The Sewing Place

wardrobe sort out

SewRuthieSews

wardrobe sort out
« on: September 15, 2021, 20:14:19 PM »
I'm going to have a wardrobe sort out now we've moved.

I did have a clear out before I moved of things that were too small or constricting in any way.

I'm now wondering if I need to get rid of anything largely polyester as they are horrible when a hot flush hits.
I'm also not sure I want anything 100% wool, as that's too warm.
Also I have a lot of coats, and lots of footwear of various comfort levels.

I am doing more social activities and not going in an office anymore, so I guess that changes what's useful in a wardrobe.

Anyone done something similar? And if so how did you tackle it?

Surest1tch

Re: wardrobe sort out
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 20:28:43 PM »
I did when I started with the flushes, everything apart from my coats that wasn't cotton or linen including my bra's got disposed of to either the charity shop or the clothing bins at the recycling centre.
It nearly broke my heart to do it but I was getting the flushes so badly and frequently I had to do something. I'm still getting them now 20 years on from when they started but not as many or as badly.

SewRuthieSews

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 21:02:07 PM »
@Surest1tch - 20 years? oh heck!

That's not normal!  Might actually be from other causes. Usually it's 2 years or less. It's made worse by being overweight, drinking alcohol or caffeine, smoking or eating spicy foods. Lots of self help info online. Best remedy is estrogen. Read up once you get settled in then consult your doctor.

For the wardrobe, pitching most polyester makes sense to me. Since you like to go for walks retaining some woolens might be practical. If they fit now remember that the hot flashes will go away and then you'll want them. I imagine you can have a good sort out of the shoes. Separate them by types to make that easier. I'm hoping you'll be able to stay retired in which case you'll need one or two smart looking work/ funeral outfits including shoes. The rest of those can go.

I've been procrastinating on doing this. I have all sorts of clothes and almost nothing that I wear. The closet and dresser are pretty full. I'm planning on one to two dresser drawers this evening after I change the bedding. Before the cats get to the bed.  :meow:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Catllar

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2021, 08:38:44 AM »
Sounds like a plan getting rid of polyester.  I fetched a little jacket with me here and I wore it yesterday evening but the sleeve lining is poly and after a very short while I was running with sweat, so that will be looked at  to see if I can alter or else it's going.

I have a lot of clothes again after a boring period of lockdown with nothing much to do apart from sew. I try to work on a one in one out policy but it has gotten away from me big time  recently so some serious pruning will happen soon.  I am also rapidly coming to the conclusion that I really don't enjoy sewing for me and I do enjoy clothes shopping.  Yesterday I bought a pair of trousers and a great shirt in no time at all. No fabric hunting, pattern adjusting, sewing unpicking sewing unpicking. Quite a nice experience instead

My normal sorting out policy is anything that doesn't fit etc goes, then I sort by sets - each thing has to work with at least 2 other things - orphans not allowed, mind you I've done that for years so no real room for pruning there, but it might give you a start point.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

annieeg

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2021, 09:49:54 AM »
I've done a similar (quite brutal) sort out since being redundant in March 2020.
I always check fabric labels before buying anything RTW and avoid 100% polyester.
Viscose is ok and doesn't make me too hot.  I make a lot of viscose tops and always ask the fabric retailer to confirm it's 100% viscose.  Immanuels are very helpful about this.
I kept a couple of formal jackets/trousers/dresses.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2021, 09:59:17 AM »
My method of wardrobe organisation is simple.  Wear black with occasional purple, red or silver.
That way everything goes together  :laughing:
I am now reaching the point of having bought clothes in lockdown that I really don't like but didn't have much choice as I lost weight after my thyroid began to behave itself.  I bought what I could in Tesco but they had limited availability of black  :[
It goes against the grain to get rid of things I have had less than a year, but I will probably never wear them so a clear out is inevitable I suppose. Especially as so much of it is really useless for those hot flush moments! I have had them for getting on for 10 years now and it is beginning to irritate no end!
BB
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 10:00:49 AM by Bumblebuncher »
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Starryfish

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2021, 11:07:08 AM »
When I got made redundant and realised I wouldn't be working again, I had almost nothing to wear apart from some jeans and tops.
It took a while to assemble a coherent wardrobe for my new way of life. I never wore polyester if I could help it, wool suits for winter and linen/cotton for summer. I hate sewing polyester ,just all natural fibres.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Celia

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2021, 14:22:15 PM »
Same happened to me, no more work as such so most of the wardrobe is redundant, I have sorted some of it but still need to do more.  Shoes and boots are my nightmare I have way too many but a lot are still new or in excellent condition, I am finding it difficult to get rid of them.

At the moment I am not going out hardly at all and that makes it much more difficult to make the right decisions. If I threw all everything out I haven’t worn in the last 18 months I would keep very little :loveit: :loveit:

Surest1tch

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2021, 15:56:51 PM »
@Renegade Sewist, apparently it is normal, something to do with genetics  :'(. My grandmother was still getting them right up to when she died in her late 80's and my mother who is 90 is still getting them, so it looks like I'm going to be stuck with them  :'( :'( :'( :'(.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2021, 23:15:13 PM »
@Renegade Sewist, apparently it is normal, something to do with genetics  :'(. My grandmother was still getting them right up to when she died in her late 80's and my mother who is 90 is still getting them, so it looks like I'm going to be stuck with them  :'( :'( :'( :'(.

Oh joy. It's like when I found out about adult acne. Noooo! I think I finally stopped breaking out after menopause had firmly set in.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2021, 08:56:44 AM »
I think for now I may unpack the bags, but fold things up and store in cupboard for when there is less chaos.
I have loads of shoes and boots but most are not great for walking which I do more now (I used to drive to work and switch to trainers for lunchtime walk).

I suppose I could try and sell a few bits on ebay and charity shop/recycle the rest.

So Chic

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2021, 11:11:28 AM »
I read somewhere that women wear 20% of their clothes 80% of the time and 80% is worn 20%.  I now try to only make or buy something that I know I will wear on a regular basis although I don’t always succeed. 
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Helen M

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2021, 11:32:35 AM »
I can imagine you're in a dilemma @SewRuthieSews. I find shoes and boots the hardest to sort. I'd toss any you no longer like but hold on to any that you do and would be hard to replace if you needed to. Maybe hold for a year to take you through all seasons in your new settings. I need to do a sort myself!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Catllar

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2021, 18:26:31 PM »
I think for now I may unpack the bags, but fold things up and store in cupboard for when there is less chaos.

I suppose I could try and sell a few bits on ebay and charity shop/recycle the rest.

That way lies doing nothing with them! If you unpack and immediately sort out into recycle and sale bags then go the extra yard and take those to the charity shop then that's job done!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !