The Sewing Place

V neck on a knit tunic

annierose

V neck on a knit tunic
« on: September 25, 2021, 15:52:45 PM »
Hello all, I dropped off the forum for some time, my sewing having had to take a back seat, but I am back, with a stash to work through!
2 years ago, on holiday, I bought a lovely, substantial knit, a wool / viscose mix. I aim to make a tunic length 'T shirt'
My arthritic hands can't manage a T-shirt V-neck now, but I would love to do one with this. It is a good weight, and I was wondering about doing a V-neck facing (I'll have a few scraps to practice on). I'd appreciate any advice - including 'stick to a round neck'

datcat23

Re: V neck on a knit tunic
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2021, 00:36:56 AM »
There is nothing wrong with a v-neck on knit fabric, and facings are certainly the way to go.  Staystitching the neckline is certainly a good option, but I use narrow strips of interfacing along the seamline to achieve the same thing (about 1cm wide).  I actually have seam stabilising tape, which is strips of interfacing, with a row of stitching up the centre of the strip.     Remember to interface the facing with knit interfacing if you have it.  I actually block fuse interfacing to a piece of fabric first, and then cut out the facing, so that it doesn't stretch out when cutting.  Also, remember to under-stitch the facing, so it doesn't roll out. 
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  6m | Items made:  2  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

annierose

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2021, 08:34:41 AM »
Thank you!
Hoping to try that today - if I don't get as far as the neck, it ill have to wait until next week.
Especial thanks for the details, and i will let you know.

annierose

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2021, 10:41:42 AM »
Despite following you detailed advice carefully datcat, I simply couldn't get the V to sit nicely on my trial piece. The knit I am using is very lovely, bought on a holiday 2 years ago. I would rather sew it with a round neck than risk spoiling it. But I will try again sometime - and thank you!

datcat23

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2021, 10:46:24 AM »
@annierose ... I understand the worry when dealing with precious fabric.  :faints: Rather than a high round neck, try a scoop neckline, with a rounded v-neck. 

But better to try the facing option next time. 
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  6m | Items made:  2  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

annierose

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2021, 11:27:39 AM »
Thanks! I used the term 'round' loosely, it will be a scoop.

Ouryve

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2021, 23:36:02 PM »
Having loved a pattern by this company, previously, and wanting to support a physical sewing shop, I bought the sew house seven Tabor tee and sweater, this morning. A few methods to achieve the V included. Should be what you're after.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2021, 12:19:17 PM »
I know this thread is a few days old, but I can highly recommend using wondertape on a knit fabric, it just makes any seams, especially a diagonal one, so easy to sew as it holds it all steady with no stretchiness.  You can still sew with a stretch stitch or overlock or whatever you wish.

annierose

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2021, 12:26:33 PM »
Thank you - and I hope that others are finding this useful. I did use the tape, but somehow just couldn't get the stitching quite right - and on a Vneck it is so obvious!
I suspect the problem is my arthritic fingers rather than your excellent advice.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2021, 21:42:18 PM »
I suspect the problem is my arthritic fingers rather than your excellent advice.

I completely understand and can unfortunately relate @annierose . Sometimes when I'm doing fiddly things I soak my hands in very warm water or wash a few dishes by hand. It seems to help a bit. Sometimes one of the pain rubs help. I use one called Biofreeze.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

annierose

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2021, 21:53:46 PM »
Thank you!

annieeg

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2021, 16:34:46 PM »
This thread is very well timed for me - I'm trying to make a tunic with a very lightweight knit.  Can @Bodgeitandscarper (or anyone else) please tell me what wonder tape you would recommend using to stabilise the seams?
TIA

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2021, 16:58:25 PM »
This is what I've been using, I think it was the cheapest I could find at the time @annieeg
If I'm sewing jersey seams on the overlocker, I don't stabilise them, but I think it would help on a sewing machine.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 17:00:18 PM by Bodgeitandscarper »

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2021, 17:03:47 PM »
I used to use Collins but believe it’s been discontinued.  So I’d probably be using this
https://www.sewessential.co.uk/dritz-washaway-wonder-basting-tape?gclid=Cj0KCQjwqp-LBhDQARIsAO0a6aJoVKxLbIds0EOJhl9Vu0vuGuoiy772txLnwtGStIaOehrbvzo726IaAggDEALw_wcB

I never stabilise seams either. 

Helen M

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2021, 19:19:00 PM »
I only ever stabilise the shoulder seams @annieeg  and use an iron on tape that I got in the US. One is a sewkeys (sorry if I've got spelling wrong) and the other came from Fabrique near Dallas. I don't find the other seams need stabilising on the whole.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 23:16:56 PM by Helen M »
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72