The Sewing Place

AUTUMN SOCK KNIT ALONG. 2023 New

Celia

Re: SEPTEMBER SOCK KNIT ALONG
« Reply #90 on: September 16, 2021, 12:13:27 PM »
They look great @Ann don’t worry about the time it isn’t a race.

b15erk

« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2021, 12:24:59 PM »
Hmphhh, just casted on for the fourth time...  Things are not going to plan.  I've come upstairs to see if I can find a video to help.  Stitch count after the short rows isn't right.  :headbang:

On the positive side, the yarn is knitting up beautifully... :meditation:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ann

« Reply #92 on: September 16, 2021, 12:29:53 PM »
@Celia, I know there isn't a deadline here but I have one as these are a gift for DD. Once these are done, I can relax and knit other socks that I can put away to send her later on.

@b15erk, I still follow a video to turn the heel. If I don't I never have the right number of stitches.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

realale

« Reply #93 on: September 16, 2021, 15:15:59 PM »
I've found my pattern file.
Now to decide on which one to do.....
So many beers, so little time.

Ellabella

« Reply #94 on: September 16, 2021, 17:18:58 PM »
I really struggled last night as I couldn’t remember Judy Becker’s magic cast on,so I YouTubed it and then started magic looping inside out.  I really shouldn’t start these things at 9.00pm. :facepalm:

Everything on track now, I just get so frustrated when I can’t remember a process that a few years ago was second nature. It’s an age thing :boohoo:

Celia

« Reply #95 on: September 16, 2021, 21:14:29 PM »
@Ellabella i know exactly what you mean, at one time I completely forgot how to do Kitchener stitch and spent half a night trying to get it right.

Ellabella

« Reply #96 on: September 16, 2021, 23:57:00 PM »
@Celia i can only do Kitchener stitch if I have the instructions in front of me and say them aloud as I do it, hence my preference for toe up socks.

Half a foot worked tonight which is good going for me.

b15erk

« Reply #97 on: September 17, 2021, 07:09:52 AM »
I have half a sock!!  Well, nearly half a sock...  I've not reached the heel yet, but it's looking good. :thumbsup:

My new needles arrived, a great set, and very cheap, but far too long for socks.  For now, I've cobbled together a set of mis-matched dpns - same sze but different lengths, and they are OK, but not ideal.  Just ordered another set.

I wish I could get more of this lovely yarn I bought from a local seller, but she only has DK left.  The yarn I got was reduced to £6 a skein, and is beautiful to knit with.  I've looked at other sellers, and it can be £20+ per skein.  :(

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #98 on: September 17, 2021, 07:39:51 AM »
I finished my first sock last night!
Now I've got to try and find the same colour change in the ball to startvthe second one and it's a very long colour repeat.
Life's too short for ironing.

b15erk

« Reply #99 on: September 17, 2021, 11:15:14 AM »
Before I go and start a pile of ironing that I've managed to ignore for a few days, I thought I would post a pic of my first 'Bubbles Down the Drain' Sock.

Once I got into my stride with the short rows, everything has gone smoothly.  The next challenge will be the heel...

Having said all that, I'm finding it very pleasant using proper Fingering Sock Yarn.  Just waiting for my proper needles to arrive, and life will be sweet.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Jessie

Ploshkin

« Reply #100 on: September 17, 2021, 11:23:23 AM »
Ooh, that looks really good Jessie, I like the colour.  I've got some plain grey flecked sock yarn that I would like to do in a textured pattern.  I might look at that one though it isn't my usual cuff down process and I've never ventured into German short rows as far as I know.
Life's too short for ironing.

BrendaP

« Reply #101 on: September 17, 2021, 11:38:43 AM »
@b15erk   Jessie, keep using the mis-matched needles for the pair.  If you change part way through, or use a different set for the second sock it could affect your tension.  No need to ask how I know!

Mine are coming along, only a couple more stripes on each before I start the heel flaps.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

b15erk

« Reply #102 on: September 17, 2021, 11:39:20 AM »
@Ploshkin , these aren't called German Short Rows , just ordinary Short Rows, and after a few false starts, I found them very easy. 

I'll report back on the heel, which may be a challenge...

I have to say, I find Staci Perry's (Very Pink Knits), patterns, very easy to follow, and this has another advantage in that it's free!

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #103 on: September 17, 2021, 11:41:05 AM »
@BrendaP . that sounds sensible, but the needles I have coming look soooo nice!  :'(

Jessie

Celia

« Reply #104 on: September 17, 2021, 12:56:05 PM »
@b15erk  I had a similar problem and needed to change needles I just made sure I changed at the same point on the socks maybe you could do that.  Love the pattern  :loveit: