The Sewing Place

Brother f420

Lady Violet

Brother f420
« on: September 09, 2021, 16:51:29 PM »
I have seen this sewing machine for sale at my local craft shop.  It is an ex demo machine on sale for £545. 

At the moment I have a Janome QXL 605.  I do love this machine, but find it is not happy sewing sewing things like denim or big projects like a wool coat. 

Would the Brother be a good companion to the Janome?

A bad start always has a good ending ☘

WildAtlanticWay

Re: Brother f420
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2021, 21:05:14 PM »
I have a Brother innov-is1300 which is similar to the F420 as I had originally considered that particular model.

However, your Janome machine already has lots of stitch options so I don’t think the F420 will be that much different?

If you’re looking for something more heavy duty for thicker fabrics such as leather and denim, have you looked at the machines advertised as heavy duty such as the Janome HD9?

Pembertons in Scotland have a secondhand upgraded version of the HD9 on their website, which might be worth investigating?

https://www.psmc.co.uk/acatalog/Janome-HD9-V2-Sewing-Machine-4321.html#SID=33

Lady Violet

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 21:52:09 PM »
Thank you.  Yes the HD9 is probably a good option.  I will look into this one. :)
A bad start always has a good ending ☘

Kitten

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2021, 16:50:46 PM »
The HD9 is very good, just remember it's straight stitch only.
I've thrown lots at it and it just goes on without complaining.
The only thing is the cutter makes a very loud clunck.
I do like using it though.

Gernella

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2021, 10:15:22 AM »

The only thing is the cutter makes a very loud clunck.
I do like using it though.

That's the bit I like @Kitten shows it means business, I wish the others were the same.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included