The Sewing Place

Remake from Primark hoodie

Celia

Remake from Primark hoodie
« on: September 27, 2021, 10:12:33 AM »
Yesterday i was sorting out more clothes and found a nearly new hoodie in a lovely shade of red, I don’t wear it because it has the most horrible zip, heavy metal and stiff.

I was about to throw it out when I remembered i had had trouble trying to but some cheap sweatshirts in bright colours that are long enough, so I have unpicked the zip and tacked the front together, now i just have to decide if I am going to take the hood off. Hopefully photos will follow

Has anyone else good hacks for ready made items

Celia

Re: Remake from Primark hoodie
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2021, 11:48:07 AM »
Here is a photo, just tacked together

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2021, 11:52:54 AM »
Good idea.  Nice to have a garment you can wear from something you couldn’t.  I’ve got a jumper I’ve never worn and plan to make a cardigan from it.  Even if it’s edge to edge it will be better than not using it.  Don’t wear jumpers any more.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2021, 14:55:15 PM »
How about putting a light weight plastic zip in it?

Celia

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2021, 16:12:02 PM »
Yes I did think of that @Bodgeitandscarper but I am happy without a zip, if anything I am shorter of sweaters than cardy type things. It really is a nice quality fabric especially for Primark

maliw

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2021, 17:00:43 PM »
You could cover the seam with a braid and put more round the sleeves and the hood??????
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Helcat_42

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2021, 08:08:36 AM »
I think you might find that if you take the hood of the neck hole is too wide and would annoy you; but I might be biased as I am a bit partial to a hood.

I liked maliw's suggestion of putting a braid to make a feature. Alternatively maybe you could applique something onto the front over the seam?

Catllar

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2021, 09:20:50 AM »
Great remake!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

William

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2021, 09:39:44 AM »
Well done!
Unless it bothers you, do not change the way it looks now: remember that is the way ot was made to look.
It could be a bit of work for not much outcome.

Unless it bothers you  ;)

WD
...it was a Hobbit hole, and that meant comfort.

Arloony

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2021, 11:25:14 AM »
@Celia ...have you started your hoodie make over yet?
I would love to see photos

Arlene :loveit:

Missie

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2021, 10:19:15 AM »
Good idea.  Nice to have a garment you can wear from something you couldn’t.  I’ve got a jumper I’ve never worn and plan to make a cardigan from it.  Even if it’s edge to edge it will be better than not using it.  Don’t wear jumpers any more.

I have one of these remakes that has been sitting in my UFO pile for a looooooong time (longer than I would care to admit to actually).  I've made an tacked on a button band but I think I ground to a halt as I was going to a hidden hook and eye closure but have not actually got round to doing that.  I also bought some fabric to make a skirt to go with it, which, yep you've guessed is in the UFO pile.  Actually, it hasn't even made it to the UFO pile!  :scream: :facepalm:

Celia

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2021, 10:49:26 AM »
Thank you for reminding me, I have just tacked it to get and you guessed it it, its hanging on the back of the door and that’s it.  I will try very soon to finish this.  I did think about buttons etc @missy but I have decided to just leave it as a pull on hoodie, it was after all the zip that was so horrible.