The Sewing Place

Janome Coverpro 2000CPX Thread Issue?

Gernella

Janome Coverpro 2000CPX Thread Issue?
« on: October 04, 2021, 19:19:22 PM »
 I've been highly delighted with this machine since I got it in 2016, and upgrade from the 1000cpx.  What I did notice is that when I finished I could take the thread out quite easily but I've noticed over the years that it has become increasingly harder.

I usually use threads that came with the machine, nothing special and generally lighter range of colours.  This afternoon I had to scrabble around for something towards hot pink and  finished up using some red Gutermann Terra that I've used just with the overlocker.

Result was that the thread came out of the machine cleanly when I'd finished with no problems. Now I'm wondering if just using what came with it and replacing with the same, was not a good idea. I only ever use these threads with the Janome, the Bernina overlocker always gets spoiled with decent thread and if no match I use Gutermann Mara 120.

In addition to this I had no tweaking the stitch, it just ploughed on, no skipping at all, even though it was a fine jersey, which can sometimes be a problem getting it right.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Kenora

Re: Janome Coverpro 2000CPX Thread Issue?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2021, 19:57:41 PM »
Mine never worked well with the threads that Janome supplied with it, so I ditched them and used them for hand tacking. Instead, I use Gutermann Sew All in the needles and either Madeira Aeroflock or Superior Threads Polyarn in the looper. This combination has been the most reliable for me, with no skipped stitches or other problems. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Helen M

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2021, 20:29:50 PM »
My 1000CPX sews okay with whichever colour match is the best. I find overlock thread works well in the looper and for some reason black thread more difficult to sew with. Maybe it's the dye as black knitting wool never feels the same as other colours.

I use the threads supplied for tacking as well @Kenora, they aren't the best by any means!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2021, 21:18:13 PM »
There is a definite difference in black dye.  Not long ago I read an article about bra sizes which stated black may come  up smaller than other colours because black dye affected cotton (in particular) and other fabrics differently. Bras are sometimes made and dyed afterwards which is why it might be a problem... Whodathunkit?
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Helen M

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2021, 22:37:42 PM »
Funny that you mention bras @Bumblebuncher! I have found that to be true with 2 of the same style but different colours.

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2021, 23:28:57 PM »
There is a definite difference in black dye.  Not long ago I read an article about bra sizes which stated black may come  up smaller than other colours because black dye affected cotton (in particular) and other fabrics differently. Bras are sometimes made and dyed afterwards which is why it might be a problem... Whodathunkit?
BB

Interesting!  If the bra is cotton, or mostly cotton, that could be true as the fabric could shrink during the dyeing process , but if it's polyester I don't think it would apply.   

Synthetic threads and fabrics are very difficult to dye.  They are coloured in the molton state before the fibres are extruded so black polyester fabric has always been black. 
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Gernella

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2021, 10:48:47 AM »
Actually I put new needles in before I started on the slippery Jim fabric, first time ever since 2016, maybe this was another factor for perfection with no messing around.  I only use it probably around twice a year for the top 'season' rest of the time it is packed away.

I must admit black is a colour I never ever use.  Still got the original box of black that came with the first Janome Coverstitch.

I was about to buy a Coverstitch book last night after reading a webpage
https://www.thelaststitch.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-coverstitch-machines/

But then gave myself a slap. I was watching a video as well, no sound, to see a piece of navy fabric be placed under the needles, be shifted around a few times, touched, stretched, I shunted forward but still no more action so I left.

The only thing I can really confirm  that I would love this air threading on my overlocker.
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Gernella

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2021, 16:30:24 PM »
Well I had a rude awaking this afternoon with my coverstitcher.  Was doing the neck of my top.  Tried on fabric, was fine, went to the fabric and stitched.  Nasty little gaps. here and there. I have a choice of two culprits, it was the thread, I didn't want to take out of the overlocker so used Gutermann Sew All, two of them in the needles or the fact that I stopped a few time and my foot went down accidentally with the needles raised and once I went back instead of forwards.  Also I had practiced on double thickness and it  was triple.

Anyway I swapped to 120 thread and went round with no problems and carried on to do the hem and sleeve hems.  Fortunately I have ordered some more to be  spread between both machines.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2021, 16:58:53 PM »
Glad you got it sorted.  Sometimes it’s a puzzle we never really understand but if it’s solved it’s ok.

Helen M

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2021, 17:10:23 PM »
@Gernella something I find, or did find until I lowered the feed dogs as several people have done, is that if you stop it can sometimes cause a skipped stitch.

Gernella

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2021, 18:15:41 PM »
I normally don't have this problem @Helen M I just make sure that if I do stop for some reason, I start with the needles down.  I should have taken my foot right off the pedal, it set off before I wanted it to.

This fabric has always been a beggar.  First time I used it I was getting tunnelling all the time, until I got the right settings.  Trouble is I bought 3 meters for a dressing gown, changed my mind so turning it into tops. The original one is a bit baggy around the neck because I've lost weight.