The Sewing Place

Circular Knitting Needle Question

b15erk

Circular Knitting Needle Question
« on: September 29, 2021, 07:57:09 AM »
I am suffering with painful hands, and my knitting needles aren't helping.

I am a recent convert to knitting in the round, using either circulars, or dpns.  The dpns don't cause me a problem, as I just use plain bog standard (the grey type) needles. Sometimes though, I like to use circulars, and I'm struggling to finda brand which suits.

KnitPro are OK on the hands, but the cords (and where they attach), catch on the yarn, driving me nuts, and I have to stop often to help the yarn over the join.

Haya Haya, are too pointy, and painful to work with, although they don't seem to jar on the yarn as much.

It's an expensive business trying new ciculars, so I would like your thoughts.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Flobear

Re: Circular Knitting Needle Question
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2021, 08:02:59 AM »
I have a set of Knitpro symphonie and never have a moment's trouble with catching. The only occasional problem is if I fail to use the dooberry to tighten them and they work loose from the cable. They are expensive but worth it to my way of thinking.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2021, 08:15:36 AM »
Thanks, @Flobear , I've been looking at those. 

In fact, I have a set of the Symphonie dpns (not used yet).  I think I may give them a try - at least they will interchange with the cords I already have - unlike the Haya Haya, which have a different system...

They are a rather expensive thing to get wrong.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Sheilago

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2021, 08:46:20 AM »
Good timing @b15erk !  I’ve been knitting a cardigan for my new granddaughter, due in January. I had to use a 2.75mm circular pin and it drove me crazy the whole time, snagging on the join. I have a bag of all sorts of circular pins- really wish I’d invested in good ones at the beginning.  :S

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2021, 09:12:42 AM »
I also have Knitpro Symphonie and the join is really smooth, never had anything catch and the wood is lovely to knit with.
Only slight downside Is the multi coloured wood - in poor light with dark yarn on small size needles it can be difficult to see the stitches if you're doing something a bit intricate.
Life's too short for ironing.

Flobear

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2021, 09:28:09 AM »
And the reason I have the Symphonie collection is that I saw Ploshkin's and immediately coveted them. I had a couple of metal-ended fixed sets before but also found the catching issue as well as unfriendly points.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2021, 09:44:37 AM »
I've just ordered two new interchangeable circulars.  I stuck to KnitPro, as I have lots of cords and accessories.

First up is Symphonie at £5.20, and then another I spotted called Basic Birch at £3.08 - both Amazon with Prime delivery.

We shall see how they go.

I'm always tempted my the selection sets, but the last time I bought one, it proved to be a waste of money, as I mainly use smaller needles.

There are some called Trendz which are acrylic, but I can't see smaller sizes, if I can find anything less than 4mm I may give them a go too.

Jessie

Celia

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2021, 10:11:23 AM »
I have been through every brand of circulars at great expense but I knit everyday and can’t use straight needles due to a combination of hand and a shoulder injury.

My favourite by far are Chiaogoo needles especially the small sizes with the very fine cable,

https://www.purlescence.co.uk/Brochure/Needles

I have bought adapters to use the fine cables on the larger sizes too for some jobs.  I have a full set of Hiya hiya needles they are great needles but somehow don’t suit me.

Ellabella

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2021, 10:36:51 AM »
@Celia are the cables for the Chiaogoos better than the Knitpro ones.  I love my Symphonie needles but the cord I am using at the moment has a funny twist.

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2021, 11:26:29 AM »
@Celia , they look lovely!  Not sure how bamboo needles work for me, so maybe I'll order one set of those to give them a try.

Christmas is coming, so lots to think about!

Jessie

Celia

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2021, 12:12:52 PM »
@b15erk

These https://www.purlescence.co.uk/Brochure/Needles/Chiaogoo-TWIST-MINI-Interchangeable-Set.  And
https://www.purlescence.co.uk/Brochure/Needles/Chiaogoo-TWIST-Shortie-Sets

Are my favourites I use them about 90 per cent of the time, I am glad to say I didn’t have to pay these rather silly prices but considering the amount I use them and the fact that I don’t go out very much I would probably buy them again if mine disappeared  :devil:

I am not a fan of bamboo needles I do have some but only use them when I am using very slippy yarns or if it’s very hot in the summer.

Celia

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2021, 12:17:55 PM »
@Celia are the cables for the Chiaogoos better than the Knitpro ones.  I love my Symphonie needles but the cord I am using at the moment has a funny twist.
@Ellabella
Yes I find them better but there are 3 different types, I knit a lot with magic loop and use the very fine twist cables, I couldn’t get on with knit pro cables, especially for magic loop

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2021, 12:50:14 PM »
Good grief!   Who knew knitting could be so complicated?  I suppose it’s the same as sewing  :thinking: but I’m comfortable and au fait with all that. 

b15erk

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2021, 13:03:36 PM »
@Ohsewsimple , knitting life, did indeed used to be very simple - and then I discovered projects knitted in the round!

All of a sudden, I'm down a Rabbit hole of DPNS, Fixed Circular needles, Interchangeable Circular needles - and all their associated and various attachments!

I do love what I can achieve using these tools, but they are a project in themselves - and not cheap. :rolleyes:

Jessie

Lowena

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2021, 13:30:01 PM »
As I haven't knitted anything for 67 years  :faints: I would still expect a pair of straight, metal needles and enough wool for a scarf for £5  :thumbsup:  :D
I saw @Stitches knitting , using a most odd contraption of pointy bits and earphone wire ( well that's what it looked like  :thinking: ) and decided.......I'm too old to relearn to knit  :|
Then I read the post from @Gernella  and saw £78  :faints: I'd want a wardrobe full of jumpers for that!
Triumph of hope over experience :D