The Sewing Place

AUTUMN SOCK KNIT ALONG. 2023 New

Turquoise

Re: WINTER SOCK KNIT ALONG
« Reply #270 on: November 08, 2021, 20:49:22 PM »
This evening I knitted the second heel on the socks.

I had to unpick my first attempt at the first heel so I’m really pleased that I’ve now got them both done and I can move on to knitting the foot.  The first part of the German short rows heel method went really well - it’s the second part that I have found more tricky and messed up the first time.

Celia

« Reply #271 on: November 09, 2021, 09:13:36 AM »
I haven’t tried the German short heel so am looking forward to hearing about it.  Your socks are lovely @Stitches.   @Ann I had quite a lot of skeins at one time and even had to buy a swift to help sort it out, don’t seem to have had so many lately

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #272 on: November 09, 2021, 10:04:14 AM »
Recent perusal of round loom hat patterns revealed all sorts of sock tutorials on YouTube.  :thinking: Both the finer sock looms, which are adjustable rectangles and I have one, as well as as chunkier slipper socks on the standard looms. Best surprise tutorial was for a heel using German short rows. Will peruse further..
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Ann

« Reply #273 on: November 09, 2021, 11:01:20 AM »
@Celia, I had a lot of hanks of yarn but got all into cakes when I was cleaning up the yarn stash. These two came from DDIL as she thought she was going to learn how to knit socks. She isn't ready to right now as she can't focus on it due to work. She will get there one day.

The socks are coming along and the yarn is a delight to knit with. The yarn is from an artisan who dyes her own yarn. This blend is called Magical Mulberry and is 75% superwash merino and 25% silk. The color is called Storm Coming! which I am sure one of her customers named (I named one of her colorways). This yarn has no nylon in it but I'm not too worried. DGS only wears his socks at home in the evening and lots of times will wear them to bed. This yarn has no nylon in it but I'm not too worried. DGS only wears his socks at home in the evening and lots of times will wear them to bed.

I am using 2.5mm needles with 72 stitches cast on. I am doing a 2x2 rib as DGS loves this pattern for his socks. They stay up well on him. I usually knit his socks on 3.25mm needles but I will knit him a finer gauged sock this time. When he was growing, I needed to be able to knit his socks quickly. I also did them on a larger needle as he is a type 1 diabetic and we were worried about socks being too tight on his legs. But he wears tighter socks than these so all is okay to knit a finer gauge.

I am sure these socks are going to knit quickly as I am monitoring a sick cat (bladder blockage) and alternate between cleaning house and knitting. Sewing is put on hold at the moment as I am staying upstairs with the cat.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Flobear

« Reply #274 on: November 11, 2021, 17:07:53 PM »
At last the rest of the wool has arrived for my 'Hearthside slippers'. I had waited 12 days for the replacement for the unsuitable colour and two days ago decided phoning might be a good idea. My little parcel arrived today  :thumbsup: I think the instructions will require some concentration - but I like a challenge  :D
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Celia

« Reply #275 on: November 11, 2021, 19:20:16 PM »
Looking forward to seeing them @Flobear

kowgiirl.up

« Reply #276 on: November 11, 2021, 19:42:41 PM »
I have to say here that I do not knit or crochet but am enjoying following you all on this thread   :thumbsup:

So much creativity here.
Runs with scissors ✂️ ✂️✂️

Pearl

« Reply #277 on: November 11, 2021, 20:20:09 PM »
I love those, @Flobear , but have never done colour work.  Do you think this would be doable for a first attempt?   What yarn are you using? 

Flobear

« Reply #278 on: November 11, 2021, 21:40:57 PM »
I wouldn't think the colour pattern is particularly tricky @Pearl but I've been knitting forever and am not the best judge.

I'm using Drops Nepal because the pattern suggests a thinner kind of chunky. I have knitted a tension square and will see how near it is when I've got good lighting to do the measuring.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Ann

« Reply #279 on: November 12, 2021, 11:41:14 AM »
@Flobear, can't wait to see your slippers.

Our cat has been under the weather for 5 days and I've done a lot of knitting while he has been in and out of the vet clinic with a bladder issue. The leg of the first sock is completed and the 2nd sock has 34 rows knit on it. I love knitting with this yarn and doing a K2P2 rib is easy to do. They also stay up on DGS's legs better.

Stash Busting 2023

Celia

« Reply #280 on: November 12, 2021, 15:10:47 PM »
@Ann it’s lucky we are all different I hate knitting 2 x 2 rib much rather fair isle :loveit:

toileandtrouble

« Reply #281 on: November 12, 2021, 17:20:35 PM »
@Ann  I don't know if you have been asked this already, but what are those little stitch holders doing down your socks?  Is there something to be added there later? Do tell!
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Ann

« Reply #282 on: November 12, 2021, 22:58:02 PM »
@toileandtrouble, the stitch markers go in on every 10th row so I know how many rows I have knit. Nothing special happening on those rows. It is just plain ribbing all the way down to the heel flap. I learned this technique years ago from a knitting teacher and have used it ever since.
Stash Busting 2023

toileandtrouble

« Reply #283 on: November 12, 2021, 23:22:25 PM »
@Ann Thank you!  I could have done with that- I am knitting a 26 stitch sleeve, in the round and I keep losing count of the rows.k
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Ann

« Reply #284 on: November 22, 2021, 10:55:05 AM »
I am chugging away on the socks for DGS. The gussets are done and I have 8 rounds knit on the foot of the first sock.

I've removed the two markers for the heel while I was padding it under the foot. I now take the row markers out on the leg and use them to mark every 10 rounds on the foot. The goal is to finish them by the end of the month as I have another pair to knit before Christmas. I am enjoying sock knitting a lot.
Stash Busting 2023