The Sewing Place

Unpicking, Tinking ??

b15erk

Unpicking, Tinking ??
« on: September 10, 2021, 10:24:28 AM »
I've been knitting the lovely little Holding Hands baby blanket pattern, and it is a really straightforward, easy pattern.  Over the last few days though, I've felt really off my perch, overtired and hot, tummy a bit off, so rather than stand sewing, I've picked up my knitting.

The blanket is shaping up really well, but, several times through lack of concentration, I've found myself having to unpick several rows.  It's time consuming, and tedious.  I know there are various ways of correcting mistakes, but I usually use the 'one stitch at a time' method - unless I have many rows to unpick, when I will unravel the rows to the nearest couple of rows, then finish by unpicking a stitch at a time.

I know there is a method of correcting your work, if the mistake is in a small area, but I'm not that confident about using it...

Any tips out there about Unpicking to correct knitting mistakes?  151 sts isn't the end of the world, but when the mistake is only over 4sts, 4 rows down... :boohoo:

Holding Hands Blanket

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

maliw

Re: Unpicking, Tinking ??
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2021, 11:10:36 AM »
I drop a stitch at a time and then pick it up in the right direction using a crochet hook. You can see what you are doing as each stitch goes up a row. Take your time. I showed DDiL and she can do it even though she hasn't been knitting for very long.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Syrinx

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2021, 11:39:56 AM »
I do what maliw does

Drop whichever stitch (or stitches if I mess up a bit of cable) and undo it down to whatever row is correct then pick it back up correctly each row until I get back to the current one. Works really well.

coffeeandcake

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2021, 12:25:20 PM »
4 stitches 4 rows down I would unpick the 4 stitches down to the correct row and then hold the correct 4 stitches on a straight cable needle as I rework them back up to the needle.

Ouryve

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2021, 17:47:44 PM »
4 stitches 4 rows down I would unpick the 4 stitches down to the correct row and then hold the correct 4 stitches on a straight cable needle as I rework them back up to the needle.

This is pretty much all I own a crochet hook for!
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2021, 19:39:12 PM »
Thanks Girls!  I knew there were better ways to do this, but I was afraid of making matters worse.  I've learnt from experience though about ignoring the problem, a pattern error will stick out like a sore thumb on the finished project!

I've nearly finished this now, so the next job will be - to line, or not to line?

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.