The Sewing Place

Baby blanket

Jo

Baby blanket
« on: June 07, 2017, 10:02:06 AM »
A good friend is due to have her baby at the end of August, and I'd like to make a baby blanket for her new born.
I think I would like to use some fleece for one side (maybe minky?) or maybe faux fur, but I'm not sure what I could use for the other side. I haven't done patchwork before, and I'm not sure I want to (don't want it to be too much work), but I'd like to quilt it (not sure that's even the proper word, what I mean is I'd like to sew both layers together so they don't move independently) and embroider it.
I don't have kids and really don't know what would be useful and what not.
Any advice is very welcome.

BrendaP

Re: Baby blanket
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 11:23:15 AM »
Fleece is OK but I wouldn't use faux fur for a baby blanket - little ones put everything into their mouths.

Minky or cuddle fleece is the softest, just make sure that any stray fibres at the seams are pulled away before giving it to the baby.

Could you find a nice nursery pattern fabric and just use a single piece for the top?

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Jo

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 13:28:46 PM »
Thank you Brenda. That's a good point about the fur, hadn't tought about it.
I want it to be soft, but durable. I found a lot of fun prints, but the fabric is a not so soft cotton, and I'm not sure how ok that would be.
Should I use any batting?

Syrinx

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 19:30:41 PM »
You can do a top and backing only if you use something like cuddle fleece as it's fairly thick all by itself.

You can get fabric that looks like patchwork and then you can "quilt" over it however you like.

All cotton goes soft after a few washes and a baby blanket will defintely have a bunch of those!

fajita

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 00:04:08 AM »
I made this one earlier this year for a pregnant colleague.

It is one layer of very soft star patterned fleece, backed with green quilting cotton. It is caught together by stitching around the star shapes.

Lantana

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 00:46:08 AM »
That's really lovely Fajita  <3

L :vintage:

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 10:50:08 AM »
I'm going to try something I saw a while ago, a 'self bound' baby blanket I think it's called.

It's just two layers, which is what I want, as DD is having a July/August baby, so it will (hopefully) be warm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqwdNqMZ8Ro

I have lovely cotton for the top, and a soft, fleecy fabric for the bottom.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.