The Sewing Place

AUTUMN SOCK KNIT ALONG. 2023 New

Flobear

Re: WINTER SOCK KNIT ALONG
« Reply #315 on: December 05, 2021, 12:58:52 PM »
Looking great, @Ann  :thumb:  I love the oppositenessness of the colours.  Jogless joins sound interesting  :D

I am making very slow progress with my Hearthside slippers. Having waited ages for the replacement colour yarn I finally got round to knitting one sole (had to concentrate) then, having picked up all the stitches in colour 2 for the upper, needed a 5mm crochet hook which I can't for the life of me find  :facepalm:  Mum has searched in her stuff too, to no avail, but luckily I found today that the local 'everything' shop had just two in stock and also a 3.25mm. Gone are the days when I could nip the mile and a quarter up the road to Hobbycraft!

Anyway, there might be something worth photographing soon  :[
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Ann

« Reply #316 on: December 05, 2021, 16:45:15 PM »
I forgot to introduce the yarn for the yellow and green socks. The wool is from Ancient Arts which is produced and dyed in Canada. The yarn is 80% merino wool and 20% nylon. The yarn comes from a line called Hat Trick named after hockey teams in Canada and the US. These yarns are semi solids to go with the painted yarn. The yellow is called Offside and the green is Hooking. I began knitting socks using this yarn as I was able to visit the store in person. It was there that I got the pattern I knit for DGS when he was only 6 years old.

I am following Purl Together as I love her method of knitting socks. I chose the pattern from a pattern I found online and counted the knits and purls to get the pattern.

Hopefully, I will have more pictures of the socks later this week.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Celia

« Reply #317 on: December 05, 2021, 16:56:03 PM »
Ooh I am doing some with a jogless  join using the helical method. Love it

Flobear

« Reply #318 on: December 05, 2021, 17:51:34 PM »
There's always something to learn on TSP  :loveit:

toileandtrouble

« Reply #319 on: December 05, 2021, 23:22:38 PM »
@Celia  @Ann Thanks for the posts, I just found out how to do that join!
(Got in a real muddle there.  Thanked Ann initially, looked down, changed it to Celia,, realised it was  Ann first...it was the middle of the night)
Now have to make something stripey to try it out. ( I'm with you @realale . Yes, "Ooh, shiny - must try that." )
 Have already parked my socks and the boring plain men's socks to do a pair  with loose cuffs for my friend with heart failure. Her poor legs are swollen and her hands so cold.  I find if I have woollen socks on, it helps my circulation and I feel warmer all over. She says she has never had woollen socks. Anyhow, one done and the second started tonight. Picture later.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 07:43:47 AM by toileandtrouble »
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Ouryve

« Reply #320 on: December 05, 2021, 23:41:45 PM »
I have a bunch of Regia that I picked up for £1 a ball on hobby craft when they had a big clearance, many years ago. It does make pretty bombproof socks and is good for mindless knitting.

Also have some wollmeise 80/20 in colours I don't like close to my face. Found the petty harbour sock pattern which I shall probably cast on after a hat or two.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

toileandtrouble

« Reply #321 on: December 06, 2021, 10:56:40 AM »
These are the socks for my friend.  It is 6ply, I was going to make boot socks but this is more urgent, another chilly spell starting.  The cuffs have to be really really loose.  A continental cast on, 60 stitches   2x2 rib and larger needles. After the cuff I took it down to 48 stitches and smaller needles and went back to the pattern. The Regia 6ply pattern has a new (to me) heel, which was interesting and I've done a tapered toe end finished with Kitchener stitch.  I have not sewn in the yarn ends yet, she can try this one on and it will be easier to undo - if I have to.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #322 on: December 06, 2021, 12:03:07 PM »
Ooh nice colour @toileandtrouble.
It’s fascinating reading about the different patterns and methods and seeing everyone’s socks.
I have to own up to some of it being a complete mystery to me.  Last year I found some crochet sock patterns and I am tempted with those as I prefer crochet. 

Turquoise

« Reply #323 on: December 06, 2021, 12:05:40 PM »
The knitting is finished on my first socks so now the pattern says I need to finish them by using kitchener stitch - so I'm off to YouTube to find some instructions :)

toileandtrouble

« Reply #324 on: December 06, 2021, 12:06:18 PM »
@Ohsewsimple  Well, crochet is a mystery to me, apart from the straight bits and granny squares.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #325 on: December 06, 2021, 12:21:57 PM »
@Ohsewsimple  Well, crochet is a mystery to me, apart from the straight bits and granny squares.

I’m lazy.  Crochet is sooooo much quicker.  :rolleyes:   And granny squares are something I can’t stand.  I really like more modern stuff.  But that’s the same with dressmaking. I like something that pushes me to try something a bit different.  Now, if I was taller there would be lots I’d make!   :laughing:

realale

« Reply #326 on: December 06, 2021, 12:58:43 PM »
My sock is now 2" long!! I'm not a speedy knitter so this could take some time  :P
However I got intrigued with the 'jogless join using the helical method' and watched some videos on that (I refer you to my 'Oooh Look, Shiny!!' confession). The chances of me ever doing striped socks (or striped anything!!) other than with striped wool is less than zero but I watched it and thought "I could do that".....  :S  :embarrassed:
So many beers, so little time.

Turquoise

« Reply #327 on: December 06, 2021, 13:48:10 PM »

@realale you can’t be as slow a knitter as me and I’ve now finished, so yours won’t be too long.

Not sure every part of my Kitchener stitch was right but they are stitched together now and very comfy and warm.

Ann

« Reply #328 on: December 06, 2021, 21:50:11 PM »
@toileandtrouble, love those socks. I'm not sure what weight 6 ply is but they look lovely and warm and not too tight at all. I'm sure she will love them.

@Turquoise, your socks are lovely. Once you get the hang of the Kitchener stitch, you will fly away at doing them. I have a little saying to do it. When I put in the needle I say (front needle) purl, take off, knit, (back needle) knit, take off, purl. I don't do the usual first stitch like most say to do as I always had ears and Purl Together showed us this way and I'm hooked.

I'm ready to turn the heel on both socks tonight. Then change color to do the foot.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Flobear

« Reply #329 on: December 07, 2021, 08:44:24 AM »
Ooh, Ann, I also get little 'ears' when I do Kitchener stitch so will def. have a go at this variation.
And I have a mantra which kicks in after the first stitch or two!
K front off
P front on
P back off
K back on