The Sewing Place

Autumn / Winter 3-piece Sewalong

cakeymcdoodle

Re: Autumn / Winter 3-piece Sewalong
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2021, 15:57:03 PM »
Question: would one coat and two dresses/jumpsuits count? I'm definitely doing the coat in October. Or can the 3 piece be one whole outfit e.g. coat/jumper/trousers?

Flobear

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2021, 18:53:04 PM »
Good question @cakeymcdoodle . As I am a complete beginner at this, I will just take a bit of advice before pronouncing!
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2021, 20:14:20 PM »
Okay, having run one of these wardrobe things elsewhere I'll give my two cents worth. @mudcat has also run one or two so she might chime in.

Generally speaking this is to make an outfit or two. So by "coat" if you mean outerwear that you'll wear with lots of other garments, generally that's outside the concept. If you mean a lighter weight jacket type garment that is about the equivalent of a suit jacket or something lighter, that worked beautifully with both dresses, absolutely yes. If it also works with other clothing you have you'll get extra value from it.

Now, if the three pieces were for hiking, skiing, trekking or feeding the chickens in the depth of winter and you made an actual outerwear coat with a coordinating top and trousers I would consider it just fine for the rules.

Also, I have a rule I follow. Read the "rules" and go by your interpretation of them. Really they're like the Pirate Code, more like guidelines. If you stick to your own interpretation you will be correct. Trust your gut. If you ask for clarification you might get told no. Where's the fun in that?  :)
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2021, 22:29:07 PM »
Ok I'm going in for this one  :scream:
I have decided to make the Grandson's a pair of pyjamas and a dressing gown each for a christmas, so that's a top a bottom and another times two!  :D
Just ordered the fabrics and going to make up the patterns as I go with a bit of help from DD1 and their old pj's.  Be ready for the dinosaur onslaught  :laughing:
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2021, 01:08:00 AM »
I took the link to @cakeymcdoodle s prior collection. Lovely grouping Cakey! Or rather Dr. Cakey.  :thumbsup: That is a great example of what we in the US consider outerwear being part of a collection or grouping. Looks comfy too.

You know, these days I think any three items that can be worn together sort of "qualify". It's Covid.2 with Covid.3 coming up right quick now. Anybody who manages to get anything accomplished is winning these days. I'm so uninspired that even my lack of motivation has left.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Iminei

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2021, 05:47:55 AM »
@mudcat ... love the cardi, just my thing and if youre in the Secret Santa this year my addre....
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Flobear

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2021, 08:57:09 AM »
I think any three items that can be worn together sort of "qualify". It's Covid.2 with Covid.3 coming up right quick now. Anybody who manages to get anything accomplished is winning these days. I'm so uninspired that even my lack of motivation has left.

Thanks for the input. I will slightly amend the rules which I left deliberately vague as I had no clue what I was doing have zero experience of this sort of thing!

eta I have added Three items intended to be worn together. One of them could be a knitted piece. to the rules. The Spring event had any two items to be worn together to make two outfits so I've gone for something different. Anyway, you need to wear more clothes in the cold season!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 09:07:10 AM by Flobear »

cakeymcdoodle

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2021, 07:57:47 AM »
It definitely looks like I could make something  even if the coat doesn't end up counting. It will be a fancy coat for special occasions and I was thinking of two fancy dresses/jumpsuits for underneath, so the coat wouldn't be worn with much else... My sewing queue changes with the breeze though so who knows what I will actually make after the coat.  :dance:

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2021, 11:15:18 AM »
@Flobear Quick question  -<
I won't be able to get pics on a dress form or on the little people as SIL has a strict 'no kids pics on internet' rule.  Assuming I actually finish them  :| will a flat on bed pic be ok? Although I suppose I could smoosh out their faces on an edit thing, if I can work it out :[
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Flobear

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2021, 11:40:04 AM »
Good question @Bumblebuncher .  If it's possible to photograph on the small peeps that would be best but, if not, then flat will do. Rather than photoshop out faces, how about if they each made a mask and wore it for the pic. That might amuse them!

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2021, 11:51:26 AM »
@Flobear Masks are a good idea  :D Will have a discussion with him and see what he says  :thumbsup:
BB

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2021, 14:07:28 PM »
Fabric arrived today  :D
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
This is for the pyjamas, the one on the left for 7 yr old (will be 8 by Xmas), one on the right for 4 year old.
And the fleece for the dressing gowns which I will make with the dinosaur fabric in different places so they can tell whose it is
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
BB

« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 14:09:36 PM by Bumblebuncher »

Lachica

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2021, 15:51:58 PM »
Lovely Dino's!
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Iminei

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2021, 05:50:48 AM »
And the fleece for the dressing gowns which I will make with the dinosaur fabric in different places so they can tell whose it is

Surely the size difference between a 4 and 8 year old will facilitate that?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2021, 10:57:28 AM »
@Iminei
One would assume that, however, there is verylittle size difference.
The eldest takes after DD1 who is the image of her father, 5'7" in his boots, olive skin, dark eyes, skinny and willowy.
The younger takes after his 6'2" father, built like a rugby player!
DD1 often gets asked if they are twins  :laughing: as facially they look alike.
Clothing wise, eldest is in age 7, youngest just about in a 6.
Height wise the eldest has a couple of inches on his brother, but it is all in the legs and the rest of it doesn't work that way lol
So I figured it would make DD1's life easier to make them different as there will be no size printed in them
BB