The Sewing Place

AUTUMN SOCK KNIT ALONG. 2023 New

b15erk

Re: SEPTEMBER/ OCTOBER SOCK KNIT ALONG
« Reply #225 on: October 25, 2021, 10:05:22 AM »
I picked up my knitting yesterday!! :dance:  I have to say though, it was slow and painful, due to some over-enthusiastic pruning the other week.  The middle finger on my right hand only bends half way, and is very painful.

However, I'm told that knitting is good physio so I'll carry on...

Not many rows to go for the pair!  :thumbsup:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Pearl

« Reply #226 on: October 26, 2021, 17:59:00 PM »
Second pair of socks

Turquoise

« Reply #227 on: October 29, 2021, 07:50:11 AM »
Well clearly I’m not going to do it within the timeframe of this knit along but you’ve all inspired me to have a go at knitting socks. 

I did start a Craftsy course a while ago (knit socks: two at a time) with some totally inappropriate scrap yarn just to see if I could get my head around it and did get past the heel before giving up but I shall have a proper go now with sock yarn.

Off to browse sock yarns….

b15erk

« Reply #228 on: October 29, 2021, 10:37:12 AM »
Still not finished... :'( :boohoo:

Just can't seem to get past that invisible block.

I'll try again later... :boohoo: :rolleyes:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Pearl

« Reply #229 on: October 29, 2021, 10:46:57 AM »
Not sure this knit along will end yet, @Turquoise .  I’m hoping @Celia will change the title to September/October/November.

I have plans for at least two more pairs so you won’t be on your own.

Flobear

« Reply #230 on: October 29, 2021, 17:40:03 PM »
Well, an extension would suit me, I can knit over-the-knee socks. No, just being silly  :P
Wool arrived today for my next attempt at slipper socks which I would have started tonight, but one of the colours doesn't go. Laughing Hens, who allow free returns, kindly agreed to swap my two balls of that colour for a more boring colour that will go better.

I paid for a pattern  :faints:  and intend to make the zig-zaggy ones.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Celia

Re: SEPTEMBER/ OCTOBER/ NOVEMBER SOCK KNIT ALONG
« Reply #231 on: October 29, 2021, 20:14:55 PM »
I think I will have to extend this as I want to knit those too @Flobear  :dance:  I will let you knit them first though.

@Pearl  you have your request  :laughing: maybe I should just rename it Autumn/Winter ?  I think I might need some help @Flobear or @Iminei  or anyone that can rename thread. :loveit:
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 12:32:27 PM by Iminei »

b15erk

« Reply #232 on: October 29, 2021, 21:06:43 PM »
I'm done!!! :dance: :dance:

I sat down this morning with an old Julie Christie film on, and ploughed on through.  I don't like the end bit, constant measuring, and counting rows...

Still, all finished, and I can move on to my second pair!  I might even wind the wool tonight when I sit down... :thumbsup:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Jessie

Ann

Re: SEPTEMBER/ OCTOBER/NOVEMBER SOCK KNIT ALONG
« Reply #233 on: October 29, 2021, 21:35:21 PM »
@Celia, thank you for extending this. I will be knitting socks until the cows come home as I have enough wool for 6 more pairs of socks.

@b15erk, love your socks. I count rows all the time when I am knitting. I find it helps me when I do the pattern again as I have a reference of some sort. I have a book I keep that information in. But then again, I am strange when it comes to this kind of thing.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Celia

« Reply #234 on: October 30, 2021, 10:06:16 AM »
@b15erk they are lovely I think I need to add a textured pattern to my never ending list of socks to knit, I love the colour too. 
@Ann  I also have a book for notes on knitting and also weaving, the trouble is I often forget to write things in it :facepalm:

Lowena

« Reply #235 on: October 30, 2021, 10:35:44 AM »
I have a stupid query ( from a complete no nothing  :| )
All these socks look thick and chunky.....I don't know anyone who would wear socks like that....surely they don't allow you to wear shoes with them?? :thinking:
My socks are all very thin, hardly thicker than 60 denier tights
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Pearl

« Reply #236 on: October 30, 2021, 10:59:35 AM »
I have a stupid query ( from a complete no nothing  :| )
All these socks look thick and chunky.....I don't know anyone who would wear socks like that....surely they don't allow you to wear shoes with them?? :thinking:
My socks are all very thin, hardly thicker than 60 denier tights

Although the socks I’ve knitted have been made with 4ply yarn, they are lovely and warm.  I can still fit my shoes on, though. 

Flobear

« Reply #237 on: October 30, 2021, 11:32:32 AM »
It does depend very much on the footwear, obvs! I wear my 4 ply socks inside walking boots and similar and with, or instead of, slippers in the cold times of year. For closer fitting shoes I buy mine from sock shop as you can get soft-grip cuffs  :)
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Celia

« Reply #238 on: October 30, 2021, 11:42:21 AM »
I tend to use the lighter weight fingering yarns and yes I can wear them in my shoes, if they are a bit heavier I  wear them  in boots.

Might not wear this colour in this shoe but it was what I had on. :loveit:

Deafoldbat

Re: WINTER SOCK KNIT ALONG
« Reply #239 on: October 30, 2021, 19:20:35 PM »
For those enthused enough to carry on knitting socks - The Sock Yarn Shop has a good (though not vast) range of yarn. Fast mail order and free postage over £30.
https://www.sockyarnshop.com/