The Sewing Place

Recovering some pad things

Syrinx

Recovering some pad things
« on: September 15, 2021, 10:04:24 AM »
Got a friend with some shoulder rests (gym equipment) that need recovering. Rectangular chunky blocks. Not a big deal. Just wondering whether to pull off the old pleather or just wrap a new piece on top - we're not sure what state the actual padding is in under it. Either way I get to cut out a big bit of pleather, sew the corners all pretty and staple it on. Just want to know the hive mind thoughts on - just cover or recover it properly?

Bumblebuncher

Re: Recovering some pad things
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 10:27:55 AM »
For me, it would depend on what I wanted to do.  I know that may sound like pussyfooting around the question, but sometimes I want to get my teeth into it (metaphorically of course).  I did this while covering some cushions for my friend.  She asked for covers, I took the old ones apart and used them as a pattern.  The only reason being that I wanted to do it.
Other times I have just made a cover and left the old ones on.
There is nothing worse than having pulled the whole thing apart and then having to spend hours doing something you don't want to do!
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 11:06:33 AM »
If the existing covers are pleather I think that you would need to remove it first because the shiny surface will cause the new layer to move around.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Esme866

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 18:47:23 PM »
I'd remove the old. Best pattern.  May help to add a layer of polyester batting to help new pleather conform to old shape.

Surest1tch

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2021, 16:08:50 PM »
I too would remove the old covering crossing my fingers the foam underneath isn't crumbling.

Syrinx

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2021, 16:13:32 PM »
Yeah that's what I'm worried about. Crumbling foam would not be good!

toileandtrouble

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2021, 22:34:34 PM »
If it was crumbling, it would still do it after it was recovered.  you might as well know now, and get the foam replaced before you do it.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m