wool rather than fleece.

Celia

« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2021, 09:29:59 AM »
@Ploshkin yes that’s me too, I am lucky as I used to work with cashmere and ended up with all the reject, samples etc but it has rather spoilt me because it is about the only thing that keeps me warm in winter.  I still have some left so will probably need to knit some of that up soon, don’t think it would make good socks though :loveit:

BrendaP

« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2021, 09:48:47 AM »

The kit comes with 2.75 needles,which is a bit confusing as the booklet says the mid calf socks can be knitted with from the yarn and needles in the kit. The tension square asks for 3mm needles though and Brenda, indeed has a firmer knit than the 3.25 needles, however it is smaller than the required tension according to the pattern. How can I remedy this? 

The yarn I think is sports weight (is that aran?), or double knitting, certainly not 4ply, and the finished size should be women's medium. With size 4 shoe, I consider myself to have small feet. Do I?

Even more confusing it's written in k2p2 rib, but the gauge is in stocking stitch, which I intend to use. I shall definitely divide the wool into two, but as I only have one set of 5 pins will have to do one at a time. However I have found another set of 2.75 4 pins. so could have one roaming needle and knit the two simultaneouly. 

If the guage is in stocking stitch you should work any tension swatch in stocking stitch.

Also, as I mentioned in my previous post if the socks are to be knitted in the round then the tension swatch should be worked in the round - or a square where you knit across, *leave a loose loop of thread and knit across again.  Repeat from *   In that way you always have the front of the work facing you , as you do when knitting in the round.

This is necessary because many, probably most, people get a different tension when knitting than they do when purling.  Does your back and forth stocking stitch show 'rowing out'?  That's when the ridges go in pairs with a looser row and then a tighter row.  It's often the purl that's looser.

I've knit so many socks now that if I'm using 4 ply thickness of any brand and my favourite 2.25mm needles I don't bother with the tension swatch.  Hand knitted socks need to be snug fitting with a little bit of negative ease.  Try the socks on as you go.  If they are snug around your foot make them to the full foot length, if they are not so snug make the foot a bit shorter than yours to put the negative ease into the length.  Hand knitting is very flexible, even at the tighter than average guage needed for socks.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Flobear

« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2021, 10:27:50 AM »
I haven't started knitting yet apart from the 10 cm square for tension. Never occurred to me to knit a tension square in the round - I'm always learning something from lovely TSPers  :grouphug:
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

b15erk

« Reply #70 on: September 15, 2021, 11:14:34 AM »
I haven't started knitting yet, still casting off my baby blanket.  I did manage to wind one of the skeins of wool yesterday though - yes, wool + 15% nylon.  I can't wear wool, but I know DD won't have a problem, and she loved the last pair of socks I knit for her.

Great information on here which I never knew - thanks all, particularly @BrendaP , I'll be re-reading your info about tension before I start.

I'm wondering now if my pattern is suitable for 'fingering'... :thinking:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Diane

« Reply #71 on: September 15, 2021, 14:03:24 PM »
Knitting socks scares me to death  :faints: The first sock i knitted a couple of years back came out so huge you could of used it as a christmas stocking  :laughing:
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Celia

« Reply #72 on: September 15, 2021, 15:47:30 PM »
Come on @Diane you can do it, just grab some sock yarn and have a go,  knit a very basic sock and see how it comes out we can adjust the size for a second pair if need be.  I would suggest either
https://www.woolwarehouse.co.uk/yarn/drops-fabel-all-colours  Or https://www.woolwarehouse.co.uk/yarn/west-yorkshire-spinners-signature-4-ply-all-colours. Or maybe https://www.marrineryarns.com/knitting-yarns/marriner-cosy-toes-4-ply-sock-yarn-100g-91.asp.  Or any other sock wool you like.

If you are usually an average tension knitter I would go with 2.5 needles, I prefer to knit magic loop style butwhatever you are happier with. 

If you decide to have a go let us know what size shoe you are aiming the sock to fit.

Diane

« Reply #73 on: September 15, 2021, 15:59:40 PM »
@Celia I have plenty of sock wool upstairs :boohoo: maybe i shouldn't have mentioned that as i've sort of roped myself into this :laughing: I'm a size 7
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Celia

« Reply #74 on: September 15, 2021, 16:13:37 PM »
Great get that wool out and find the needles. I am a size 61/2 and usually knit a 60 stitch sock but am just trying a 64 in the YSW sock yarn, this might be a mistake but if it is I will give them to my son. If you need a pattern let me know. :loveit: