The Sewing Place

Best sewing machine for dressmaking?

Gernella

Re: Best sewing machine for dressmaking?
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2021, 17:37:11 PM »
@Gernella The collection is growing a little, I must confess - a brilliant viking husqvarna 21 which was given to me; the QE4.2; a Pfaff 1475, a Brother CS-8080; and 2 x babylocks:  Eclipse in GWO; Evolve which has to be manually threaded.
Also - another eccentric spontaneous purchase - a Brother Home Locking Machine (3-thread but not differential feed).
THe Brother has been a wonderful surprise, because its very efficient and quiet.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I have now bared my soul to all of TSP! :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :| :|

:faints: :faints:
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Helen M

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2021, 20:01:13 PM »

Also - another eccentric spontaneous purchase - a Brother Home Locking Machine (3-thread but not differential feed).
THe Brother has been a wonderful surprise, because its very efficient and quiet.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

@annieeg my overlocker is a Brother homelock 3 thread but has the differential feed, a 730D. Can I ask which one yours is out of curiosity? I got it new in 1989 and it's still going strong, changed the knife blades last week (2nd time!) and I still love it.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

annieeg

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2021, 22:26:09 PM »
@Helen M
Mine is the brother home lock model 523 which is described in the manual as an "Overedging Sewing Machine".  The front panel is lime green.  It's made in Japan.
I'm guessing it's older than yours as it doesn't have DF.
It's so quiet and smooth, it's a pleasure to use.

Helen M

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2021, 23:14:09 PM »
I think the DF had just come in when I got mine. This is the 4 thread one (mine just has the left needle), it has a thread catcher too.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

annieeg

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2021, 17:03:22 PM »
@Helen M
Here's a pic of my Home Lock 523
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Gernella

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2021, 17:44:43 PM »
Being a sucker for pretty pictures, I like the QE4.2 the best @annieeg
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Esme866

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2021, 19:51:42 PM »
@annieeg Love the "green machine"! That has to be one of, if not the earliest, over locker offered for home use!

Helen M

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2021, 09:35:20 AM »
Love the look of your machine @annieeg! I think they were smaller then, and the sound is quite different from modern models.

William

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2021, 14:07:04 PM »
Hello-

I am really pleased with my both my Pfaff Smarter and the Singer Symphony 4. The Smarter is the 155 and so both have one-step buttonholes. Though not a necessity, they do make life easier.
I did have a Pfaff 204 that did not have automatic buttonholes but made buttonholes that were to die for...

WD
...it was a Hobbit hole, and that meant comfort.

Bjay

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2021, 13:07:09 PM »
My daughter has just requested a sewing machine  :faints:

She just tbinks it may be a useful thing to have. I am not willing to pay more than £100, preferably less as it will rarely be used
BUT
suggestions please.
@Ploshkin said in a post Something of your preferred brand with straight stitch, zig zag and buttonholes.  You don't really need anything else.

There is a Brother and a Lewis's own make @Siver' that seem to fit the bill, Any suggestions on model numbers etc
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

Gernella

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2021, 13:14:54 PM »
Pity you can't rent them for a short time, then if the novelty wears off back it goes.

Janome seem to have a really good range to cater for all pockets @Bjay Lets face it, most of us started on old (sturdy) bangers.

Helen M

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2021, 13:26:42 PM »
The John Lewis 'brand' are Janomes.

Ouryve

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2021, 23:39:14 PM »
That green overlocker is a little intimidating.

Probably too late but my only advice would be to look for a metal framed machine. I picked up a brother fs60, about 5 years ago, for a, song, and it was great for odd seams and fixes and had loads of stops and whistles. As soon as I threw a dense cotton poplin or a smooth cotton Jersey at it, it became quite flaky. It's now my spare machine and my everyday machine is a janome m50 qdc. More powerful motor, as smooth as anything, even with challenging fabrics. Would have liked more harp space and twin needle capability but there wasn't much in stock, in budget, when I bought it, last year this year, I would have been tempted by the £500 pfaff ambition that sew essential had.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

BrendaP

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2021, 00:10:07 AM »
@Ouryve surely any machine that can make a zig-zag stitch can use a twin needle.  Just don't use a needle that's wider than the machine's maximum zig-zag width.

You will need to experiment with the tensions a bit, and either use bobbins on the spool pin or a thread stand for the second thread, but essentially the action of the machine will cause the bobbin thread to pick up both needle threads resulting in two parallel lines of stitches on the top and a zig-zagging bobbin thread underneath.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ouryve

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2021, 00:29:11 AM »
@Ouryve surely any machine that can make a zig-zag stitch can use a twin needle.  Just don't use a needle that's wider than the machine's maximum zig-zag width.

You will need to experiment with the tensions a bit, and either use bobbins on the spool pin or a thread stand for the second thread, but essentially the action of the machine will cause the bobbin thread to pick up both needle threads resulting in two parallel lines of stitches on the top and a zig-zagging bobbin thread underneath.

Nope. Mine doesn't have it listed as a capability and, despite a second pin being available and bobbin tension being adjustable , I can't make it work without serious tunnelling. Stitch width isn't an issue as that is 7mm.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"