The Sewing Place

Autumn / Winter 3-piece Sewalong

Bumblebuncher

Re: Autumn / Winter 3-piece Sewalong
« Reply #105 on: October 21, 2021, 09:50:43 AM »
@Renegade Sewist  I did think it through lol Overlocking does squish down but also makes the seams harder against the skin.  As the dressing gowns are for the littlies I decided to go with comfort over looks.  Maybe it is just my overlocker but it always makes the seams feel scratchy to me.  The blanket stitch has left it all nice and cosy looking and feeling.  I did read somewhere a recommendation to use blanket stitch not an overlocker (admittedly only the one but hey ho  :laughing: )
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Flobear

« Reply #106 on: October 21, 2021, 09:51:27 AM »
Not late @SewRuthieSews, plenty of time  :thumbsup:

Glad to see that you have a usable sewing space in your new setup.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

toileandtrouble

« Reply #107 on: October 21, 2021, 11:00:29 AM »
@Bumblebuncher  Do you use ordinary thread or woolly nylon in the loopers?  The nylon gives a softer seam.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #108 on: October 21, 2021, 18:33:48 PM »
@toileandtrouble I have both! The white cones I have, which would be the colour in the inside of the dressing gowns, are ordinary thread.
I have to say that I very much doubt my overlocker would deal with the 6 layers of fleeces that I put through my sewing machine!
BB
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 18:37:28 PM by Bumblebuncher »
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Celia

« Reply #109 on: October 23, 2021, 16:26:23 PM »
One piece almost done just needs hemming, cat is asleep where that machine is so it can wait until tomorrow.  This is the free pattern on Jalie’s site.

It is very loose in the body with tight sleeves and quite a tight neck but I think I like it, it was left over fabric so a wearable twirl.

Flobear

« Reply #110 on: October 23, 2021, 20:32:08 PM »
Very wise to let sleeping cats lie!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #111 on: October 23, 2021, 22:27:29 PM »
Love a wearable twirl @Celia  :laughing:
Seriously, looks great.  Loose body suits me.  I have this pattern.   Might have to have a look 
Easy enough to add width to the sleeves on this.  :thinking:

Lemon Syllabub

« Reply #112 on: October 27, 2021, 14:58:05 PM »
@Celia I love that pattern, it looks very flattering.  :)

Syrinx

« Reply #113 on: October 27, 2021, 18:13:27 PM »
Update. I have made NOTHING
because dissertation and was waiting on a friend to buy me an overlocker but looks like that won't happen so plans of making things changing around a bit more and also dissertation

Flobear

« Reply #114 on: October 27, 2021, 18:27:48 PM »
S'ok, still ages nages to go! Better get that dissertation out of the way!

Tamnymore

« Reply #115 on: October 27, 2021, 18:48:22 PM »
Looks good @Celia . I've started one piece but not got very far yet as I've been busy with some work but next week there will be no stopping me!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Ploshkin

« Reply #116 on: October 30, 2021, 15:45:33 PM »
If you ever hear me say I'm going to sew something black, please tell me not to be so dull.  Likewise if I say I'm going to do a double line of top stitching.
Despite all that the jeans are coming along.  I finished the fly and was really pleased with my nice, neat, double line of  top stitching then found that I hadn't actually sewn the  second side of the zip into the fly!  I unpicked the top stitching and sewed the zip in only to find that i had caught the fly facing in the stitching..  Unpicked and re stitched it.  Started on the top stitching again and got a crappy curve.  Unpicked and did it again.  Did the parallel line inside the first to find that the machine needle hit the metal stop at the bottom of the zip ........  I won't go on!
I have now got a finished fly with a double line of top stitching.  It's not perfect but I've had to remind myself that no one is likely to be scrutinising my flies at close quarters - I hope not anyway  :)
Life's too short for ironing.

Lowena

« Reply #117 on: October 30, 2021, 15:55:55 PM »
@Ploshkin those sheep
Triumph of hope over experience :D

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #118 on: October 30, 2021, 18:07:19 PM »
Found my fabrics and taken some pictures

Bottoms - these will be trousers with an elasticated waist and lots of pockets.

I have 3.2 metres of 160cm wide fabric. Dark and slightly lighter brown strips with a pink pinstripe. It is printed onto the fabric rather than woven in and has some crosswise stretch.

Top - simple scoop necked jersey top.

2 metres of 150cm wide fabric. Pink background fabric with lovely blossom print. Stretch in both directions.

Layer - woven coatigan

2.1 metres of  135cm wide fabric. This is a blanket style fabric in dark brown, a lighter brown and cream. I've already overlocked the edges and washed it, so it is ready to go. Will definitely have big pockets and be of a reasonable length.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #119 on: October 30, 2021, 18:11:33 PM »
Ooh they’re going to work nicely together @SewRuthieSews