The Sewing Place

Autumn / Winter 3-piece Sewalong

Flobear

Re: Autumn / Winter 3-piece Sewalong
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2021, 08:25:02 AM »
Morning Autumn Sewalongers.

If you're more on the ball than I am** you will know that yesterday was the starting date for sewing the Autumn / Winter 3 piece so it's a bit too late for me to say 'Ready Steady Go!'

Would love to see piccies of patterns, fabrics, hunky chaps  :P (did I say tht out loud  :ninja:)

Happy sewing.

**Three days of mayhem having new windows fitted - and not finished yet.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Starryfish

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2021, 12:44:37 PM »
I have been changing my mind about my plan. Currently it will be black jeans, a roll neck top and a casual jacket. The cream viscose print blouse idea proved too difficult to match up with a jacket and skirt or trousers, without extending my wardrobe colour palette.
I have some jersey for the rollneck top.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

It looks slightly more orange in real life, but I will pick a burgundy or very dark pink. Don't do orange or yellow tones at all.

A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2021, 12:45:42 PM »
I want to see hunky chaps too  :thumbsup:
Going to stick my fabric in the washing machine tomorrow, don't have a clothes line or dryer so who knows when it will be dry  :laughing:
Not back at work until Saturday so plenty of time to actually start something during the week
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Syrinx

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2021, 16:58:26 PM »
I need some new tops for the thing I cannot yet reveal.

So I'm thinking a couple of tops and either a skirt or some trousers - may change to leggings if I get this overlocker a friend promised to buy me!

Tempted to make a shawl type thing after seeing how much I loved those capes I made so who knows.

I've still got fabric to make some smart ish pinstriped dungarees so that may happen too. We'll see how it goes!

Tamnymore

« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2021, 17:02:41 PM »
Yes it's going to be some combination of jackety/coaty thing - although maybe a shacket cos that seems to be the current trend, an underneathy thing which would be a blouse or top and a trousery thing. I have quite a nice shacket pattern from StyleArc which might be nice to try.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Flobear

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2021, 18:18:50 PM »
Ooh @Syrinx , this is very tantalising!

And @Tamnymore - an interesting collection of 'things'  :D
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Syrinx

« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2021, 18:31:58 PM »
It is! Once I can reveal the exciting thing I shall but don't want to jinx it!

Think the pinstriped dungarees will be done at some point - the fabric is taking up space! It frays like mad so either need to interface the edges and French seam it or wait for this overlocker and do all edges with that

Sewingsue

« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2021, 20:25:42 PM »
Shacket?????
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Tamnymore

« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2021, 20:45:16 PM »
Here's the Stylearc Logan shacket
It's a cross between a shirt and a jacket. I'm trying to get down with the kids here.  ;)

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2021, 21:59:10 PM »
Ok. Two three rules for shakets. 1. Do not make it in a plaid fabric.  2. Do not wear it with torn or baggy jeans. 3. Do not wear a white t-shirt underneath it. If you do those things you change it into gang banger fashion. That is actually what a lot of the ones out there are based on.  :thumbsup:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2021, 22:07:04 PM »
Is it just me or is 'gang banger' one of those things that  mean something else in USA to UK :|
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Sewingsue

« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2021, 22:19:02 PM »
Here's the Stylearc Logan shacket
It's a cross between a shirt and a jacket. I'm trying to get down with the kids here.  ;)
Thank you (if I got down with the kids I'd never get up again)
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Tamnymore

« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2021, 22:32:42 PM »
Haha me too @Sewingsue .

I would never wear ripped jeans @Renegade Sewist . It's a fashion I've never understood. But I would indeed make the shacket in tartan  because, of course, I like to punish myself with all that pattern matching..Now I'm worrying that I could be sending out some sort of subliminal message I don't understand!

Lachica

« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2021, 22:37:56 PM »
I really hope that expression has a different meaning in the US @Renegade Sewist
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2021, 23:43:38 PM »
Yes and no. There is a partial over lap but it also is a reference to the gang boys violence.  Both bang as in hit or punch and bang bang bang as in they like to lift up their garments to show you the handgun stuffed into their front waist band. The baggy garments help with keeping your concealed weapons concealed. The overlap is that one of the methods of initiation into a gang for girls is um, servicing several of the male members. It's that or get jumped in, which is getting beaten.

If I wore a plaid shaket into certain parts of any major city in California on foot I likely would not come back out in the same condition as I entered. Especially if I'm wearing the wrong colors. Can't speak to the rest of the country. In the US there are an estimated 30,000 gangs. Gangs and street thugs, hooligans, are pretty much in most countries. They go by different names and activities. If you live rural you probably don't get exposed to much of any of them except occasionally on National News or you'll read about problems in other countries.

Our county even has a strict dress code for the county fair. It was implemented to reduce gangs clashing at the fair. Everyone who enters gets wanded with a metal detector for weapons. Quite a few people get patted down. It's different when you live somewhere where handguns are readily available. Lots of people avail themselves of them.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.