The Sewing Place

wardrobe sort out

mudcat

Re: wardrobe sort out
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2021, 21:24:20 PM »
@SewRuthieSews are you planning to ever work again?  If not then there is probably no point in keeping work only clothes.  I never had strictly work clothes.  It was more private at home vs public wardrobes. 

I've been looking at consignment shops for some of my higher end boutique items that are now too big for me after losing 20lbs.  They cost too much for me to want to donate to a charity shop. Not really interested in going the eBay route.  I loved eBay when it was strictly an auction site but don't like what it has morphed into.  Plus with all the fees it feels like the net amount I'd make would be minimal.  What will probably happen is after enough time passes I will be able to more easily get rid of an item.  I imagine consignment would be less hassle and probably would end up with the same amount in pocket. 

Ouryve

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2021, 23:34:31 PM »
Definitely get rid of the polyester - though donate or repurpose what you can! Hold onto the wool unless it's awful, though. Might be because I'm in the northeast but there's usually a few weeks in winter when even my least successful knits get worn. I've also found that now I'm past perimenopause, I occasionally feel the cold again.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Helen M

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2021, 12:03:31 PM »
Another suggestion @SewRuthieSews. Have you thought about making up outfits including shoes, bag and outerwear (even if you probably won't need it)? Maybe allow 2 tops for each bottom and 2 options of footwear but don't keep if just 'okay'. If something doesn't work ditch it.

This is something I've done this spring/summer. I've found I've worn fewer clothes (and found out what doesn't really 'go' with anything at all!) but many more on rotation than I've done in the past.  I've felt happier knowing if I wear said skirt/pants which tops go well and don't get fed up deciding what to wear. I'm going to have a good sort as I put away very summer clothing and shoes. I have too many 'oddments'. I'm going to try it for summer/autumn and then autumn/winter.

I'm hoping to end up with fewer clothes!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Sewingsue

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2021, 12:37:23 PM »
But I spent good money on it
Yes, I know I can't remember when I wore it
Yes, it's black and black is draining - I look better in paler colours
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2021, 12:48:17 PM »
@Sewingsue  Yes, you spent good money on it. Put it on ebay.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Helen M

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2021, 12:54:06 PM »
If you are on Facebook try Marketplace
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55