The Sewing Place

Table mat

Gernella

Table mat
« on: September 21, 2021, 10:38:50 AM »
Years ago our next door neighbours at the time brought us a large lace table mat from Spain, which sits in the middle of the table with a vase and a picture on (DH) in the dining room.

At the weekend I was cleaning out the window where the old lady  sits and was looking for something for the rubbish out of the window to sit on (DH's little buys, including a pot donkey :laughing:)  I wanted some newspaper but then I saw my sewing machine mat draped over the machine on the floor and grabbed that.

Well  what can I say, other than the colours on the table looked fabulous with the polished wood so I'm making another table mat in the same fabric. 

Since I won't be able to bag this will just quilting clips around the edges be sufficient?  All I can think of is just do circles around with an alternate circle of tacking to increase the width.  Not sure whether just plain and simple stitch or a fancy one?
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

b15erk

Re: Table mat
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2021, 11:06:58 AM »
Do we get a picture @Gernella ? It sounds lovely.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Gernella

Re: Table mat
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2021, 12:58:05 PM »
Do we get a picture
Jessie

In my head at the moment @b15erk   I had a job getting the fabric, Higgs and Higgs had sold out so I finished up going  somewhere else, Dalston Mill, who were cheaper but not as cheap with postage but my head was set, I wanted it.

Fortunately the pink binding I used on the machine mat, I have plenty.  I got that from Higgs and Higgs ages ago and  got a 5 meter roll (I only need around 2).  Stuffed away for later and then discovered there was not 5 meters but 25 meters on it.

The lace mat is in a scalloped edged circle so I'll have to get my Swedish paper out, pencil and string.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included