The Sewing Place

McCalls 8121

charlotte

McCalls 8121
« on: September 20, 2021, 10:33:03 AM »
Just bought McCalls 8121. I have a Liberty print moto jacket which I love, but it is linen mounted on mid-heavy weight cotton twill, and the linen is starting to wear at the cuffs, and it's picked up a good deal of ingrained dirt, which I can't get out with gentle washing, but I think it might start to disintegrate in a hotter wash!

In Liberty at the weekend I saw they now do a Tana Lawn oil cloth, so I'm going to have a go at a new version with that (again mounted on a twill).

The last pattern was self drafted but I've put on a little weight since then, so I thought I'd just buy a pattern this time. I've got McCalls 8121, which looks perfect, except I think the zip is on the wrong side! What does anyone else think? My current jacket has the zip on the other side, and all the pattern and RTW pictures I've looked at have it on the other side. I can easily reverse the pieces to have it on the other side, but should I? Am I overthinking it? Is there a 'rule' for moto jackets?

I've decided I need this for my Scotland honeymoon in June, so I've got plenty of time...

Lachica

Re: McCalls 8121
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2021, 10:35:10 AM »
Sounds lovely. You've reminded me I have the Style Arc Ziggi printed out. Really should give it a go.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2021, 11:13:48 AM »
I think that zip is the right way, I made a Vogue biker jacket and it was the wrong way!  Looked at the pattern and it is the other way round to that pattern. 
I think, however, biker jackets are a law unto themselves.  Back in the day they didn't do ladies jackets and we had to buy the men's ones.  That has meant that historically, a 'proper' biker jacket zips up the man way not the ladies way!  If you get a proper motorcycle jacket for women they tend to still zip up the men's way  :facepalm:
If I try to zip up one that has it the ladies way I simply can't do it, something like trying to do up a man's shirt.
I always buy men's hoodies for the same reason  :laughing:
So, it is a matter of thinking about how you want it, and making sure the pattern is that way round.  I didn't think of it when I was doing mine and hardly wear it now.
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Nevis5

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2021, 11:33:11 AM »
I would say you have the skills to sew your zip whichever way you prefer.  I'm currently wearing a pair of M&S jeans which zip up the 'wrong' way i.e the fly is on the right hand side.  Drives me potty when I'm used to all my other pairs zipping up the other way.  Another incentive to lose that corona-stone which seems to have crept up onto my hips  :angry:

CCL

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2021, 13:51:43 PM »
I would say you have the skills to sew your zip whichever way you prefer.  :

Ditto the above - I do button bands on shirts for me the same way as the men's shirts I sew for BH.  Habit and I like them that way.  Do what feels best for you.
A hodge podge Flickr record of my sewing project albums here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/104062052@N04/albums

SkoutSews

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2021, 18:15:17 PM »
I had to look hard at the line art and think even harder, but after all that, I think you're right, it does do up the 'man's' way. Somehow it isn't very obvious to me because of the zip and the diagonal fastening.

Definitely go with your personal preference.