The Sewing Place

AUTUMN SOCK KNIT ALONG. 2023 New

Celia

Re: WINTER SOCK KNIT ALONG
« Reply #360 on: December 14, 2021, 09:29:40 AM »
It is lovely to see all these socks, mine are still on hold as I am trying to get a couple more Christmas snowmen done.

@Flobear are you going to put something non slip on the sole.

Flobear

« Reply #361 on: December 14, 2021, 11:48:58 AM »
Yes @Celia . Especially as I slipped down the last three or four stairs last week and am sporting a few bruises  :\
Haven't decided what to use yet as I'm not sure what's available.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Ann

« Reply #362 on: December 14, 2021, 13:51:23 PM »
Last pair of socks are done for this year. I haven't made socks for DDIL before so it was a bit of a guessing game. She has small feet so these are the trial and error pair.

DD calls them John Deere socks. They are a Canadian football team's colors but I do like John Deere colors also.

Next up - a head band out of wool that I will send to DD. I need something to knit in the evenings.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

realale

« Reply #363 on: December 21, 2021, 14:07:13 PM »
Aaaah! No! My empty bamboo dpn has just flown off into a pile of junk and I can't find it!! I'm halfway through the final foot on size 2.5 - can I just use one odd size three needle to finish off? Will it make much difference? Going to Amazon to order a new set but I'm running out of time....  :headbang:

All is well, I've found it!! panic over.  :dance:

Having said that, what are your favourite dpns for sock knitting? I use bamboo but wondered if others were better/different. I don't get on with circular needles so I'm just interested in dpns at the moment.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 14:11:28 PM by realale »
So many beers, so little time.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #364 on: December 21, 2021, 16:16:24 PM »
@realale I like bamboo as well. And beech.  The wooden ones get a nice patina after you have handled them a while and the knitting slides along.  I like them also because they are silent.  It must be annoying to sit and watch TV with someone going click click all the time.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Ann

« Reply #365 on: December 21, 2021, 16:59:10 PM »
@realale, I have used Karbonz by Knitter's Pride when I knit socks on dpns. You can get them on Amazon. Pricey but the yarn doesn't slip off the needles. You can also get ChiaoGoo dpns also in metal and bamboo. I have knit with the bamboo circular needles and do like them. They are also pricey but not as pricey as the Karbonz. I have also knit with Knit Picks wooden needles and like them also.

I have quite the collection of Karbonz and Knit Picks along with an interchangeable set of Knitters Pride. I do use both dpns and circulars. I am now getting into ChiaoGoo needles as family wants to know what I want for Christmas. I like their cables better. But, I will knit with what I have and it allows me to have two socks on the go.

With the last socks I knit, I knit one on Knitters Pride and one on Knit Picks. I did like the Knitter's Pride needle better. They were smoother and had a nicer balance when I paid attention to the needles. Otherwise they didn't bother me in the least.

A top notch knitting teacher here in Nova Scotia knits on birch dpns and swears by them. A lady who lives near us knits with Signature dpns. They are the luxury model of dpns. I knit a couple of rows using her needles and these needles are to die for and very expensive at $67.00 US for a set of dpns. These are the dpns I would get if I was going to knit a lot of socks on dpns.
Stash Busting 2023

realale

« Reply #366 on: December 22, 2021, 13:37:47 PM »
 :dance: Yay!! Whoop whoop!! Happy Dance  :dance:
The second sock is finished  :faints:
And in time for Christmas  :xclap:
So glad to not have to knit with that yarn again  0_0
Stripes nearly match up  :thumb: but I'm not going to stress over inconsistencies  :P  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Celia

« Reply #367 on: December 22, 2021, 16:40:06 PM »
They look great and it really doesn’t matter if they match or not as they are beautifully hand made.

Flobear

« Reply #368 on: December 22, 2021, 17:53:02 PM »
I really like the look of those @realale  :thumb:

Just to say that I have finished knitting my left Hearthside slipper but haven't yet sewn down the lining inside. A pencil case and a pair of knitted mitts have got in the way!
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Ellabella

« Reply #369 on: December 22, 2021, 18:21:45 PM »
I must try to master dpns .  I am happy with magic loop but realise that socks would be quicker on dpns, but they are so pointy.

coffeeandcake

« Reply #370 on: December 22, 2021, 19:01:19 PM »
Love your socks @realale :D
My mum used to knit a lot but sadly she is no longer with us. (Quite emotional writing that even though she passed 25 years ago) Anyway, I have most of her knitting needles, which are the metal ones. I'm gradually buying new ones and opting for bamboo - mostly circulars as I find them very nice to knit with.

Celia

« Reply #371 on: December 23, 2021, 13:46:52 PM »
@Ellabella i can use both but definitely knit quicker with magic loop method.  I have also used the 9inch circulars but they can give my hands cramp if I knit too much

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #372 on: December 23, 2021, 14:10:14 PM »
@realale, love the socks!

I had a knitting friend who made me a few pairs, but they were all actual wool which I couldn't wear next to my skin, so I only wore them occasionally when it was really cold and I could have a thin pair of cotton or bamboo inside them.
Then after we moved OH found them and absolutely loves wearing them, and doesn't find the wool irritates his skin so a win. Always makes me smile seeing him in rainbow handknit socks.
(I am not a knitter, nor a crochet person but am in awe of those of you who can!)

Ann

« Reply #373 on: December 23, 2021, 21:25:10 PM »
@realale, those are beautiful socks. I never pay attention to whether socks match or not. Family wear them under pants so no one sees them. That being said, I've opted to buy yarn that is heathered as I like the look of it over stripe socks.

I'll be back to knitting socks in January as I have at least 6 pairs to knit in 2022.
Stash Busting 2023

realale

« Reply #374 on: December 27, 2021, 16:21:56 PM »
Well, I blame you lot. It is all your fault - you have turned me into a sock knitter!!!
After finishing hubby's socks (which he loves and is extolling how comfortable they are) I dove straight in to start another pair.
And I ordered more sock wool. I went with @Celia recommendation of Marriners yarn and ordered two balls on Tuesday 21st evening thinking they would be here for the new year. Their site was warning of delivery delays and allowing a long time for delivery - they arrived on Friday 24th!!
I also got new dpns as my bamboo ones were bending.
I see more socks in my life and it's all your fault!!!  :laughing: