The Sewing Place

AUTUMN SOCK KNIT ALONG. 2023 New

Lowena

Re: SEPTEMBER SOCK KNIT ALONG
« Reply #105 on: September 17, 2021, 12:58:00 PM »
I'm glad I didn't try to join in.
I've never heard of most of what's being discussed  :|
I can only do knit and purl on metal, straight needles.....and even that looks like a 7 yr old did it... ( I think the last one I knitted was when I was 7 and had to do it at school ) :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Celia

« Reply #106 on: September 17, 2021, 13:00:46 PM »
@Lowena ok the next knitathon might just have to be a scarf  :devil:  I am not happy if I can’t get people knitting  :loveit:

fajita

« Reply #107 on: September 17, 2021, 13:06:06 PM »
You can knit socks on normal needles.

Lowena

« Reply #108 on: September 17, 2021, 13:08:05 PM »
Yes @fajita  but phrases like " turn the heel" "cuff down" and " German short rows" might as well be in Swahili  :faints:

b15erk

« Reply #109 on: September 17, 2021, 13:23:24 PM »
@Lowena , I would have said exactly the same (and probably did!) last year, before I knitted my first pair of socks.

I found lots of help on YouTube, and for me Staci Perry was the one who clicked with me.  Yes, I made a lot of mistakes, and most of my first efforts were not wearable, but for the first time last year, I made proper socks. Ugly socks, but proper...

Yes, I still have to refer to videos to clarify certain techniques, but at the end of the day, it's a ball of yarn and a set of needles, if I make a mess of it, I've not lost a lot, but I've given it a shot. 

The thing that spurred me on to try this knit along, is that I can ask for help, I can admire what everyone else is doing, and I learn something from people who are more experienced.  My DD and BF also loved their hand made gifts.

Please don't abandon it out of hand, you may just gain something from joining in.

Jessiex
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Lowena

« Reply #110 on: September 17, 2021, 14:10:17 PM »
Thank you @b15erk  but I know my limitations. You're much more adept at crafting than I am.... ( you can even make clothes  :faints: )
Also, I'm not a visual learner. No amount of watching videos would be any help, so YouTube is a non starter. I need basic written instructions suitable for aforementioned 7 yr old  :D
I tried to learn to crochet... :'(  embroider...... :'(  I'd love to try weaving but fear my inate cackhandedness would render the outlay useless.... :|
I've always yearned to be a craftsperson but fear, at my advanced age, it's not to be.
I haven't even ventured into The Darkside for months as everything I touched went wrong.
I'll enjoy looking at The Sock Parade in due course  <3

realale

« Reply #111 on: September 17, 2021, 18:22:04 PM »
Well, I sorted out my patterns, set myself up in front of the computer and began a toe up Craftsy class I had. Managed to cast on the stitches, began first knitting - well, what a (trying to think of polite phrase here and failing). So I ripped it all off my dpn and tried with magic loop. Nope, not going to happen.
Undaunted I moved to a different Craftsy class, top down this time. Double Norwegian cast on - I hadn't pulled enough of the wool to finish all the stitches, undo , allow extra wool and start again. Mind wanders and I manage to get into a pickle, nevermind I can do this, start again. Get nearly all stitches on and I run out of tail wool again. Undo, carefully replace needles, wool and pattern and head towards drinks cabinet........
Perhaps tomorrow  -<
So many beers, so little time.

Deafoldbat

« Reply #112 on: September 17, 2021, 19:01:29 PM »
I hadn't pulled enough of the wool to finish all the stitches, undo , allow extra wool and start again.

@realale If you cast on starting with a slip knot and working forwards from there, ie make a stitch and put it on the lh needle, knit behind it to make the next stitch and so on you just cast on the stitches you need and start knitting. Simples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFkYejFGwsI

BrendaP

« Reply #113 on: September 17, 2021, 19:24:20 PM »
Yes @fajita  but phrases like " turn the heel" "cuff down" and " German short rows" might as well be in Swahili  :faints:
@Lowena
Cuff down means exactly what it says, you start knitting at the cuff and work downwards towars the heel and on to the toe. Toe up is the opposite.  99.99% of all socks are knitted that way.  A few very perverse patterns have you start at the heel and work both ways.

Turning the heel just means a few decreases (knitting 2 together or similar) in the right places to make the sock foot shaped.

Short rows, German or otherwise, just means turning the work before the end of a row, though there are fancy tricks to avoid that leaving a hole in the work.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #114 on: September 18, 2021, 00:29:13 AM »
@Lowena ok the next knitathon might just have to be a scarf  :devil:  I am not happy if I can’t get people knitting  :loveit:

@Celia I can manage scarfs!  :thumbsup: A basic stockinette, 6 or 7 inches wide only takes me about 10 days. I'm also proficient ok at dishcloths knit on the diagonal. Beyond that all I know is what DPN stands for.

Question though, oh sock Gurus, anyone work with non wool sock yarn? I'll need to find mine, it was a blend with nylon for durability. I'm a bit allergic to wool, at least on my upper torso, and sensitive to nylon. What I have splits terribly, has no stretch at all but knits up just gorgeous and crochets nicely too. But I don't really knit or crochet so clueless.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

b15erk

« Reply #115 on: September 18, 2021, 09:48:25 AM »
@Renegade Sewist , I've used non-wool yarn previously, as I hate the feel of wool on my skin - not sure it's an allergy...?   I certainly can't use lanolin based creams.

This time I tried 'proper' sock yarn, wool, with 15% nylon and it's hand dyed - no I didn't sell a kidney for it, it was a local bargain on FB.

I have to say knitting with it is a delight, and surprisingly, it hasn't troubled my hands.

I'll be giving these socks away as Christmas presents, so they won't irritate my skin.

I checked out the price of hand knitted socks yesterday  :faints: £25 +

I too would like to knit a couple of scarves...

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Celia

« Reply #116 on: September 18, 2021, 10:13:41 AM »
@Renegade Sewist  i have only used sock yarns with wool in but I can’t wear wool jumpers but can wear wool socks, if you go back a bit in this thread there are more comments about different wools.

I am all up for a scarf knit along maybe next month so watch this space, :devil:

Come on let’s have a few more part done photos, with details of the yarn if you can. we might encourage more knitters, not too late to join in if you haven’t already.

Ann

« Reply #117 on: September 18, 2021, 11:40:07 AM »
I am hoping to get back to my socks in the next couple of days. I'm almost done the test pattern but I'm still working on it trying to do lots of rows a day. I'm missing my sock knitting time.

Hand knit socks are expensive. The yarn I'm using right now costs $8.49 CDN for a 50 gram skein and I buy 3 skeins for socks and then knit a doll's sweater with the left over yarn. When I buy DGS's yarn, it is about $32 CDN for a 100 gram skein. I have to buy 2 for his socks and should buy 3 so I can knit 2 pairs of socks. But it is pricey but the yarn is beautiful to knit; so soft and lovely to work with.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #118 on: September 18, 2021, 12:45:38 PM »
I can’t wear wool but love the wool socks I’ve had.  Keep your feet nice and warm in winter.  Maybe I’ll have to think about knitting my own.  Can’t join in this time round as life is a bit up and down at the mo and I can’t concentrate.  Sewing is much easier at the mo as I don’t have to really think about that too much.

Celia

« Reply #119 on: September 18, 2021, 13:42:32 PM »
No problem @Ohsewsimple i am sure we can do it again, I am always up for a knit a long if anyone else wants one  :devil: