The Sewing Place

Bobbin Problem

b15erk

Bobbin Problem
« on: October 07, 2021, 12:21:49 PM »
I had an easy job lined up yesterday, turning a favourite duvet cover of Lilya's into a couple of fitted sheets.  Cotton fabric, so straightforward - wrong! 

All started well, until my bobbin ran out.  The bobbin winder on my 1475 cd, is a bit tempramental, (she's an old girl after all), but, re-filled and re-fitted, I started sewing again.

Right from the start, the stitching was playing up, but I couldn't find the problem.  The thread kept breaking, and my machine wasn't happy at all... :facepalm: :thinking:

I was trying to finish the sheet before investigating further, but it was driving me mad.

I cleaned out the bobbin area,  and gave it a drop of oil.  Still playing up. :rolleyes:

I decided to re-thread from scratch.  Still the same...

Scratching my head, I took the bobbin out, and looked at it closely.  It was standing proud of the bobbin holder!  :scream: Scratching my head as to how just one bobbin in a batch can be faulty???

I took it out and replaced it, winding the old thread from the faulty bobbin.  When it came to the end, the bobbin slpit in half!   :faints:

I realised then what had happened.  The bobbin appears to have been wound far too tight, and sprised the bobbin in half...

All is as it should be now, but this is a perfect example of how seemingly trivial things, can cause very annoying problems.

Everything is now fine, and my Pfaff is hopefully good for a few more years!  :perfect10:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Gernella

Re: Bobbin Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2021, 14:59:33 PM »
I'm afraid I use a Sidewinder @b15erk I've wondered a few times if I might have problems, especially when I've used a massive cone to fill the bobbin with a bit of aerial 'wiring' above to get it down  to the Sidewinder. 

It must have been a relief when the bobbin fell apart and it was not machine error.  I push my luck sometimes and when the Sidewinder stops I move the pin aside and wind a bit more on.

I discovered today that I couldn't use a bobbin on the Coverstitch with the pin too chunky and finishing up hand winding onto a small reel.

Stash extension 2021 -21.7 meters
Left at the end of 2020 - 47.5 meters