The Sewing Place

AUTUMN SOCK KNIT ALONG. 2023 New

b15erk

Re: SEPTEMBER SOCK KNIT ALONG
« Reply #120 on: September 19, 2021, 13:05:55 PM »
A little disheartened this morning, as my sock looks mightily deformed...  The length of the foot looks ridiculously long - although I measured it against one I knit last year.

I also had to unpick a few times.  :rolleyes: I think this wasn't helped by the yarn I'm using. When I'm knitting certain colours, the yarn goes quite thin, which leaves the stitches loose on the needle.  Sometimes they are slipping off at both ends, and being a lace pattern, they soon unravel...

Ohhhh, the trials of a sock maker!  :laughing:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

BrendaP

« Reply #121 on: September 19, 2021, 13:22:40 PM »
Most of the socks I've made have been 75% wool, 25% nylon; Opal and Regia are the easiest obtain brands in UK.  More important to me though is that the wool content is superwash because I know that my socks always get thrown into the washing machine.

With this pair I'm breaking the 'rules' a bit in that the main blue colour isn't really sock wool, just a 4-ply that's 75% acrylic, 25% superwash.  Only time will tell how well they wear but I have yet to throw away a pair of hand knitted socks because they wore out, but I have discarded/given to young grandchildren socks which have felted and become too small.

Heel flaps completed so ready to turn the heel now.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ploshkin

« Reply #122 on: September 19, 2021, 13:45:11 PM »
@b15erk I gave up knitting toe up socks after a few tries because I never seemed to get the foot length right even though you would have thought it would be easier to get the foot length right starting from that end.  You only really know once you've done the heel.
It's much easier to try it on when you are doing top down and if you do mess up with the foot length there is only the decrease rows of the toe to undo.
I had thought that toe up was the holy grail of sock knitting but now I just stick with what works for me.
Life's too short for ironing.

fajita

« Reply #123 on: September 19, 2021, 16:11:48 PM »
I’ve made a start - have decided to go with the two needle

BrendaP

« Reply #124 on: September 19, 2021, 16:16:44 PM »
I gave up knitting toe up socks after a few tries because I never seemed to get the foot length right even though you would have thought it would be easier to get the foot length right starting from that end.  You only really know once you've done the heel.
It's much easier to try it on when you are doing top down and if you do mess up with the foot length there is only the decrease rows of the toe to undo.
I had thought that toe up was the holy grail of sock knitting but now I just stick with what works for me.
@Ploshkin
 I absolutely agree with everything you say.  The only reason I can see for knitting toe up is if you are short of yarn - no big deal if the cuff is a bit short but the foot has to fit.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

Ann

« Reply #125 on: September 19, 2021, 21:26:28 PM »
@BrendaP, beautiful socks. Love the colors you chose. What yarn you use is up to you as "you are the boss of your socks" according to Jana at Purl Together.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Celia

« Reply #126 on: September 19, 2021, 22:06:53 PM »
Here is where I am up to

These are made in west yorkshir spinners signature 4ply yarn which is 75%woolon 25%nylon and I am knitting on 2.5 magic loop needles.  This is left over yarn so I might have to be inventive.

b15erk

« Reply #127 on: September 20, 2021, 13:09:26 PM »
I've transferred my stitches to a circular needle to try the foot length, only to find, that the cord isn't long enough...

The only other cord which is long enough is a Haya Haya one, which isn't interchangeable with the KnitPro ones, so a slightly longer job... :rolleyes:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

« Reply #128 on: September 21, 2021, 11:03:25 AM »
I managed to try the sock yesterday, and it's fine - it still looks odd though...

I got distracted though (for a change  :rolleyes:), and decided to go off piste, to make a little pair of Hug Boots.  I had a very small amount of cotton yarn left from the small knitted blanket, and decided that as they only take 17g of yarn, I would give it a shot.  Talk about playing Yarn Chicken!  Well, I made it - with a few metres to spare!  :dance:

A pair of little Hug Boots to go with the blankets I've made for DD's BiL and his partner.  She's seeing them at the weekend, so I needed to get them done.

Hope these qualify as sock wear, if not, I'll understand if I am disqualified... :S ;)

Jessie

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #129 on: September 21, 2021, 11:50:36 AM »
@b15erk Not being a sock knitter... if it looks like a sock, is made like a sock and works like a sock... it's a sock  ;)
But then again, what would I know  :laughing:
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

b15erk

« Reply #130 on: September 21, 2021, 11:55:33 AM »
Phew, thanks @Bumblebuncher !!   :thumbsup:

Just finished sewing them up, and the baby gift is now ready for mummy and daddy to take home.

Jessie

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #131 on: September 21, 2021, 12:07:31 PM »
@b15erk Those are the cutest socks i have seen  :perfect10:
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

realale

« Reply #132 on: September 21, 2021, 13:42:54 PM »
I managed to try the sock yesterday, and it's fine - it still looks odd though...

I read that far, looked at the photo and thought 'they don't look big enough!!'
Must read full post next time!!

Those Hugg boots are sweet  :loveit:
So many beers, so little time.

Celia

« Reply #133 on: September 21, 2021, 13:52:07 PM »
They definitely qualify as socks, if it knitted and it fits on feet that’s good enough for me. 

They look lovely and so cute

BrendaP

« Reply #134 on: September 21, 2021, 23:09:43 PM »
Even tiny feet need socks - and those have a lovely blanket to wrap around them :loveit: