The Sewing Place

Circular Knitting Needle Question

Celia

Re: Circular Knitting Needle Question
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2021, 13:34:27 PM »
@Lowena i think that was my post the £78 but you have to remember I made my living through  knitting for over 20 years, actually now I think about it it was over 25 years : :devil:

coffeeandcake

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2021, 14:03:10 PM »
I've got 3 different brands of circular needles. HiyaHiya are okay; Pony I'm not so keen on. I've currently got a cardigan and some socks on Addi Premium (different needles ;)) which I like.  My favourites, though, are Addi nature bamboo.

Ann

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2021, 16:26:32 PM »
My favorite are Chiaogoos as they are the only circulars I own that the cables don't twist and the yarn moves smoothly from cable to needle. I have carbonz, knit picks, and one other brand and they all give me issues. As they wear out, I'll replace them with Chiaogoos. And they may get replaced if I get mad at them. Knit picks (you call them Knit Pros) are my second favorite. I have the colored ones and they do drive me nuts on occasion. The carbonz are the worst and I've actually worn out one of them and had to toss them. For dpn's I like the carbonz the best. The yarn doesn't slip off them as easily as wooden ones. 
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

b15erk

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2021, 07:40:01 AM »
Thank you all soooo very much, this has been really helpful, and I have decided to bite the bullet, and invest in the Chiaogoos...

This is because, I received my first new set of needles yesterday - the KnitPro Basics, and they are lovely.  They feel really nice, despite being the cheapest, but the problem is still there, and it's the cable end of the join which seems to be the problem... not the needles (I should have checked it out better!)

I have a couple more needles coming, and I think I'll keep them, but them, I'll start making a list of the Chiaogoos I need.  No sense in buying a set, when there are needles in there I'll never use.  I may as well take some time, and have a look at what I have, and what I use most.

I will report back... :thumbsup:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Celia

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2021, 09:43:12 AM »
I think that is an excellent idea, it took me some time to find my favourites. Do try some with the mini cables as this is the big difference for me, I do use the other cables occasionally but mainly only on heavier yarns.

Sheilago

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2021, 10:58:46 AM »
Now started a new cardigan that requires a 2mm circular pin, so I bought a Knit pro one after reading suggestions here. It knits beautifully with no snagging, but today I have a sore finger from the very sharp point. I suppose that’s unavoidable with such a small needle. I might have to put a plaster onto protect my finger in future - you can’t win!

Kenora

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2021, 11:27:12 AM »
I have sets of Knitpro metal interchangeable needles - can't remember their proper name, but I never have any problem with the yarn catching at the joins. I think you have to make sure that the cable and needles are screwed together really, really tightly using the little tool that's supplied for the job. :) Hope you have success in your search for the perfect needles!
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

charlotte

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2021, 10:12:19 AM »
Now started a new cardigan that requires a 2mm circular pin, so I bought a Knit pro one after reading suggestions here. It knits beautifully with no snagging, but today I have a sore finger from the very sharp point. I suppose that’s unavoidable with such a small needle. I might have to put a plaster onto protect my finger in future - you can’t win!

I have a leather sashiko thimble which I have to use with certain needles/yarn/gauges. It's the side of the finger on my left hand that gets sore - I think I must use it to help the needle through, but my knitting is too instinctive to slow down and work out what is happening (if I overthink, I can't do it!) so I just use the thimble!

Catllar

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2021, 13:30:52 PM »
This is interesting - although I have knitted for years and used to be a translator for Phildar France I've never tried circular needles until recently when I bought myself a set as I was fed up with my assortment of mismatched straight pins and unable to buy short pins here. Have knitted up the body of a sweater no problem but how the heck can you do sleeves on circular needles - always too much cable to stitches . Is there something I should know?

Also why are you getting needles in your fingers ? I never touch the tips???? I work with the yarn round my left index finger so I don't have to push the stitches off - somehow they just slide off.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

b15erk

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2021, 13:38:33 PM »
@Catllar , it's been an interesting journey for me to figure out how to use Circulars, and also Dpns.  The (expensive) difficulty with interchangeable needles, is that they are not interchangeable between brands, and I have learnt an expensive lesson while changing to Chiagoo interchangeable needles.

I haven't had a problem with sleeves, but I have only knit Neck Down.  I would think that if you have a problem, it may be easier to change to Dpns or buy a smaller cable.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2021, 13:45:10 PM »
@Catllar  magic loop is the answer.  You don't have to have the correct sized cable, you can knit any sized tube on a long cable - the excess cable sticks out in a loop each side of the knitting and you pull the cables through the stitches when you reach the loop.
That's as clear as mud.  If you like videos there are lots showing you how to do it.  If you prefer written instructions there is a tutorial that I put on here in the tutorials section.

Additionally, you can get shorter interchangeable needles which make it easier to knit narrower tubes.
Life's too short for ironing.

Catllar

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2021, 14:10:34 PM »
@Ploshkin, I tried pulling the excess cable out the sides as my first rational approach, (didn't know this had a name)  but to be fair it was quicker to do the rows back and forth on the sleeves. Didn't know you could get shorter needles - whole new world!  I'll check that out. Thanks.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !