The Sewing Place

AUTUMN SOCK KNIT ALONG. 2023 New

Flobear

Re: SEPTEMBER/ OCTOBER SOCK KNIT ALONG
« Reply #180 on: October 06, 2021, 17:12:50 PM »
I need good daylight for dark coloured knitting or sewing these days, too.
I hope to have my second sock finished tonight and to re-knit the last couple of inches of the first one to get the foot length right. Might finally be able to post a pic.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Diane

« Reply #181 on: October 08, 2021, 16:51:40 PM »
i did start a sock..... got to the heel bit and this is where i always go wrong, started to divide it off and  :boohoo: that's it  :faints: i unpicked it all this afternoon, has enough of that palava so i done a search and found myself an Australian pattern for heel-less socks from WW2. Pattern said to knit on dpn size 3.75mm but the nearest i had was 3.25mm, anyway the tension looks ok  :D
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Flobear

« Reply #182 on: October 08, 2021, 17:11:07 PM »
Am embarking on Kitchener stitch any moment now  ><  See you on the other side !

Deafoldbat

« Reply #183 on: October 08, 2021, 19:29:39 PM »
@Flobear Kitchener stitch is the work of the devil. I've tried it and it is more trouble than it is worth, imho. An alternative is to decrease to about the last 8 stitches (total, not per needle) then cut off the yarn (give yourself about 12") and thread that through the stitches a couple of times, pull it tight and sew in the end.

Flobear

« Reply #184 on: October 08, 2021, 19:54:28 PM »
@Deafoldbat, I actually like Kitchener stitch  :devil:  But I do have to follow my written instructions and chant the mantra as I do it. And I always end up with a slight pointy bit at the end where I finish it.

Celia

« Reply #185 on: October 09, 2021, 11:05:57 AM »
@Flobear me too I like Kitchener stitch but on toes I have that same problem.

I have just finished mine and will post a picture later as I am about to wash them, I have started another pair and this pair are toe up with Judys magic cast on and then the garter stitch heel. https://youtu.be/puzUMoC_8OU

@Diane that’s great just get those neeedles clicking, if you want to try a heel some time there are loads of different heels and some are easier than others, if you want to try again sometime I can link some YouTube videos for you.

fajita

« Reply #186 on: October 09, 2021, 14:28:18 PM »
I have begun. Still not totally committed lol

Diane

« Reply #187 on: October 09, 2021, 20:02:06 PM »

@Diane that’s great just get those neeedles clicking

@Celia And do that i have  :D I got my wool genie out and i've been knitting all afternoon, now i have a pair of finished socks  :faints:

I must say though that i don't particularly like the wool, it feels rather rough to me even though it's proper sock wool. I'm going to have a look and see what other wool i have upstairs and knit another pair but in something a little bit softer.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 20:07:07 PM by Diane »
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Celia

« Reply #188 on: October 09, 2021, 20:15:47 PM »
Wow @Diane that was quick well done

Flobear

« Reply #189 on: October 09, 2021, 21:06:02 PM »
I found my wool needle and have sewn in the ends for sock 1 but then Strictly took my attention and I still have sock 2 to do. I don't think I've ever taken so long over a pair of socks  :[

Ann

« Reply #190 on: October 10, 2021, 10:50:50 AM »
I finished my pair yesterday and they will be wrapped and sent to DD next week for one of her Xmas gifts.

I enjoyed the pattern on this sock and will be looking for a new pattern for more socks to knit. I thought I was closer to matching the stripe on these socks but it didn't work out that way in the end. The left over yarn is now being knit into a doll's sweater so I can throw the tiny bits into the trash when it is done.

DDIL gave me 200 grams of yarn that is merino wool and silk to make DGS socks for this Xmas. Expensive yarn but she doesn't knit with sock yarn. He will love them as he is a yarn snob for his socks. Before they are cast on I have to crochet a coat for DD's cat.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Flobear

« Reply #191 on: October 10, 2021, 19:04:40 PM »
Well, finally finished and wearable - spot the mistake!

Despite all my efforts, the sizing still isn't really right. I think I'll unpick down to the mistake and leave out the threee extra rows I thought I needed.

Tamnymore

« Reply #192 on: October 10, 2021, 19:27:24 PM »
Wow snazzy socks @Flobear . Nope can't see any faults. They look lovely and toasty.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Ploshkin

« Reply #193 on: October 10, 2021, 20:38:36 PM »
They must be toasty in Drops Nepal.
Life's too short for ironing.

Flobear

« Reply #194 on: October 10, 2021, 22:31:44 PM »
Toasty is good, they're intended to be slipper socks though I haven't got the non-slippy stuff to put on the bottom yet.