The Sewing Place

sewingj

« on: June 06, 2017, 07:42:38 AM »
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 10:30:55 AM by sewingj »

Jo

Re: Best hem for jersey?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 07:47:38 AM »
For a loose fitting garment I have no problem using a straight stitch :D
If it's a thin jersey, you might have to stabilize it. A walking foot also helps.
Here is a good article I read some time ago regarding hemming knits: https://www.craftsy.com/blog/2014/06/how-to-hem-knit-fabric/

sewingj

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 08:34:44 AM »

« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 10:30:16 AM by sewingj »

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 08:54:53 AM »
Great article Jo.
I'm just about to start sewing jersey for the first time so I found it very informative. This is all a huge learning experience for me...I haven't sewn garments since I was in my 20s.  :S
For anyone who's asking I made red and white striped dungarees to go with my GIANT hair.  ;)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Jo

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 08:59:08 AM »
Wrenkins  :D :D

I don't really sew very thin jersey and when I do I use my overlocker/coverstitch, and don't usually stabilize.
You could try using paper (I use pattern paper), see if that works out.

Efemera

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 09:11:19 AM »
I find a wider hem, about 3cm is better than a narrow one, try decreasing the pressure on the foot.

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 10:02:58 AM »
Use stretch stay tape inside a single fold hem and a twin needle.

Video demo here
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 10:09:46 AM »

I don`t want to buy a walking foot if I can avoid it.

I'd not even heard of a walking foot until a few months ago.  Now I have one and it is amazing!  All those seams I did where one side ended up longer than the other - now I know why!!

b15erk

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 10:22:18 AM »
Would fold over elastic make the hem too rigid SJ?  If so, what about a tape/lace hem on the inside, and just straight stitch the hem up just to add interest if the hem will be visible.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

sewingj

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 10:50:11 AM »

« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 10:29:17 AM by sewingj »

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 11:01:33 AM »
To make a hem look pretty on the inside, I've often sewn either tape, ribbon or lace to the edge of the hem, before turning it up.  I'm not very good at explaining so please excuse me.

I'll try to knock a sample together later if I can :)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

sewingj

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2017, 11:18:24 AM »
That`s really kind of you Jessie but I don`t think I will do that - it is blooming miles around this hem and I might lose the will to live if I have to sew something else to it first!

I`m now trying to find some fusible stretchable tape online that doesn`t have to come from America as I need it quite quickly  Any suggestions anyone?

Ellabella

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2017, 11:50:51 AM »
It might be easier and cheaper to buy some suitable fusible interfacing and just cut the width you want.

If you have a rotary cutter it takes seconds.

They seem to charge more for a reel of tape than a metre of the same stuff.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 14:38:22 PM by Ellabella »

b15erk

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2017, 11:55:52 AM »
I bought some rolls of that stuff that you stick hems up with (can't remember what you call it), at the Pound shop, 4 rolls for £1.  Is that the stuff you mean?  I just cut it lengthways to help secure hems etc before hemming.

Jessie

Jo

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2017, 12:14:28 PM »
I'd not even heard of a walking foot until a few months ago.  Now I have one and it is amazing!  All those seams I did where one side ended up longer than the other - now I know why!!
About that, I just wanted to post this video from Margaret Islaner in which she explains her method of sewing without pins: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zyTaEfo-J0
After trying it, I have never had a side turn longer than the other, even without using a walking foot. I rarely pin now, only when sewing opposing curves mostly, but my stitching is better than when it was when I was pinning the heck out of everything.