The Sewing Place

I've never come across this before....

Bloobell

I've never come across this before....
« on: June 06, 2017, 10:53:40 AM »
I'm currently altering a prom dress. Just taking it in by a couple of cm each side at the hip - should be no problem.

Outer is tulle with this really revolting (sorry, but it is) flock lace overlaid on it. The lace overlay hasn't been nicely overlapped at the side seams, so I assumed that I'd just scoop the dress inside out, pull the lining out of the way and whoosh up and down with the machine on the new seamline.

Except.....the manufacturer, in their wisdom, has somehow sewn the flaming lining into the same sodding seam. I can't pull it out of the way. I appreciate that this method stops the lining riding up, and it's a pretty good solution (short lining, giving the wearer the desired "Kardashian nude dress" feel) but boy, do I wish I'd looked inside the dress before I priced it.

Lesson learned. I'll be looking at dress construction as well as the fit, before I price in future.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 16:08:26 PM by Bloobell »

Maximum

Re: I've never come across this before....
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 11:09:58 AM »
Methinks you are not impressed with this garment  -<
I would be tempted to fix and deliver just to get it out of the house and forgotten.

maliw

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 11:38:11 AM »
Oh yes I had that issue with a bridesmaids dress a few years ago. There was a chiffon overlay and satin skirt and the two were stitched together over the hips. No wonder the top layer wasn't draping properly. I ended up undoing the side seam and waistband and had an awful job trying to do a good reconstruction but did it in the end. I wasn't getting paid as it was for DDIL (she was the bridesmaid) and we never did tell the bride but the overall finished effect was worth the effort.
Do you read this, it gives a good insight into some garment construct and what this lady does is amazing?
https://fitforaqueen.wordpress.com/page/2/
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Vegegrow

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 13:38:26 PM »
Yep I've found this before ...in my case it was a bridesmaids dress that need a little more room (pregnant bridesmaid) as the top layer  pulled over the bump  detaching all the layers so they hung independently solved the problem but it was a rotten job
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Bloobell

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 16:07:29 PM »
Well, it's fixed, so that's that. I think, on reflection, that it is quite a clever design. The lining is short (mid thigh) but the lace/tulle is long (mermaid shaped) so the lining would probably ride up and up and up as the lass dances and walks etc. At least it being attached to the outer should stop that happening.

I ended up cutting open the lining side seams, accessing the outer layer seam allowances internally for altering before stitching the lining closed again after. Ultimately it was pretty easy to fix, just different from my expectations.

Bloobell

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 16:10:34 PM »
Oh yes I had that issue with a bridesmaids dress a few years ago. There was a chiffon overlay and satin skirt and the two were stitched together over the hips. No wonder the top layer wasn't draping properly. I ended up undoing the side seam and waistband and had an awful job trying to do a good reconstruction but did it in the end. I wasn't getting paid as it was for DDIL (she was the bridesmaid) and we never did tell the bride but the overall finished effect was worth the effort.
Do you read this, it gives a good insight into some garment construct and what this lady does is amazing?
https://fitforaqueen.wordpress.com/page/2/

Fit for a queen is my favourite "Must read" blog! It gives me great comfort, on many levels.