The Sewing Place

AUTUMN SOCK KNIT ALONG. 2023 New

Diane

Re: SEPTEMBER SOCK KNIT ALONG
« Reply #75 on: September 15, 2021, 16:23:22 PM »
Lets hope i can't find the wool or the pattern  ;)
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Celia

« Reply #76 on: September 15, 2021, 16:24:08 PM »
I am willing you to find them :thumbsup:

Diane

« Reply #77 on: September 15, 2021, 16:24:55 PM »
It's a bit dark upstairs, i might not be able to see them  :laughing:
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Flobear

« Reply #78 on: September 15, 2021, 16:27:49 PM »
Take a torch @Diane  :thumbsup:
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Diane

« Reply #79 on: September 15, 2021, 16:45:52 PM »
Found some wool  :thumbsup:  @Celia Is it easier to knit on a circular needle or three sock needles? I have both
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 16:51:29 PM by Diane »

Celia

« Reply #80 on: September 15, 2021, 17:14:39 PM »
It is up to you @Diane but you need at least 4 needles to knit in the round, I prefer circular knitted like this https://youtu.be/-SFy_OJT-pc

Ploshkin

« Reply #81 on: September 15, 2021, 17:55:06 PM »
It's strange.  I use a circular needle for all my knitting and do magic loop for tubular knitting wherever possible to avoid having to sew things up.  But, I wouldn't even attempt magic loop for socks.  I like my dpns for socks.
Life's too short for ironing.

classical retro

« Reply #82 on: September 15, 2021, 18:25:06 PM »
The gauge says "6 inches per inch worsted weight, 7 stitches per inch sport's weight", which I read literally and stocking stitched those numbers. Maybe I should make a bigger piece then measure a square inch then count. :|  The wool I've been looking at is 4 ply which I've discovered is thinner than sports weight which is 5 ply. So I'll have to use my brain rather than be an automaton, my preferred way of doing things these days!

The yarn is sock wool, so should stay up Iminei. I looked up double cast on method, which may be a help, so I'm going to give it a try. If not, the shirring elastic will come out.

Thank you for your kind words Celia.  If I don't set myself a target to break it will end up lingering.

I don't quite understand the instructions Brenda, but I'll try again to make sense of it.

I've ordered my yarn. Yeah!

CR :angel:

Iminei

« Reply #83 on: September 15, 2021, 18:31:23 PM »
I think sock yarn is generally designed to be soft.

You can get sock yarn ?????  :faints:   :faints:    :faints:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Flobear

« Reply #84 on: September 15, 2021, 19:18:47 PM »
There's at least half a wall of sock yarn in Crafticalia in Tintern!
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

b15erk

« Reply #85 on: September 15, 2021, 19:50:05 PM »
Busy day today, but I've got round to assembling my ingredients.  Like @Ploshkin , I can't use a circular needle for socks, so not only have I had to buy yarn, I've also had to buy DPN's to go with it...

What I've found out is, that I have quite a few DPN's but unfortunately, they have all got muddled up.  I spent a happy hour  :angry: sorting them out, and sizing them, only to realise, I have lots of 3.25 and 3.50 but nothing smaller.  Hopefully Mr Amazon will do his stuff, and by tomorrow I will have suitable needles.

On to the pattern.  :facepalm: :thinking: Firstly, I couldn't get in to Ravelry, so I needed to do lots of jiggery pokery with passwords etc.  Then, which pattern to choose?  Only time (and my lack of skill) will tell whether it's the right one!  :S

Tomorrow, I will begin.  :rolleyes:

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

BrendaP

« Reply #86 on: September 15, 2021, 22:11:35 PM »
The gauge says "6 inches per inch worsted weight, 7 stitches per inch sport's weight", which I read literally and stocking stitched those numbers. Maybe I should make a bigger piece then measure a square inch then count.

A square inch isn't really enough to measure - it needs to be at least 2" x 2" and preferably 4" x 4"  and you need to cast on more stitches that that so that you are not measuring over the outside few stitches which can easily be distorted.  If your guage is 7 stitches per inch that's 28 inches per 4" so you need to measure over 28 stitches which means that you need to cast on about 34-36 stitches for your swatch - and if the pattern will be worked in the round you need that many stitches again or do the loopy back trick.

That's why I said in a previous posting that for socks it's hardly worth doing a swatch.  Just start knitting and by the time it's big enough to call it a tension swatch you will have a decent chink of sock already knitted.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

b15erk

« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2021, 10:15:23 AM »
I've found a pattern I think may work.  It's a free one from Staci Perry from Very Pink Knits, and it's lacey...  I'm hoping that it will be as easy, and well written as the other pattern of hers I've done. Bubbles Down the Drain

I'm going to try it, although it has Short Rows instead of German Short Rows.  At least it has no charts to figure out...

I'm going in - wish me luck! :rolleyes:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Celia

« Reply #88 on: September 16, 2021, 10:18:26 AM »
Well done @b15erk glad to see you joining in  :toast: I do like Very Pink knots videos she is very good at showing things, I haven’t tried the German short rows yet might have to be the next one I do.

Ann

« Reply #89 on: September 16, 2021, 11:49:48 AM »
I've got this far with my socks and have had to put them down.

I'm testing a pattern for a doll designer and that is using up all my knitting time. She wants it done by tomorrow  :laughing: :laughing: and I'm not there yet. Seven days to knit a jumpsuit, shawl, and purse is a bit unrealistic as she is finding out. Real life gets in the way which I told her.

I'll get back at the socks as soon as this test pattern is knit.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres