The Sewing Place

Last minute practical kitchen makes for uni

Marniesews

Last minute practical kitchen makes for uni
« on: September 27, 2021, 00:48:10 AM »
We live a quiet life these days so I suppose this classes as fun.  ;)

I'm trying to drum up the enthusiasm to make a laundry bag for my granddaughter going off to uni but I got side tracked into making some gripper cloths for opening recalcitrant jars as she has quite small hands and struggles with some kitchen tools - her excuse for pinching her mum's tin opener, supposedly the only one she can use reliably.

I used some odd yellow fabric that is somewhat rough and synthetic feeling and some firmish fusible woven interfacing bought at Immanuel's last month for £1pm. I got it for bag making but this is its first outing, initial signs look good. The gripper is the rubber mesh non-slip stuff that Ikea sells and it does seem to work very well. The binding is neon orange stretch satin bias, it was still out after adding it to a net overskirt last week. At least she'll spot them stuffed down the bottom of a box when she needs one.

These were just meant to be prototypes but I decided she wasn't bothered how imperfect they were. Things must be good if this is the main thing I'm worrying she may be short of!  0_0

They might make quite a good little stocking filler to use up the odd unwanted patchwork square?
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Iminei

Re: Last minute practical kitchen makes for uni
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2021, 06:00:37 AM »
I too have small (but not freakishly Trumpian small) hands with little strength ... I use a rubber glove kept under the sink for such purposes.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sheilago

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2021, 08:48:45 AM »
I too have small (but not freakishly Trumpian small) hands with little strength ... I use a rubber glove kept under the sink for such purposes.

Good tip @Iminei , must try a rubber glove. I have various opening gadgets, but I still find some types of jars and bottles tricky. :D

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2021, 11:54:06 AM »
I also use the rubber glove technique.  My hands are small but the main problem is the arthritis now. 

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2021, 16:19:06 PM »
wow it never occurred to me that we could sew them.

I have a rubber cone shaped thing which works well - I think it was 99p in one of those discount shops.
Mine is red but it looks like this.

Ploshkin

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2021, 09:47:27 AM »
I've asked the postman to get lids off things a few times!  :)

William

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2021, 17:46:33 PM »
My wife has a technique that works...
She gives it to me...

But on those days when my arthritis is being difficult I use one of those rubber things in the picture.

WD
...it was a Hobbit hole, and that meant comfort.