The Sewing Place

Janome DC3100 and or 7025? What's the better option?

Yukster

Janome DC3100 and or 7025? What's the better option?
« on: September 10, 2021, 15:48:42 PM »
I would like to buy a sewing machine for my partner who is an intermediate sewer. I shortlisted the Janome DC3100 (electronic) and the 7025 (mechanical) but am unsure whether these are the best options. It was going to be a suprose present but then i decided to ask her and she is unsure which one she would prefer. It is going to be used for curtain making, dressmaking, clothes alternations etc.  Any advice re the better choice will be appreciated!

SkoutSews

Re: Janome DC3100 and or 7025? What's the better option?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2021, 17:10:37 PM »
Although I don't have any experience of the models you mention, I had this machine from John Lewis which was great for sewing through layers of upholstery fabric, as well as dressmaking. I sold it on very reluctantly after a big upgrade, but I've told the buyer that I'll have it back if she doesn't get on with it!  I was sad to see it go.  It is a sturdy, mechanical machine, controllable and dependable.

There are similar models available from Sewing Machines Direct which is a good online source.

You were wise to involve your wife in the decision and if you can go and try out some machines, it does help.  It's funny how some 'fit' the user better than others.  I wish you happy searching!

Syrinx

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2021, 17:34:21 PM »
I have the Janome 7025 and I love it. It's 15 years old now and still sews like a champ. Sews through crazy thick material, handles my quilting well, sews my garment fabrics nicely. Fix my horse rugs on it too! Highly recommend it. I get it serviced every couple of years and so far nothing major wrong with it which is excellent.

I personally prefer manual to electronic but that's personal preference. No experience with the other you mention, but can wholeheartedly give the 7025 a 10/10 rating

Helen M

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2021, 18:23:20 PM »
I also prefer mechanical to computerised.

The machine that @SkoutSews mentions the 5024 is up a level from the 7025 and I would recommend it.

I have the 18 stitch version and it will take heavy duty fabrics. Mine is the 4618LE and I've had it for 10 years and this machine has had so many different numbers and is known as a 'workhorse'.  Mine replaced the 3018 which I'd had for 20 years and the only difference was the name, so I think you could say I like the machine!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55