The Sewing Place

Deer & Doe Miranda dress

Syrinx

Deer & Doe Miranda dress
« on: September 22, 2021, 18:37:00 PM »
After some great ideas on what to do with some very discounted crepe I had I decided to make this dress by Deer & Doe.

I got a lovely print out using a sewing pattern copyshop which was excellent and I'll use them again.

Easy enough pattern to lay out and cut - I did remember to cut the pieces with the flowers the right way up!

I'm not convinced by the curve on the side bodice piece,but I decidedto sew it all up and see as the fabric was so cheap and it's a relaxed flowy fit.

Really happy with the pop my bias binding gives it. Again, not sure on the cross over notch matching as seems too crossed compared to the pictures but we'llsee when I try it on with a proper bra not a sports bra.

The making up is intriguing: front bodice, back bodice, attached at shoulders. Front skirts, back skirts. Bodice front attached to skirt vear waistband, ditto for back. I think there is scope to fit pockets but I wasn't feeling the mental arithmetic. Attach waist ties. Then it was right side seam and insert invisible zip on left (a huge one! Which I'll add a pic of later). Had to pop in for supper so I'll head back in a bit for seam around zip and shoulder setting. I took 2" off the length pre cutting but it may need more off during hemming.

I rather like the pattern, though some of the modes of construction are unusual.

Pic of bodice post bias binding and cross over

Syrinx

Re: Deer & Doe Miranda dress
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 15:45:02 PM »
So I wore this into London today. The fit is rather nice now I don't have a sports bra on!

Afraid I have no full length mirror at home so I got some pics of it in the lift at two unm libraries for you all!

Have had 3 completely random people come up and tell me how much they love it and the matching mask which has made my day thrice over!

I shall try for better pics but somewhat difficult to do without a long mirror

Fun couple of pics of the facemask
Before the hair rebelled

After I first made it!

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 16:07:54 PM »
That is really pretty  :D No wonder you got compliments!
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

dolcevita

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 17:57:06 PM »
So pretty! The colours suit you really well.

Lachica

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2021, 18:23:12 PM »
Lovely! It's great to get compliments on our makes.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2021, 18:33:29 PM »
Looks really great.  And of course the mask just makes it. 

charlotte

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2021, 18:49:25 PM »
LOVE this. The fabric is beautiful and it looks amazing on you!

Syrinx

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2021, 19:40:31 PM »
Thanks guys! I really enjoyed making it and very happy with how it came out (had to cut 6" off the bottom! New petticoat ruffle methinks!). It's not a fabric pattern I usually go for for myself so to have complete strangers come up to me to say how much they love it and you lovelies doing the same really does mean the world. I'm just sorry I couldn't get better pictures - next time I wear it!

I feel like it would work in crushed velvet as an evening gown too but not sure I fancy dealing with velvet

realale

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2021, 08:28:52 AM »
That really suits you, both the colour and style. Well done on the fitting as well.  :perfect10:
So many beers, so little time.

William

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2021, 11:23:01 AM »
Really pretty dress that suits you. No wonder you received complements.
You are right - the bias binding does give the dress that pop - Bravo!
...it was a Hobbit hole, and that meant comfort.