The Sewing Place

AUTUMN SOCK KNIT ALONG. 2023 New

Deafoldbat

Re: WINTER SOCK KNIT ALONG
« Reply #300 on: November 27, 2021, 19:31:32 PM »
@Lowena But you can knit, you said so in this thread a couple of months ago (c mid-September)

I can only do knit and purl on metal, straight needles.

If you can do that, you can do anything. You just need to try...

Pearl

« Reply #301 on: November 27, 2021, 19:33:37 PM »
I use 9” circular needles, @Lowena .  I don’t think I could manage dpn and magic loop is a bit too faffy for me.

Diane

« Reply #302 on: November 27, 2021, 19:40:25 PM »
Magic loop  :faints: i never know which needle to pull through, i always end up in a right ole pickle  :laughing:
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Lowena

« Reply #303 on: November 27, 2021, 22:17:18 PM »
@Deafoldbat  the last time I knitted something ( a square ) I was 7 years old.......67 yrs ago!!!! That was one row plain and one row purl.....
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ellabella

« Reply #304 on: November 28, 2021, 01:07:08 AM »
@Deafoldbat  the last time I knitted something ( a square ) I was 7 years old.......67 yrs ago!!!! That was one row plain and one row purl.....

@Lowena if you can do plain and pearl you’ve cracked it, everything else is variations of that.

Ploshkin

« Reply #305 on: November 28, 2021, 08:19:53 AM »
Even plain and purl are the same thing, just from the front and back.  I always tell people that there is only one stitch in knitting and you do things with it  :)
Life's too short for ironing.

Flobear

« Reply #306 on: November 28, 2021, 09:18:17 AM »
I've finally started on a Hearthside slipper - haven't got far, it's taking a bit of concentration. I just hope they're going to come out the right size!
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Ann

« Reply #307 on: November 28, 2021, 22:07:36 PM »
I have the socks ready to start the toes. A couple of days and they will be done. The video is up ready for me to follow along as I do them.

When I learned how to do magic loop and using double pointed needles you will not believe how many times I took my first projects apart and started again. It was part of the learning process. I have learned a lot from some great sock knitters -- Purl Together and Lucy Neatby to name two. Purl Together has given me more confidence in knitting using the magic loop and Lucy Neatby knitting with 5 dpns. I never learned how to knit in the round properly until I was older and it was learn as you go. YouTube, Craftsy, and a few books.

I have one more pair of socks to knit before Christmas and then I will be done until mid January when I start knitting socks in worsted weight yarn. I'll be keeping this thread active.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

b15erk

« Reply #308 on: November 29, 2021, 09:56:15 AM »
Sorry I've been AWOL, but stuff intervened which meant I have been unable to pick up either knitting or sewing for several weeks.  I had two weeks of infections which laid me low, and last week, the middle finger of my right hand was causing me so much pain, I could barely hold a pen, much less knitting needles.

This week, I feel so much better, but not sure I'll catch up with everything, so I will concentrate on what is possible.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Celia

« Reply #309 on: November 29, 2021, 17:24:24 PM »
It’s good to see people still knitting.  Don’t worry @b15erk life has a nasty way of getting in the way.  I

I have had to unpick the second of my mittens as I forgot to do the in rear or after the rib  :thinking:  So my socks are a bit more delayed.

I am also thinking of knitting these
https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/shiversome    Or at least something like them

Flobear

« Reply #310 on: November 29, 2021, 17:58:21 PM »
I often knit little snowmen at this time of year as Christmas decorations. The charity I volunteered with in Dorset used to sell them in their shop. Also mini striped 'stockings' that were just the right size for two mini Green and Blacks choccies.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Pearl

« Reply #311 on: December 02, 2021, 08:01:56 AM »
Even though I haven’t finished my cable socks, I couldn’t resist this little box of loveliness.

Ann

« Reply #312 on: December 02, 2021, 12:48:45 PM »
I got DGS's socks done and forgot to post them yesterday. Though the yarn is lovely, the finished product (as usual) looks ugly. As I rib his socks they are always long and skinny looking. As long as he likes them and wears them, he gets socks.

I have cast on DDIL's socks and have the first cuff knit and did part of a round on the 2nd cuff. I'm going to try something new with her socks -- Purl 2 Knit 4. They are mirrored socks which are always fun to knit.
Stash Busting 2023

realale

« Reply #313 on: December 03, 2021, 16:51:39 PM »
Well, I've cast on for the first sock and done 6 rows.
I was inspired by winwickmum.co.uk on YouTube and then followed her tutorial on her website. It's so long since I knit socks that I'm like a beginner again.
It's not helped by not liking the sock wool I have but I'm too stingy to buy some other when this is ok just not my colours. (The socks are for hubby and he likes the colours so meh  :\)
Don't wait with bated breath, this could take some time.  ><
So many beers, so little time.

Ann

« Reply #314 on: December 05, 2021, 12:11:43 PM »
I'm on pair #4 now and have about 15 more rounds on sock #2 and I'll be doing the heel flap. These socks are fun as I am using up left over yarn and learning new techniques. I learned that I needed to knit the first row of the color change so the purl bumps don't show two colors. I also learned how to do jogless joins in the round.

I'm having fun with them and I hope DDIL enjoys them. If she does, I will knit up the yarn left over from DGS's socks for her in the same pattern as these. They knit up fast though the pattern can be a bit boring at times though easy to do when watching videos.
Stash Busting 2023