The Sewing Place

Autumn / Winter 3-piece Sewalong

Ploshkin

Re: Autumn / Winter 3-piece Sewalong
« Reply #135 on: November 12, 2021, 11:44:13 AM »
Although the inner waistband and pocket bags can't be seen I always enjoy having a rootle through my quilting cottons to find something to use.
Life's too short for ironing.

Flobear

« Reply #136 on: November 17, 2021, 17:49:05 PM »
Any updates to share, anyone?
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Esme866

« Reply #137 on: November 18, 2021, 05:33:50 AM »
@Ploshkin  Those jeans look great! May I ask what kind of sewing machine you used to make them?

Ploshkin

« Reply #138 on: November 18, 2021, 07:46:52 AM »
Those jeans look great! May I ask what kind of sewing machine you used to make them?
@Esme866 Thank you.  I made them with my standard machine, a Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.2 and I did the top stitching on my Singer Featherweight ( the first time I've used it  :) )

Esme866

« Reply #139 on: November 18, 2021, 09:23:58 AM »
@Ploshkin  :laughing:

I've had 2 different people ask me about a new machine that will top stitch denim recently, I told them a vintage straight stitcher is all I know of.

Well... at least I pointed them in the right direction!

Thank you!

Ploshkin

« Reply #140 on: November 18, 2021, 09:47:37 AM »
@Esme866 Prior to having the Featherweight I top stitched with the Pfaff.  I use a hump jumper at the seam intersections.  I haven't ever used the real heavy weight denim, I suspect the Pfaff would baulk at that.

Esme866

« Reply #141 on: November 18, 2021, 18:33:58 PM »
@Ploshkin The thickness of the fabric isn't  the actual problem, the quality of the straight stitch is. Zig zag machines just don't do the job, though I've read some of the newer computerized machines do pull it off. Thought you might have had one.

Syrinx

« Reply #142 on: November 19, 2021, 12:41:27 PM »
Update. Still not started anything!

This is going exceedingly well as you can see

Ploshkin

« Reply #143 on: November 23, 2021, 21:31:00 PM »
I have made a monumental cock up with my 3rd piece after first realising that I had made a lesser cock up.
Firstly, having carefully transferred all my fitting alterations to the lining pieces I sewed up the seams on the overlocker.  As I was pinning the lining in it dawned that the lining is worn ' inside out' so I had actually done the fitting tweaks, most of which are on the right side, on the left.  They were fairly minor tweaks so I can get away with it as it's the lining. 
Having started to pin it in I then found that the lining was considerably smaller than the outer, despite being cut from the same pattern pieces.  After much measuring and head scratching I realised that I had cut the back pieces forgetting to add the seam allowance for the centre back seam that I had added to make the fitting easier.
I have unpicked some very close overlocking down the back seam in slippery, quilted  fabric and managed to find a long enough strip amongst my lining fabric scraps to make up the missing width.
That was the point at which I abandoned play for the day, sometimes you just know that it's time to quit!

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #144 on: November 23, 2021, 21:58:38 PM »
I've been away - made masks before and after. Then started shortening some (dark grey) curtains from OH's old apartment to fit the window in the guest room here, I've kept taking them up and down to measure, cut, pin, check etc.
They are currently up with a pinned hem.

My other two fabrics for the 3 piece sewalong are on the back of the futon in the sewing room, but that's as far as I've got. I'm planning to use easy patterns which I've used before. If I can find the patterns they might get cut out this week.

However the curtains take priority, followed by working on my rainbow quilt, so we'll see how it goes.

Flobear

« Reply #145 on: December 06, 2021, 16:59:46 PM »
How's it going, folks?

Tamnymore

« Reply #146 on: December 06, 2021, 17:31:38 PM »
Oh heck. Is that the date? I've finished my fiddly blouse (apart from the buttons) and I'm just pinning the pattern on some lovely Abraham Moon Tweed for a jacket. The pattern is for moderate stretch knits which this Tweed isn't! I may ease it out at the top of the sleeves just in case. It's unlined but I think I might line the sleeves.  Then I have to do the trousers. These should be relatively easy as I've used the pattern before and the fabric doesn't need overlocking as it's a kind of fine boiled wool which doesn't fray.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #147 on: December 06, 2021, 21:20:31 PM »
I have completed one pair of pyjamas and two dressing gowns  :thumb:
Tomorrow I will be attacking the second pair of PJ's.  I will hope to get pics tomorrow when all is done.
I do, however, seem to have a ridiculous amount of fabric left over so I am hoping to get an addendum onto the whole project (with DD1's approval).
The fabric I used for eldest grandson PJ's leaves enough for DD1 to get a pair of PJ shorts and a top (I hope).  Youngest grandsons fabric should leave enough for PJ bottoms for SIL, and the left over fleece will make SIL a very natty dinosaur hoodie I am hoping  :laughing: SI will absolutely hate it but be forced to put it on for Xmas Eve to keep the boys happy  :D
It will, of course, give me my greatest Xmas pressie as I love nothing more than using my mother in law privileges to annoy him :laughing:
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #148 on: December 11, 2021, 20:14:06 PM »
Me again!  Second GS's pyjamas, pair of bottoms for SIL and  DD1's jimmy jams all finished  :D
All necessary Christmas pyjama sewing finished, they all need a good press, Pic for here, and wrapping up for the big day.  It seems I also have time to do the hoodie for SIL because it would be a shame not to annoy him to the greatest extent possible  :dance:
Not sure how all that fits with three items that go together because it ends up being 10 items  :laughing: But maths never was my strongest subject.
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Flobear

« Reply #149 on: December 12, 2021, 11:04:01 AM »
Good going @Bumblebuncher  :thumb:

I secretly wanted a 10-piece Sewalong but didn't think anyone would be up for it  ;)