The Sewing Place

AUTUMN SOCK KNIT ALONG. 2023 New

coffeeandcake

Re: WINTER SOCK KNIT ALONG
« Reply #255 on: November 03, 2021, 20:23:03 PM »
I like the sheep sock pattern that you linked to @Celia.  I think I'll probably do those as a stocking stuffer for one of my daughters (once I finish my current pair). Thank you :)

b15erk

« Reply #256 on: November 04, 2021, 10:38:36 AM »
I'm afraid I need to jump ship forr a while.  I walked the doggies this morning, and have found myself in dire need of a hat...

I hate hats, and they look awful on me, but my head and ears were freezing while I was walking.

See you when the hat is done girls!  :rolleyes:

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Celia

« Reply #257 on: November 04, 2021, 10:51:28 AM »
@b15erk dont tempt me I might start a hat thread, I have knitted quite a lot

b15erk

« Reply #258 on: November 04, 2021, 10:55:09 AM »
Great idea @Celia !

I'm on the hunt for a Cable Knit pattern - I may see you on the Hat thread???  :dance:

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

coffeeandcake

« Reply #259 on: November 04, 2021, 13:16:43 PM »
If you search Debbie Bliss pompom hat @b15erk you should find a cable knit hat.  I've knitted a few of these in Aran weight yarn and they're a nice straightforward knit. 

Flobear

« Reply #260 on: November 04, 2021, 13:42:43 PM »
I'm up for hats too - I have quite a few that I can show - and also gloves  :thumbsup:

Pepper in his knitted dog coat might do for the Pets fred  ;)
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Turquoise

« Reply #261 on: November 04, 2021, 18:36:42 PM »
It’s not a cable pattern but the Arteixan hat is a nice textured hat pattern and knits up very quickly @b15erk .

After the third attempt I’ve managed to make a good start on my socks.  It took me a while to get used to the much smaller needles (my previous practice effort was using Aran scrap wool and larger needles) - I kept thinking I was somehow dropping stitches after the cast on but I think I’ve realised now that I was inadvertently pulling the end stitches too tight  as I was arranging for taat magic loop and so had knitted two together by mistake. Hopefully I will improve my technique with practice.

I’ve completed the ribbing and am knitting the “leg” bit of the socks now.

Pearl

« Reply #262 on: November 04, 2021, 20:41:58 PM »
I appear to have misread the pattern.  12cm not 12”.  Oh well, I’m going to have long socks.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #263 on: November 04, 2021, 22:52:07 PM »
I don’t think the knitting police are free at the moment  :thumbsup:

:devil: I took care of them. They had the audacity to suggest that knitting machines and looms weren't "real" knitting. I set them straight. Straight into a large trunk dropped into the Pacific Ocean.  :perfect10:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #264 on: November 04, 2021, 22:55:43 PM »
@b15erk dont tempt me I might start a hat thread, I have knitted quite a lot

Yes please ma'am. I'm wanting a few and that I could definitely manage on one of the round knitting looms. My cat toys were very successful. The round looms are definitely within my skill set.  :thumbsup:

Celia

« Reply #265 on: November 05, 2021, 12:23:01 PM »
Ok it’s up and running Hats this way please
https://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/topic,13631.0.html

Pearl

« Reply #266 on: November 06, 2021, 19:21:32 PM »
I have finished the first of the essential cable socks, but it is too big.  Think I’ll use a smaller needle for the next one… well , the next two.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 06:57:19 AM by Pearl »

Lowena

« Reply #267 on: November 06, 2021, 22:07:29 PM »
I wish I could knit  :|  :(
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #268 on: November 08, 2021, 05:31:36 AM »
@Stitches , how gorgeous!  Is that a self striping yarn?

Ann

« Reply #269 on: November 08, 2021, 10:53:06 AM »
I am back to knitting socks again. This time for DGS. The yarn is expensive as he is a yarn snob. I have the first one started but can't start the 2nd one until I unravel the mess the skein is in and wind it into a cake. I knew the skein was going to be the death of me when I undid it. It was a mess as the artisan had rushed putting it together. This is the 2nd one I have had to deal with from her. The first one was ready to go onto the swift and we had to bag it to get it home.

I will post more on this adventure as I will be taking pictures and introducing you to the yarn and socks. A simple pair that will be ribbed as this is DGS's favorite pattern.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres