The Sewing Place

AUTUMN SOCK KNIT ALONG. 2023 New

Ellabella

Re: WINTER SOCK KNIT ALONG
« Reply #240 on: October 30, 2021, 23:21:03 PM »
Just got in under the wire.

I finally finished my socks. They took a ridiculous amounts of time but are beautifully warm and soft.

Very plain but as I was doing a new pattern

https://www.sockmatician.com/

I thought I’d let the yarn do the talking.

I’d love to do another pair but DGD has requested a new cardigan and as a doting grandma I need to do that next.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Celia

« Reply #241 on: October 31, 2021, 10:14:17 AM »
They look great @Ellabella you are fine time wise and can carry on as someone has kindly renamed us as Winter and we all know how long Winter can be :laughing:

I have just had to unpick the top 2 inches of what is luckily a toe up sock and re knit it as pusskins managed to grab it and pull a hole in it while it was waiting to be washed.

Pearl

« Reply #242 on: October 31, 2021, 13:05:53 PM »
Slipper boots.  Kit bought at show probably 5 years ago.  Usual story - couple of weeks to knit, 4.5 years to sew up.   :laughing:

Turquoise

« Reply #243 on: October 31, 2021, 19:28:30 PM »
Well my first yarns have arrived (I’m hoping once I get the hang of it I will make several pairs) and I’ve split one into 2 balls so that’s a start I guess.  I am now waiting for a circular knitting needle to arrive as despite having received a set of interchangeable needles for my birthday the set doesn’t quite go small enough with the needle tip sizes.

I’ve re-read through this thread and think I’d like to try the German short row technique for the heel for this first proper pair.  The Craftsy class I started picked up stitches and that was OK but it would be nice to try another technique and see what I prefer.

Ellabella

« Reply #244 on: November 01, 2021, 00:40:20 AM »
@Turquoise I used German short rows for the first time on my socks and was very impressed. 

I got a lovely, tidy heel with no gaps.

The technique seems odd when you start but works out very well.

b15erk

« Reply #245 on: November 01, 2021, 09:22:22 AM »
I started my second pair on Saturday, before my eyes got too sore, but soon came to a grinding halt.  I'd almost finished the toe, and was picking up stitches from the crochet cast on - and I think I lost a stitch!

I don't know if it's easier to unpick and start again, or just make another stitch, risking a hole... :facepalm: :boohoo:

Nothing going to be done today though, my eyes are too sore... :boohoo:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #246 on: November 01, 2021, 10:45:06 AM »
I'm still plodding along.  I've finished the first sock of my second pair and have done the ribbing for number two.  After 2 pairs I will probably be all socked out.
Life's too short for ironing.

coffeeandcake

« Reply #247 on: November 01, 2021, 10:45:20 AM »
@b15erk I found that I'd dropped a stitch on a sock that I finished at the weekend. When I realised I just couldn't be bothered to unpick and it was in an awkward bit to pick up and bring it through to the row I was working on. I just put the errant stitch on a stitch holder, made a new one and when I'd finished I secured the dropped stitch to the others with a tapestry needle and wool, if that makes sense. I assume nobody feels a need to closely inspect my socks ><

Ann

« Reply #248 on: November 01, 2021, 11:32:34 AM »
I finished knitting a hat for DD and am working on a sweater for a doll. I hope to be back to knitting socks soon. I miss knitting them but do enjoy having a break from them to do other projects.

I am enjoying looking at all the socks that have been knit. Well done everyone.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Flobear

« Reply #249 on: November 01, 2021, 17:17:53 PM »
@b15erk I found that I'd dropped a stitch on a sock that I finished at the weekend. When I realised I just couldn't be bothered to unpick and it was in an awkward bit to pick up and bring it through to the row I was working on. I just put the errant stitch on a stitch holder, made a new one and when I'd finished I secured the dropped stitch to the others with a tapestry needle and wool, if that makes sense. I assume nobody feels a need to closely inspect my socks ><

I recently finished a woolly hat for my Mum and made the same dicovery as you @coffeeandcake . I solved it in the same way! It's K1 P1 rib and in navy-blue - even I couldn't spot it afterwards  ;)
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Celia

« Reply #250 on: November 02, 2021, 20:03:59 PM »
I don’t think the knitting police are free at the moment  :thumbsup:

Celia

« Reply #251 on: November 03, 2021, 09:39:20 AM »
Ooh they look nice what yarn are they @Stitches.

I am on another sock mission this pair are knitted in single roll strips without a jog, I will post photo and more details later.
I am also being tempted by these
https://www.garnstudio.com/pattern.php?id=7938&cid=19
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 09:49:45 AM by Celia »

Flobear

« Reply #252 on: November 03, 2021, 11:06:11 AM »
Sheepy socks, brilliant!

I am interested in using a pattern with German short rows for the heel shaping having come across them knitting a collar for my big cardi.

No doubt the reference is in here somewhere but I'm not sure I can find it. Can anyone help please?

Ellabella

« Reply #253 on: November 03, 2021, 12:21:07 PM »
@Flobear I’ve got the instructions for German short rows in this pattern

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/sockmaticians-toe-ups

I know I shouldn’t send you the whole pattern but am happy to send the short row instructions if you want

Flobear

« Reply #254 on: November 03, 2021, 18:30:42 PM »
That would be most kind @Ellabella  :thumbsup:

eta Just followed your link to the pattern on Ravelry. That's the identical yarn that I used to knit my first pair of socks.
Well, not very Very first because I knitted a pair of cotton socks to wear when we did trampolining at school.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 18:33:32 PM by Flobear »