The Sewing Place

All my machines (Showing off)

Lyn-J

Re: All my machines (Showing off)
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2017, 06:36:18 AM »
That's great that Pfaff have the IDT on all their machine - well done them.

When I bought my 730 I thought it was the best machine on the market. I don't think that about Berninas now. It's very much a matter of personal choice.

When buying my 790 I compared it to a similar Pfaff. The decider was sewing some lining fabric. The Pfaff was very puckered without the IDT and a bit better with it. The Bernina without the IDT was better than the Pfaff with. Even with the IDT the Bernina was not perfect. I have since found out that there are fabric settings for the Bernina and it will sew lining perfectly when set correctly. Not sure different settings for different fabrics is the way forward when one setting on my 730 would sew all fabrics  :S  The other deciders were a preference for the Berninas in built embroidery designs and the controls seemed more logical (because I'm more used to Berninas) That's just my own personal experience, I'm not wanting to get into a this brands better than that brand discussion.

I've never tried a Janome, but I'd like to. Not to sure where to start with them as the choice is overwhelming.

Marniesews

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2017, 14:07:33 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Bernina fan (I love my Bernina coverstitch and old 1020) but just sad that so many of us are priced out of their ranges – Pfaff is far from perfect.

Fortunately, the old Bernina machines are within budget and my Pfaffs have been rather neglected since I got my 1020 a couple of years ago, unless I need the IDT, of course.  ;)
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

arrow

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2017, 15:36:41 PM »
The marked takes a turn now and them, but I think the basics are rather stable. Technology and models develp slowly, ad it takes about a decade before something new to turn up.

Is it the 730 Record you mean Lyn? At the time I think Bernina probably had the repuation for having the most userfriendly machines with best stitch quality.  They were portable machine, sturdy, dependable that weighed less than the older machines. They acutally had this since 1945, gradualy adding improvment along the way. I wonder when they sailed up as such a favorite`I think it was around the turn of 1960. Of course, they were not alone on the marked to make nice machines then either, but a they had a combination of features that turned out a success.

The top range Berninas are rather expensive these days, maybe more so than the mechanical machines ever were.  They never were bargain priced machines. I don't know all the models and makes these days, but so far I still consider Bernina of the better ones. I can't think of anyone actually out doing them. I just don't do the type of sewing worth investing that much in a brand new machine. I might have worked a bit more in the computerised direction if I found an advantage in them. I like them though. Another thing is I like the old machines I found, and I don't what to place either of them idle on a shelf.  They do the jobs I need them for just as quickly and as nice.

In my town there are many fast food places insisting they have the best kebab in town, the best sushi, etc. We just have to try to see if we agree lol

elephun

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2017, 17:32:38 PM »
I think it's easiest to buy and sew with what you know. I have Babylocks (Imagine serger, coverstitch, Elizabeth sewing machine). If I were to fall into a pile of money for a new sewing machine, I'd probably lean toward a Babylock. I don't think they are better than the other good brands, but I know they are a good brand that I'm comfortable with. Sometimes too many choices can be overwhelming.

I have a fancy newer Singer embroidery combo machine that I use as a secondary sewing machine as I don't love embroidery it turns out. It's actually a very nice sewing machine, though it doesn't see much sewing time.

I think I'd recognize a fantastic older Bernina machine at a bargain price at a yard sale or something and know to snap it up. I'm not sure about which Pfaffs to be on the lookout for, though.

Gernella

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2017, 10:13:25 AM »
Don't they look just dandy.  Around 2007 I would have thought "what the hell does she want all those machines for", but now I know, I've been educated.  Yes you can have one machine that does everything (to a point), but if it's hobby (or for a living) why not get what you need to enjoy and make life easier.  Invariably they all have particular things they are good at.

Enjoy.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

sewing in oz

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2017, 07:57:04 AM »
The top range Berninas are rather expensive these days

"Rather expensive" is understating it for Australia at least - here they start at $12,000 new.  :o  Then you need to buy the lovely but expensive feet on top.  Way above my pay scale, now or ever!  Fortunately I'm happy with my mechanical Bernies.  Latest one (830 Record) cost me the vast sum of $10 plus a fee to my service guy; now she's running like silk  :D  I'm on the hunt for a straight stitch plate for her; it won't be cheap but given how cheap the machine was, I think it will be worth it.

b15erk

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2017, 10:51:07 AM »
I have the 730 Record, but don't use it as much as I might.  It may get more use if I bring it into work with me!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Marniesews

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2017, 12:59:30 PM »
I'm happy with my mechanical Bernies.  Latest one (830 Record) cost me the vast sum of $10 plus a fee to my service guy; now she's running like silk  :D

That's the best way to get a great Bernina on a tight budget - but $10 is one heck of a find! It's like LeilaMay's £10 Featherweight!  Well done both of you. :D
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Sewingsue

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2017, 13:00:49 PM »
It's like LeilaMay's £10 Featherweight! 
Oh please don't remind us about that Featherweight  :'(
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

sewing in oz

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2017, 03:06:18 AM »
That's the best way to get a great Bernina on a tight budget - but $10 is one heck of a find! It's like LeilaMay's £10 Featherweight!
:D  yup!  Can't tell you how happy I was to get my mitts on it and the price was more than right :D

Lyn-J

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2017, 14:05:38 PM »
Is it the 730 Record you mean Lyn?
it is  0_0
(sorry meant to get back to you earlier)

Latest one (830 Record) cost me the vast sum of $10 plus a fee to my service guy
  WOW that's brilliant

There not all here any more - they are gradually going back to their new owners.  That was just a rare event - like when all the planets line up.  :D

Holly Berry

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2017, 14:42:09 PM »
I think it's easiest to buy and sew with what you know.

Apart from my vintage Singers, I have 2 Husqvarnas. One the 1200 #1 was my Mum's. She swore by them, but of course that was back in the day when they were all made in Sweden. So I umned and ared when looking for a new machine. In the end I went for the Husqvarna Sapphire 930, which also had the attraction of having a third off at SMD. I'm really pleased with it and is now my main machine.

I thought I'd done well getting my excellent condition Featherweight for £50, but £10, more than a bargain  :|
Procrastination get behind me

Sewbee

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2017, 10:04:02 AM »
Coven of Beninas - I like it   :D
The coverstitch and the newer overlocker get refereed to as the evil twins.  The are all called anything beginning with B depending on how well they are behaving.  :S
Berninas now have IDT - copied from Pfaff.  :o
The 790 is very powerful, it manage to sew through the stop on a metal zip.
I do use the 730 occasionally - she never throws hissy fits!

I have seen IDT in many posts. Can someone tell me what it stands for?

Marniesews

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2017, 11:46:01 AM »
If I could add an IDT to my old Berninas I'd be in heaven but I'm not interested in new computerised machines and could never afford the Bernina model with dual feed even if I were. I have 2 Pfaffs with IDT (one mechanical, one computerised) but they don't have the Bernina magic… so I keep & use them all as needed.

This video gives you a good insight into the IDT & what it can do but it's a selling promotion so you may want to turn the sound down a bit.  ;)
http://www.pfaff.com/en-US/About/IDT-System