The Sewing Place

Autumn / Winter 3-piece Sewalong

SewRuthieSews

Re: Autumn / Winter 3-piece Sewalong
« Reply #165 on: December 29, 2021, 17:17:47 PM »
Well done to those who have finished!

I'm not going to manage it, we have guests for the next two days and the clothing sewing drive is on holiday anyway.

Starryfish

« Reply #166 on: December 31, 2021, 13:01:16 PM »
I have actually completed 2 3PACs, I didn't think I would finish the 2nd one, so didn't mention it. The 2nd is  a blouse and skirt in a burgundy animal print, so can be worn as a dress, together with a boiled wool jacket. I'll get photos as soon as possible.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Ploshkin

« Reply #167 on: December 31, 2021, 13:35:47 PM »
This is my entry for the Autumn / Winter 3 piece
First is a pair of black medium weight denim jeans.  The fabric is from Croft Mill.  The pattern is McCalls 6610 (no longer in print)
This is about the 6th time I have used this pattern which I originally altered to fit me.  The majority of alterations are to the centre back to get a waistband with no gap.  To that end I have also drafted a curved waistband.  My Featherweight had its first outing for the top stitching.

Second is a cotton jersey long sleeved top from the Grainline Lark Tee pattern  The fabric came from My Fabrics.
This is another tried and tested pattern and much used.  It didn't require any alterations apart from reducing the sleeve length and overall length.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Third is a wool tweed gilet using Burda 6486  This is a pattern I have not used before.  I did quite a bit of tweaking to get a good fit at the back of the right armhole.  I liked the slightly unusual construction lines which I highlighted with some top stitching so they weren't lost in the tweed.  The fabric is a remnant of pure wool Donegal Tweed left over from a jacket I made some years ago.  I bought it from Magee on a visit to iDonegal where the tweed is woven.  The lining is a wadded / quilted polyester from My Fabrics.  The thickness of the lining made things a bit tricky because of the bulk.  I omitted the facings and lined the whole thing but I had some horsehair canvas remnants which I have used to interface the collar, armholes and hem.  I didn't love this while I was making it.  It seemed to want to fight me  but it's growing on me already and I think I will wear it a lot.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 15:41:00 PM by Flobear »
Life's too short for ironing.

Flobear

« Reply #168 on: January 01, 2022, 09:59:19 AM »
Great work, ladies  :perfect10:

I will do the same as the other contest and give until 10th January to post photos and blurb before voting starts.

A reminder that a guide as to what information to provide is on the first post of this thread.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Flobear

« Reply #169 on: January 05, 2022, 15:34:48 PM »
@Starryfish , @Bumblebuncher and @Ploshkin are in, is that everyone?

Tamnymore

« Reply #170 on: January 05, 2022, 15:42:49 PM »
Sorry - not me! I'm still working on garment #3.  :(
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Flobear

« Reply #171 on: January 05, 2022, 16:42:35 PM »
Oh well, c'est la vie. Thanks for letting me know @Tamnymore

Starryfish

« Reply #172 on: January 05, 2022, 23:00:16 PM »
  Starryfish's Entry #1

Starryfish's Entry #1

Itch to Stitch Hepburn roll neck top in daisy print on black jersey - no alterations made to pattern
Style Arc Sandra straight leg jeans in black corduroy- I widened the legs about 1" as the fabric would not look right too close to the leg it is a large wale cord. I have made this pattern many times and the back is severely modified to fit my swayback and protruding bottom.
Ottobre 5-2015 - open cardigan in cable knit wool jersey. The pattern is a favourite heavily modded from the original kneelength with welt pockets and a belt.

I am pleased with this, and have been wearing them often since they were finished. The sleeves of the cardigan have grown a bit as the knit runs along the length. I may cut them a little shorter, or just turn them up.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 15:41:48 PM by Flobear »

Starryfish

« Reply #173 on: January 05, 2022, 23:19:32 PM »
Starryfish's Entry#2

I like making 3 PACs so here is my 2nd.
Ottobre 5-2020 blouse in leopard viscose. The only modification I made was to add a double yoke, I make all my blouses and shirts with them,it gives a clean finish.
Ottobre 5-2021 skirt in the same fabric. I had enough to make the skirt about 2" longer, which was the only modification.

I can wear these as a  dress or with other items to expand their use.
You can't see the pattern in the main photo.

I made a Tessuti Lyon boiled wool jacket to go  with the blouse and skirt. It has raw edges and press fasteners,a nd was really fast to make. The colour looks red under the lights here, but is a much better match to the other garments in reality.

I like these pieces and they will get worn together, and with other items. I am actually wearing the blouse with the black cord jeans and and the white cardigan from the 1st 3 PAC at the moment.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 18:28:16 PM by Flobear »