The Sewing Place

Silk hunt for an evening dress

Syrinx

Silk hunt for an evening dress
« on: October 01, 2021, 09:54:19 AM »
I've got a ball to go to in December and I've decided to make a dress. After much pattern hunting I'm going with Mccalls 6838 with the long skirt with slit, waterfall overskirt, and plunged bodice.

I am feeling like silk might be a nice fabric for the main dress and bodice as it has a nice shine and fall without being too heavy but other than making a few bits out of silk scraps I'm not really sure where one goes to buy nice silk! I was thinking mulberry silk because the colour is better and it doesn't rustle like haboti but feel free to correct me if you've more experience with silks.

If I do go silk for the main dress (haven't looked in detail at bodice pattern but I can make corsets so may just have to make the bodice and use silk as fashion layer) I'm not sure what to use for the waterfall overskirt - a lighter organza shot silk? Or is that not lightweight enough for the floaty look of the pattern.

Evening dresses are a new venture for me so any and all advice welcome!
  • bec likes this

Missie

Re: Silk hunt for an evening dress
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2021, 10:50:12 AM »
Ive had good service from Harringtons , McCullogh& Wallis and and ther was another in Nottingham that I've forgotten the name of, something like Bridal Lace & Fabrics.  I did used to get silk from Hong Kong but the supplier sadly retired and they were the best!

Re the dress, Organza is not really floaty, although it is sheer; it isn't overly stiff, but definitely not what I would call floaty.  If it is floaty you are wanting, I would suggest chiffon.  It's a beautiful style dress.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2021, 12:12:52 PM »
An exciting project.  I guess it depends on the look you’re after for the overlay.  I’d agree with @Missie about using chiffon if you want it floaty.  If you just want an overlay that stands out, like the orange version, then organza would work.  Of course there are various types of silk organza available.  Some are softer than others. 

I’ve used Beckford Silks a few times.  Found them very helpful.  I used them because I found coloured silk that I wanted was a bit difficult to get hold of.  Of course it depends how much you need and how much you can afford to spend.  They have all sorts of different silks in different weights in matching colours but not cheap! 

Syrinx

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2021, 13:01:35 PM »
Thanks! I'll check them all out and see if I see anything I like.

I'm short so was hoping for a structured float - hence the organza thoughts. Figured it may not be the most flattering if it was a very soft waterfall look with chiffon but I don't know! Not made an overskirt like that before.

Missie

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2021, 14:16:50 PM »
Thanks! I'll check them all out and see if I see anything I like.

I'm short so was hoping for a structured float - hence the organza thoughts. Figured it may not be the most flattering if it was a very soft waterfall look with chiffon but I don't know! Not made an overskirt like that before.

Lol, structured float! Don't think a non-sewing person would ever get that!! But yes, for a more structured float or such as in the picture then the organza would work.

And I'd forgotten about Beckford Silk.  They are very good too!

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2021, 15:43:49 PM »
Truro fabrics?

https://www.trurofabrics.com/silk-fabrics.html 

Includes *Cornish* tartan!

Some of it is a bit pricey, though  :o