The Sewing Place

Free Jalie pattern

Celia

Free Jalie pattern
« on: October 07, 2021, 15:31:33 PM »
On my hunt for a sweatshirt type pattern I found this https://jalie.com/collections/fashion-patterns-free. Ok not a sweatshirt but for free I thought it was worth trying.

realale

Re: Free Jalie pattern
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2021, 15:48:04 PM »
Thanks for the link @Celia. I had a look at it but decided it wasn't for me, too boxy and with dropped shoulders, not my preferred style.
I do like Jalie patterns and have made their city coat at least three times.
I really would like a rugby shirt pattern but so far haven't found one - except on etsy and ebay at the wrong size and wrong price. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would like that.  :) The nearest I can get is the Jalie polo shirt and various other polo shirts but a rugby shirt? not a chance. Yet they made one on the sewing bee but I haven't seen an associated pattern. I'm probably looking in the wrong places.....
So many beers, so little time.

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2021, 15:56:17 PM »
It's a polo shirt again, but the Jess from StyleArc comes with long sleeves, and I'm intending to make one with rugby shirt type fabric.  I'll probably make a larger size than for a polo shirt, but StyleArc give the finished measurements, and I always make my size decisions based on those anyway.

I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

realale

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2021, 16:05:40 PM »
Thanks @Acorn. I had seen that and it was on my maybe list.
Most pattern suggestions are for men.
There's a Merchant and Mills dress but the photos are less than inspiring and it doesn't have a hidden placket and it says the pattern is not available for purchase!! sigh
So many beers, so little time.

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2021, 16:25:03 PM »
I know what you mean.  I've been looking for a pattern for what Cotton Traders call a 'button neck sweatshirt' for years.  I don't want a zip neck.  I don't want a hoodie.  I want something a bit like this (probably without the pocket or the colour blocking, but I can deal with them myself):

Is it really such a strange thing to want??
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2021, 18:28:40 PM »
Thanks @Celia , much appreciated.  I like the StyleArc pattern...

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Celia

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2021, 20:20:06 PM »
I like stylearc patterns too, however Jalie tops seem to be a better fit on me and I frequently mix and match bits of the patterns.

Free must be good  :devil: I have downloaded and printed and put together the pattern so maybe cutting out tomorrow, I just want to try one of their PDFs as I would like to buy a couple of their patterns and this will be a good trial.

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2021, 20:50:34 PM »
I think I may have a couple of pieces of fabric which may suit this pattern... :thinking:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2021, 21:36:31 PM »
@Celia  and @realale  thanks for the Jalie pattern. I'm  not interested in a "sweatshirt" type  top so wasn't going to look until Realale said boxy and dropped shoulder.  :dance: Yes! I love boxy and dropped shoulder,  they work on my body and suit my lifestyle. These days that's hanging out at home, staying cool in summer or warm in winter.  :thumbsup:

I have patterns and many purchased knits that are boxy, slim fit sleeves but they are all either boat neck or more open. This top is perfect for cold weather. Plus it can easily be constructed on the overlocker.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2021, 23:11:57 PM »
@Acorn  I just altered a Cotton traders ' button neck sweatshirt'  to a zip up front for someone!  I have saved the placket to see how they constructed it.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Celia

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2021, 11:09:35 AM »
Well its all cut out and ready to sew, it was easy to put together so I am now tempted to buy more PDFs from them as I am finding it more difficult to buy Jalie patters in the UK.

Celia

Re: Free Jalie pattern. Review
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2021, 11:48:40 AM »
I have now finished this top and am pleased with it, just to let anyone know the fit is interesting it is very loose in the body but the sleeves and the neck are fitted,  it too tight but more fitted than I was expecting.  The fabric I used is a very soft stable but stretchy jersey.

This photo is before it was hemmed